Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, North Devonian said:

Received a text from DHL stating delivery will between 13.43 and 14.43 , the wife is due to go out at 13.45 . This could be stressfully close !

I’m already doomed…

my first lot arrive today, only she’s at home.. i’m in Manchester.

No way to hide that box.

It looks like dbso’s arrive today too, just to add to it.

Whats worse is my trip home was meant to be via Quorn tomorrow, but I just learned that Bachmann event is on sunday… i’m not sure going back empty handed tomorrow with some big boxes at home is better or worse than coming a day later with a boot full of loot as well.

i’m beaten.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I just watched a quick video on YouTube from someone called BBC Model Railway Eddie of Gordon Highlander. He turned it upside down and a screw was missing from one of the fuel tanks. His reaction was unreal. He got really angry because it was missing and he asked “who quality controlled this one because they didn’t do a bloody good job of it and when you’re paying 250 notes for a loco you expect the bloody screws to be there!!!” I mean for crying out loud. The body isn’t held on by the screws and the fuel tanks didn’t look like they were rattling around so bit of an over reaction to say the least! Here’s the link if anyone is interested lol. 

So why could he not contact Accurascale instead firstly? 'No, get my unnecessary opinion out there first' - the percentage of good vs ones with defects is miniscule

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Pillar said:

I've been detailing a Bachmann Class 40 recently - a class which has quite a few cables between the body and bogies on the prototype. My solution for the mdoel was to fit a tiny neodymium magnet to the body and another to the top of the cable. If the body-mounted magnet is recessed into a hole, the cable-mounted one can slot into it and be pretty much invisible.

Here is a picture of the speedo cable done using this method.

1407116952_Bodyliftingpointprotrusion.jpg.227b75ba323602b96a184e1641a14c09.jpg

Nice modelling, probably easier to make from 2 Hattons Belihacks and a Lima body...     (see earlier point! Good old reverse engineering!)

• Funny 1

One of my issues was the same as Roy Langridge - loud buzz/rattle from a speaker at tickover and notch 1. He said that: "Accurascale support has informed me that the clips should be retained by screws which are not present on either of mine"

Accurascale have suggested I return mine (there are other identified faults too such as a loud clicking as it runs along), but with another due today and 2 more of my o/s orders due on Monday, I decided to remove the body and see if I could locate the problem.

So much for the clips that hold that speaker !  There's only one clip, which isn't secured by any screws at all. That speaker not being secured at all explains the buzzing/rattling sound, as I confirmed when I started it up with the body removed.

I suspect this will prove to be a common issue.

I'll be sending them photos with a request for the missing parts and will post on the speed of spares delivery.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Is that 50 withdrawn pending arrival of an Accurascale replacement? ;)

Given the amount of work I’ve done on it, it will be joined by the future Accurascale versions! D9010 may get weathered into a similar state, though is may also end up as a fictitious preserved example. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, tlm said:

Common is relative :) we’ve reports of 17 locos with the issue so rather more likely an individual batch and an employee on the assembly line that would be on the receiving end of some harsh words :)

We have extensive parts in stock and are also more than happy to take back and sort via the returns process if preferred. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

47 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's been said several times in this topic that overseas orders will start being sent from next week.

Thanks. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, nor the brightest bulb in the lamp. Sadly that means people around me have to endure me and now with the invention of the internet the whole world is forced to put up with my dimness.🙃

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• Moderators
Just now, wairoa said:

Sadly that means people around me have to endure me and now with the invention of the internet the whole world is forced to put up with my dimness.

I admire your level of self-awareness which has elevated you substantially above the vast majority of inept and impatient inhabitants of the internet who type first, never listen and never understand. You have earned my respect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I’m already doomed…

No way to hide that box.

Whats worse is my trip home was meant to be via Quorn tomorrow, but I just learned that Bachmann event is on sunday… i’m not sure going back empty handed tomorrow with some big boxes at home is better or worse than coming a day later with a boot full of loot as well.

i’m beaten.

As is oft said….it’s an ill  wind that blows nobody any good.You’ve actually brightened my weekend….the original plans for which fell apart yesterday. Thanks for the news about the Quorn event.It’ll give me the opportunity…my first for 3 years…to attend an event and relieve the monotony .  An easy drive through Charnwood. Yippee !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Anyone dibbed out on 55022/D9000, there's already one on eBay

Does the warranty only apply to the first owner - assuming that seller is not a retailer?

