Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

cds on rotation in the car are:

BAD RELIGION 'The Dissent of Man' (2010)

MAXIMO PARK 'The National Health' (2012)

and double vinyl rotating in the garage is:

SOCIAL DISTORTION 'Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes' (2011)

• Like 1

Rush - Clockwork Angels. The album which stubbornly refuses to click. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't "get" this album.

Riversea - Out of the Ancient World. Which I've reviewed on my website

Delain - We Are The Others. Euro female-fronted metal, both heavy and quite commercial.

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage. Probably the heaviest record I've bought this year. Bits of it make Megadeth sound like Bon Jovi

Joe Bonamassa - Driving Towards the Daylight. More guitar-shredding electric blues, which is my kind of blues.

• 2 weeks later...

The Heather Findlay Band - Songs from the old Kitchen.

post-387-0-37537300-1344082857_thumb.jpg

An unusual disc, apparently genuinely recorded in a kitchen and bought at the gig on Thursday evening in the Fulford Arms, York. Just like the old days, brilliant music in a York pub with the Mostly Autumn clan forming much of the audience.

A spontaneous reworking of some familiar and less familiar Mostly Autumn tracks. All either written by Heather or with Brian Josh. The musicians are her recently formed band - Dave Kilminster, Chris Johnson Steve Vantsis and Alex Cromarty, with Angela Gordon also joining them. Well worth a listen - I assume some of you will have caught them at Cambridge festival yesterday.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Taster of the new Marillion album 'Sounds that can't be made'...

Reserving judgement on this one personally. A decent song, but it's not blowing me away. It could just be a slow burner of course, and we can't all like every bit of every album, just seems to be missing that spark. Nothing wrong with it especially, but for me it ain't no Neverland or This Strange Engine... There seem to be quite a few prog fans on here, so it'd be interesting to hear others' views.

Now feeling much more positive about the album having heard a few snippets on the trailer!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

been listening to 'The Gaslight Anthem' latest album 'Handwritten'.

Not quite as good as previous album 'American Slang' but i'm sure i'll enjoy it more after a few more listens.

This is in the car.

On my nano, I have mostly been listening to

Faithless: Sunday 8PM,

The Color and the Shape by the Foo Fighters,

and

Jaco Pastorius by Jaco Pastorius.

On Spotify, I are slowly working my way through the Krautrocksampler collection

• RMweb Gold

One of the best bands on the planet.

51VxX4VQbRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

steve

Teignmouth boys who came home a couple of years ago for a great gig on the seafront for the locals. As ever a great and loud show!

Nice that a 'huge' band would come back home for the locals.

• RMweb Gold

My first foray into here for some considerable time as I found I hadn't heard of half of the bands and didn't really have the time to listen to them. Of recent I have been listening to music more and more as their is sod all on the telly to watch for me. One of the albums I bought back in the day was Life in the Air Age by Be Bop Deluxe which I gave away many years ago with all my other vinyl (I know I know)! Anyway I remembered it and that I used to like it so downloaded it off Amazon and it has been in my car and on here ever since. I really like it and to me there is some brilliant guitar work by Bill Nelson that can still make the hairs on my arm stand up.

So the last couple of nights I have been looking on You Tube and found a 'slightly' older Bill Nelson and not very Glam Rock. His version of Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape is fantastic and maybe just maybe I prefer it now to the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYHZVDUr9x4&feature=related

Learnt the play the guitar as a very early age (badly) never touch one now but still love the sound of a well played lead guitar and to me this guy is up there with Clapton, May and the like. Only my opinion and I stress that because I admit I know very little.

Regards Chris

PS Isn't it good to see some of us old folk enjoying ourselves singing along and no doubt remembering the good old days? :sungum:

• Like 1