Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

5 hours ago, GordonC said:

That might not have been their intention when they bought it, but if buyers have seen others doubling their money on it who knows what kind of circumstances are going on in their lives to lead them to sell theirs.

Yes, I was half thinking about flogging mine for that exact reason. It's a nice model, but for what people have been paying it's basically 2 models. I aren't a Deltic head I just wanted one because it's a class I didn't have. Anyway I have kept it.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 21:56, kitefighter said:

I missed out buying one for my layout, which is very disappointing given I've been a Deltic fan since a boy. But I notice some collectors bought multiple copies only to then sell on eBay to mugs like me for inflated prices. I think people who bought multiple copies just to sell when the demand outstripped supply aren't railway modellers at all. Sorry, I'm just really annoyed that I can't afford this model, which I've been waiting for all my railway modelling days.

Without sounding too harsh,this model was announced nearly 4 years ago,it was available to pre-order for the majority of that time,if as you say you are a Deltic fan and wanted one for all of  your modelling days why didn't you order one ?.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Could someone please tell me which end of a Deltic is No 1? The only description I could find was about the real ones at DPS and mentioned urinal outlets and suchlike😀

On the roof there are two squarish vents which seems a good reference point.

I only intend to fit the pipes etc to No 1 end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, juke said:

Could someone please tell me which end of a Deltic is No 1? The only description I could find was about the real ones at DPS and mentioned urinal outlets and suchlike😀

On the roof there are two squarish vents which seems a good reference point.

I only intend to fit the pipes etc to No 1 end.

On the side of the nose, there is an extra door (exhauster) on the no. 1 end that isn't present on the other end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kitefighter said:

Thank you for your polite lesson about how to pre-order a model and advice about saving money to pay for it. I accept that it's my own fault that I missed out and that there many things in life you can have, and many things you cannot and this model will just be another one of those. My irritation is more with those who have bought this model as an investment to immediately sell for profit rather than enjoy owning the model as a railway modeller. 

I pre-ordered a sound fitted purple one. Lovely model etc and when I ordered I was all about the sound etc, however over the last year or so, I have found I can take or leave sound, so tend not to both with them now (baring US models, I just love the sound these make, especially EMD units).  I’ve had mine less than 4 weeks and I’ve sold it on. Im

my defence, I have arranged the purchase of a non-sound one to replace it, and it left me a few bob to order some Accurascale wagons. It was never my intention to sell, I ordered a sound one because at the time, it’s what I wanted, but interests change and now someone has one who will get far more enjoyment from it than I will, and I still have a Deltic at the end of it. 

• Like 5

I don't really think it is any business of anybody else why someone buys a product.   Some find enjoyment running trains, some in collecting boxes and others in buying something with the idea they might make some money selling it on.  All may provide joy to the purchaser and good luck to them.

In the time from the first press release until the closing of order books there was the opportunity to place an order.  Just because one person is able to and another is not is just a fact of life and I really don't care that for whatever reason somebody doesn't get to purchase the item. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

In this case most of the models were still available to order until relatively recently and had been up for pre-order for a long time. We had enough time that people could have put a pound a week into a jar and built up the necessary payment. So everyone had more than ample opportunity and Accurascale offer staged payments to help, I'm not sure what more (if anything) people want from Accurascale.

My advice if you missed (for whatever reason, there may well be people who have just entered the hobby) is to just wait. Of course nothing is guaranteed but previous experience of these re-sale frenzies is there is a speculative bubble which sends prices silly followed by a correction as prices return to something more sensible. Given that Accurascale will almost certainly do further runs I'd be surprised if values for the blue and green ones stay inflated.

On buying to sell, if these had been announced as a limited edition of very small numbers snapped up by speculators before people had an opportunity to buy I would have sympathy, though even then at the end of the day it's for the purchaser to decide why they buy something and what to do with it. It's easy to criticise speculators but if things had gone the other way and people were selling below the SRP then I'm guessing the critics would be more than happy to save a few quid by buying second hand. Circumstances change and just because someone sells a model doesn't mean it was bought with the intent of being a speculative investment (though I'm sure plenty were bought as such). If I pre-order I feel obligated to honour that order even if circumstances change and interests move on (as happens sometimes), in which case I'd buy and then sell.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

17 hours ago, Bucoops said:

On the side of the nose, there is an extra door (exhauster) on the no. 1 end that isn't present on the other end.

The pre-yellow warning panel locos don't appear to have that extra nose door - is there another way to ID which end is which?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

The pre-yellow warning panel locos don't appear to have that extra nose door - is there another way to ID which end is which?

Doesn't the boiler exhaust - offset on the central roof panel - denote one of the ends?

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Coryton said:

Presumably the urinal outlets would be at the number 1 end.

(Sorry).

I take it number 2 end has a 4 inch outlet then,is this where the term s**t shute is derived

I had never realised the plumbing is in the detail bag was so accurate,what next,Corgi approval required,i did have few cars as a kid so im good.I will stand well back behind the line in October when i get on the train in Newcastle,here me thinking it was grease on the buffers.

• Funny 2

21 hours ago, 33052 said:

Without sounding too harsh,this model was announced nearly 4 years ago,it was available to pre-order for the majority of that time,if as you say you are a Deltic fan and wanted one for all of  your modelling days why didn't you order one ?.

I've been out of the loop to be honest with you and was waiting for the model to be in production and reviewed by collectors. But clearly here, this was a poor strategy and I have only myself to blame, and now I'm lashing out in jealousy at other collectors who have one. Forgive me model collectors who read the tea leaves correctly and jumped when I hesitated. I will not find it so easy to forgive myself. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, kitefighter said:

I've been out of the loop to be honest with you and was waiting for the model to be in production and reviewed by collectors. But clearly here, this was a poor strategy and I have only myself to blame, and now I'm lashing out in jealousy at other collectors who have one. Forgive me model collectors who read the tea leaves correctly and jumped when I hesitated. I will not find it so easy to forgive myself. 

jeez , relax . they'll be more runs . 

next time one pops up , get your money out .

Its not the sort of thing you must have " right now "

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Evening all.

Can anyone advise on how easy a horn is to remove from the nose? I don’t want to start tugging (fnarr) if are don’t come off easily or in one piece!

Getting rid of an unwanted horn isn't always easy.......😉

• Funny 7

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Getting rid of an unwanted horn isn't always easy.......😉

It's always going to leave a mark.

• Funny 1

My D9006 finally arrived last Monday! What a beauty! 

I've just done some testing on my roller stand and all seems to be fine. She sounds great 😎

For the first time in my life I've fitted the detail parts on one end. I'm normally not that patient, but the detachable buffer beam is really helpful.

I'm looking forward to the next batch. A nice and shiny blue one would look good next to the D9006 😄

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ryan91 said:

My D9006 finally arrived last Monday! What a beauty! 

I've just done some testing on my roller stand and all seems to be fine. She sounds great 😎

For the first time in my life I've fitted the detail parts on one end. I'm normally not that patient, but the detachable buffer beam is really helpful.

I'm looking forward to the next batch. A nice and shiny blue one would look good next to the D9006 😄

I agree these locomotives are superb. I too am looking fwd to the second run. I think I will be going for a second blue one.

• Like 1