• Like 1

Received a Deltic on Monday as expected, only to find I had received a model of D9001 St Paddy that was someone else's when looking at the despatch note. All credit to A/S they informed with in half an hour as too how to return said item. Just waiting to hear from them where my 9021 Argyll and Sutherland Highlander is. No doubt some time early next week after the bulk of the order has been dispatched. Hope the person who was expecting 9001 is waiting too long........

Al Taylor

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Received a Deltic on Monday as expected, only to find I had received a model of D9001 St Paddy that was someone else's when looking at the despatch note. All credit to A/S they informed with in half an hour as too how to return said item. Just waiting to hear from them where my 9021 Argyll and Sutherland Highlander is. No doubt some time early next week after the bulk of the order has been dispatched. Hope the person who was expecting 9001 is waiting too long........

Al Taylor

Happy to report DHL have it since 11:08 this morning and it's on it's way to you :) 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tlm said:

So much for the clips that hold that speaker !  There's only one clip, which isn't secured by any screws at all. That speaker not being secured at all explains the buzzing/rattling sound, as I confirmed when I started it up with the body removed.

I'll be sending them photos with a request for the missing parts and will post on the speed of spares delivery.

I suspect just one individual on the production line who was not quite as diligent as he/she should have been, annoying to say the least and especially so for AS, after all their reputation relies on everyone in the process doing their job correctly, one bad apple as they say.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m already doomed…

No way to hide that box.

i’m beaten.

Tell her that you now Bank with Ant & Dec and these are the first blocks for the new mortgage!  Just tell her to be aware in the next few weeks that there may be a strange man at the door making bills into Origami!

Sorted..,...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 20:51, aureol40012 said:

That’s not what he does unfortunately. He has on a number of occasions reviewed a clearly faulty loco previously and then gone on to use the faulty features of the loco as part of his review of the model itself. For example he slated the Bachmann 9F as a model due to its rough running, which was a fault, not a design flaw!

I seem to recall Sam criticised the Bachmann 9F for its lack of pick ups from the tender and also the lack of axle bearings. The axles just sit in slots in the chassis block.

Yes Sam is over dramatic but I would suggest that yes these were design flaws and do affect the smooth running. 

I don’t recall any other YouTubers / magazine reviews going into the detail he does about the mechanisms and so I am glad to see this content.
You learn more from one of these videos about the mechanism you are buying than a review in for instance RM.

He admits he does not have extensive prototype knowledge* but I have found not many YouTubers do. 

* There are exceptions like BluebellModelRailway who is very knowledgeable on SR steam.

He clearly states his remit throughout his videos and aims at the more popular end of model railways.

For what it’s worth his review of the AS Deltic seem fair and reasonable and he was able to show the issues he was having with the couplings.

Edited by rprodgers
  • Agree 5

Great to see such positive feedback for the Deltic. I've caught up late on this thread so apologies if I've missed it, but is there likely to be a second run featuring other numbers? I'd like a model of D9000 in green with headlight circa 1999 condition for hauling Virgin XC trains. I note Locomotion's D9002 is pretty similar...is it suitable for renumbering or am I best holding off?

• RMweb Gold

DSCF0518.thumb.JPG.694d76a30fadedc235d0f8eedde20d0d.JPGLovely, aren't they!

A couple of basic 4 function decoders have been fitted and they run sweetly and smoothly, so I am very pleased with them overall.

My only constructive criticism for @Accurascale Fran and @McC is that I'm losing a number of small parts through normal handling. The guard irons on the front of the bogies have been removed as they part company with the loco if they come into contact with the chassis/coupling and 2 have succumbed to the carpet monster. The little ladders under the corners of the nose also came off in or after transit, but have been stuck back on firmly. Also what I believe to be the brake actuators on the sides of the bogies have also had several come off and get glued back. I've actually used superglue and they are stuck fast now, so it perhaps needs bringing up with the factory for your next production batches. I think the chains may be removed when I need to remove the body. 

Nevertheless, the loco is excellent value for the price, and the above items are very minor. It is still a massive step in the right direction, and I look forward to you as a company grow with the 92, 37s and 31s........and 40s, 50s....! 🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Great to see such positive feedback for the Deltic. I've caught up late on this thread so apologies if I've missed it, but is there likely to be a second run featuring other numbers? I'd like a model of D9000 in green with headlight circa 1999 condition for hauling Virgin XC trains. I note Locomotion's D9002 is pretty similar...is it suitable for renumbering or am I best holding off?

Hi @SouthernMafia,

We absolutely will be doing repeat runs of Deltics and other locos for years to come. I would hold off personally...

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 6