RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Runrig streaming from youtube great whilst doing the chores

They are one of the bands I'd love to see live and unfortunately I can't get time off in December to see them back home at the city hall in Newcastle.but we are getting Simple minds down here at Venue Cymru next year I will catch them

• RMweb Gold

Harvey Mason's Groovin' You. Contains the track I probably most enjoyed in the whole of the '90s - his take on AC Jobim's Wave. Recorded in 1979, but I first heard that track on Jazz FM 1.1.91. On a Japanese CD, so not a lot of info about the players per track, although there is a lengthy cast-list with some star performers and sidemen. Interestingly, two of the other players, Lee Ritenour and Bob James, became regular partners with Harvey Mason in Fourplay more than a decade later.

• Like 2

Dark Side of the Wall in Leicester next Sat, excellent tribute act. Followed by Karnataka in Derby on Sunday (booked following their excellent performance here a few weeks ago, so going in with High Hopes (I'll get my coat), and Panic Room the following weekend. Not bothering with real trains these days has its advantages! :D

enjoyed Amy MacDonald live in Nottingham last week, but actually preferred the support act Kristina Train. Her live version of

and Stick Together were sublime, and a tremendous five piece band too

and she's from Savannah Georgia, so if she just reads a shopping list out-loud I'd turn up to listen...

on 'vinyl' this week, Prefab Sprout, Barry Adamson, XTC and Dead Can Dance.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2

Silly amount of live music lately:

Stabbing a Dead Horse (Trojan Horse, The Fierce and the Dead, and Knifeworld) - Rather bonkers avant-garde alternative/prog involving bassoons.

Larry Miller - Guitar-shredding electric blues in the vein of Rory Gallagher

Crimson Sky - Mix of prog-rock and 80s new-wave.

Nightwish - Who probably don't need any introduction. Managed to get a pass for the photo pit for that one.

Next one up is Panic Room at The Borderline,

Nightwish - Who probably don't need any introduction. Managed to get a pass for the photo pit for that one.

How are they sounding with Floor Jansen on vocals?

I've not managed to find a clip on youtube with decent sound quality.

Stabbing a Dead Horse (Trojan Horse, The Fierce and the Dead, and Knifeworld) - Rather bonkers avant-garde alternative/prog involving bassoons.

I was very worried what I might find putting that into Youtube! Seems good though.

• RMweb Gold

Churchdown to Basingstoke today back tomorrow

Thats 2 Moody Blues CDs each way

Evrty good boy deserves favour and In seach of the lost chord on the way here

To our children's children's children and Seventh Sojourn on the way home tomorrow

Phil

• RMweb Gold

been listening to the Who as i picked up the ultimate collection for 50p, not quite sure what to make of it really, just ended up fast forwarding to baba o'reilly and wont get fooled again in the end

also got the legend of johnny cash, superb, great covers of U2s one and of course hurt as well as the classics

listened to shed seven earlier too, seen them live many years ago, had forgotten just how good they are

picked up a load of REM cd singles too, mainly for the "b sides", lots of live tracks and demo tunes

• RMweb Premium

I went to see Ladyhawke perform live in Brighton last week, and she was amazing.

Many may not have heard of her, she's a bit niche, a New Zealand synthpop/electro/nu wave act, great voice, fantastic rock backing and songs dripping in synth, well worth getting both of her albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkilTeVYjds

And as it's getting to that time of year...I'd like to jump in early and nominate Lana Del Ray's 'Blue Jeans' as best song of 2012...just wow

Enjoy