Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I'm pleased that it went well for you Al. I used to be a member of the MKRS 0 gauge exhibition layout crew and always looked forward to going to shows. I hope to exhibit Tewkesbury when it's built so I need to get my finger out and make some progress.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great to meet you and have a few (brief!) chats at the show. I would difficult to find two more extreme layouts to display side by side than Grantham and Ladmanlow!

Well done for putting on a successful display and good luck with your future exhibition career.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Great to meet you and have a few (brief!) chats at the show. I would difficult to find two more extreme layouts to display side by side than Grantham and Ladmanlow!

Well done for putting on a successful display and good luck with your future exhibition career.

Thank you very much, it was great to see both you and Grantham in the flesh, and it is indeed a bit of a contrast... :)

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Here's a video of the layout at the show, including content from visitors:

Thanks for looking,

Al.

strictly-come-dancing-show-sweet-montage-of-len-goodman-ts_-00_01_14_04-still031.jpg.0b4673b557cc4f239dc4a1307a7fefcc.jpg

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

A nice keep-sake from the show, Al. Are you going to have a play with the chuff timing CV at some point? One of the locos seems quite out of sync.

Is it 68062 Jonathan? I'll let you into a secret...

It's got a 3F sound chip in it, because the J94 one died...

I have a replacement to fit.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Is it 68062 Jonathan? I'll let you into a secret...

It's got a 3F sound chip in it, because the J94 one died...

I have a replacement to fit.

Al.

It's the first one, 68012. It seems to have 4 chuffs for about 3/4 of a wheel rev.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

88…89…90! DONE IT!!! Never mind an evening’s entertainment, that’s taken me a whole week to read through this entire thread. What a great story - and some fantastic tips that I intend to copy emulate. I hope to get to see the layout again in the flesh some time. Meanwhile, I think now deserve some celebratory cakage. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andrew D said:

88…89…90! DONE IT!!! Never mind an evening’s entertainment, that’s taken me a whole week to read through this entire thread. What a great story - and some fantastic tips that I intend to copy emulate. I hope to get to see the layout again in the flesh some time. Meanwhile, I think now deserve some celebratory cakage. 

I think you deserve a prize... or possibly therapy...

Thank you. I hope that there is some useful content scattered in there somewhere. Please feel free to ask if you can't find anything.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

At Doncaster, one of the commonest questions asked by those in the know, was what was the provenance of the J94 loco fleet. Most were amazed to learn that the majority of the locos are the Dapol model which must be approaching 30 years of age now. Quite a few people asked if I had one of the EFE models, which I don't, but that put the stirrings of a thought in my head, and at the weekend I noticed the EFE model available from a certain Cornish emporium at very little cost, so I bought one...

ladmanlow1873.jpg.18cbe0e27ab1906fde118d04dce87fdf.jpg

ladmanlow1876.jpg.0463887cbb75f32aa27caec8fb49fbbe.jpg

ladmanlow1874.jpg.21eb5051ea4ee0424dbf4c5585fbd66e.jpg

ladmanlow1875.jpg.ad0c4a61b5de21244527c001468dce22.jpg

It will require surgery to remove the bunker, and all the usual lamps, crew and mucky weathering, and I will be fitting sound jiggery-pokery when that arrives. It uses the Next18 DCC socket, which I haven't come across before, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

At Doncaster, one of the commonest questions asked by those in the know, was what was the provenance of the J94 loco fleet. Most were amazed to learn that the majority of the locos are the Dapol model which must be approaching 30 years of age now. Quite a few people asked if I had one of the EFE models, which I don't, but that put the stirrings of a thought in my head, and at the weekend I noticed the EFE model available from a certain Cornish emporium at very little cost, so I bought one...

ladmanlow1873.jpg.18cbe0e27ab1906fde118d04dce87fdf.jpg

ladmanlow1876.jpg.0463887cbb75f32aa27caec8fb49fbbe.jpg

ladmanlow1874.jpg.21eb5051ea4ee0424dbf4c5585fbd66e.jpg

ladmanlow1875.jpg.ad0c4a61b5de21244527c001468dce22.jpg

It will require surgery to remove the bunker, and all the usual lamps, crew and mucky weathering, and I will be fitting sound jiggery-pokery when that arrives. It uses the Next18 DCC socket, which I haven't come across before, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Next 18 are a doddle. Does it have a built-in speaker?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Next 18 are a doddle. Does it have a built-in speaker?

Good question, no idea, I haven't had time to fiddle yet.

Just took it out of the box to photograph, and then put it away again.

I'm supposed to be working... :D

Al.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Good question, no idea, I haven't had time to fiddle yet.

Just took it out of the box to photograph, and then put it away again.

I'm supposed to be working... :D

Al.

Checking details online, it doesn't have a built-in speaker. There's apparently room for a small one (sugar cube-type?) in the smokebox with speaker solder tabs on the circuit board.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Nice model Al. Did none of the C&HP J94s have the extended bunker? It’d make a nice variation to your fleet if so.

Cheers mate, thanks.

All of the C&HPR's J94's were originally fitted with the tall bunker before transferring - they were mostly LNER locomotives. But because the C&HPR only had manual coaling methods (literally chuck a bucket of coal in the bunker by hand), rather than the mechanical coalers used in most loco yards, the tall bunkers were removed before the locos were put into service.

However, you can tell they had the tall bunkers because the rear cab sight glasses are the thin rectangles, rather than the round portholes that other J94s had.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 5

28 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Cheers mate, thanks.

All of the C&HPR's J94's were originally fitted with the tall bunker before transferring - they were mostly LNER locomotives. But because the C&HPR only had manual coaling methods (literally chuck a bucket of coal in the bunker by hand), rather than the mechanical coalers used in most loco yards, the tall bunkers were removed before the locos were put into service.

However, you can tell they had the tall bunkers because the rear cab sight glasses are the thin rectangles, rather than the round portholes that other J94s had.

Al.

Yeah, it’s those rear cab windows that’s throwing me off. In my mind I could see a photo from one of my books of one at Friden coupled to an Ivatt 2F going to/returning from Buxton and I’d swear it had a tall bunker.

I double-checked and (in my defence), the angle of the shot, colour of the loco, narrow rear cab windows and brightness of the photo all combine to make it look like it could have a tall bunker, but nope, it’s a low bunker. Shame.

• Like 2

If it helps, here's a rare photo of 68013 at Middleton in 1956 with a full height bunker.

MNT213.jpg.856002d2ab7cd8be5c3bd472b2e5bb4a.jpg

Photo courtesy The Transport Treasury

The catch is the date. This was the year that the J94s first appeared on the High Peak and the photo was probably taken in that early period when they hadn't yet got their heads around the coaling problem that Al referred to. Later pictures of the same loco show that it received the "chop" fairly early in its career on the line.

Still, if you're prepared to restrict your modelling period a bit, or even keep it flexible, the world's your oyster! The other loco at Middleton at that time was the last North London Tank 58850 and they were even known to double head the morning goods as far as Hopton!

G

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2