Taunton Members Day - Sunday 17th April 2011

Captain Kernow

CK/Tim, a lot of the feedback is already saying '............ so I'm looking forward to next year already.

Looks like your in for the long haul.

From all the above reports looks like I know I missed a great weekend.

Penlan / Sandy.

I can get to some of the places all of the time,

and all of the places some of the time,

but I can't get to all of the places all of the time.....sad.gif

As one who has little hope of attending such events (and even less chance of doing anything more constructive than gawping, anyway!), may I thank those who have taken the trouble to organise what seems to have been another stunning RMWeb event, and then those whose happy snaps show the event unfolding

It was stunning - and even more so whan you realise that the whole of RMWeb is all based on voluntary contributions both in terms of cash and time.

• RMweb Gold

It was stunning - and even more so whan you realise that the whole of RMWeb is all based on voluntary contributions both in terms of cash and time.

Indeed, John. Having had the good fortune to raise a pint with Andy Y earlier in the year, I am in no doubt that his energy and vision are the soul of RMWeb - but the success of yesterday just goes to show how many others are content to help carry the baton.

I had a brilliant time, rushed off our feet when it came to the pasties lol, it was well worth the mega trip from here in West Yorks to once again see Michelle and Maddie (she will kill me for not putting her full first name) and to see a new face - Ruth.

Thankyou Captain for a fab day, thanks to the other girls in the catering team for a good laugh and thankyou to Andy Y for making us girls blush during your announcement, "we'll get you back my pretty mwahhahahahahahaha" :P ;) :O

Hi guys, a fabulous and hitch free day with great bonhomie! Even the A303 was fully working and only took 10 mins longer getting back than coming down from Guildford - mostly down to a refreshing lack of caravans and up-side-down Lithuanian lorries I guess....

The obligatory mug shots....

post-6681-0-32254900-1303120145_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-40671300-1303120179_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-93302000-1303120203_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-23388400-1303120219_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-82508100-1303120232_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-04996800-1303120248_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-11696100-1303120285_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-26951000-1303120301_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-52461600-1303120317_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-04525800-1303120334_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-38509100-1303120360_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-26146200-1303120379_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-04553400-1303120403_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-23154300-1303120420_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-95760800-1303120160_thumb.jpg

Hi All

This was my first time at this members day exibition and it was a great day meeting people you read about on the forum and them seeing them.

I thank Tim for what he has done to bring us all together.

It is a great show Thank you very much.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic day, thanks to all concerned - good to hook up with old friends and make a few new acquaintances (Darren, Chris N, Kris, etc).

Thought Catcott was, if anything, even better than in the photos .... which is saying something!

Top pasties too. :P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to CK, Andy & the catering ladies for organising the show again,

Thanks to CK for putting me opposide Catcott - I got to see the back of loads of visitors !

Thanks also to everyone who stopped by and passed many favourable comments on Laterite & Co Ltd. It's quite humbling to realise so many people have been watching the thread.

Thanks as well to Puglsey for the weathering demo.

post-7025-0-57264000-1303124551_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-28152600-1303124584_thumb.jpg

Several of us had a good chat about the Module project for next year - further updates will be announced in the Module thread shortly.

But overall, another really great day !

Again, thanks to Tim for organising another brilliant day for us, and to the ladies for keeping us fed and watered. Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a chat, and it was great to see a lot of fellow RMwebbers again, too many to mention but you know who you are.

Thanks for the pics Stu - it's nice to see some pictures of them with some scenery.

Roll on next year, when I might even have a layout to bring along! :D

post-6681-0-04996800-1303120248_thumb.jpg

Hi,

As can be seen by Mr Nevards mug shot (I'm nearest the camera standing up) I too was there yesterday along with St. Simon Senior (my father, who isn't a RMweb member). A small mistake in timings meant that the run down from High Wycombe to Sunny Zummerzet and SWAGonia took a little longer than we had planned, meaning that we arrived a bit later than planned. But, more by luck than judgement, we arrived at the same time the pasties were being brought out (which were fantastic :good_mini:). Dad was most impressed with all the layouts on displays, particulary Highbridge Colliery and Avonwick, I was too impressed with the layouts, I very much liked Marks Smiths Steelworks layout and a had a nice chat about water and layout heights. On the subject of chatting to people to was nice to put names to faces, hello again to ChrisF, Mike (The Stationmaster), Darren (darren01) and Pixie! :)

We left at aroun 14:30 and had a quick diversion down to the WSR at Bishops Lydeard to see what was there, a 95xx 2-6-0 mogul, then a nice run back to the leafy chilterns. But unfortunatly, that evening I came down with severe stomach pains, which I have now got tablets for :bo_mini: :bo_mini:

A brillant day all round, thanks to Tim (Captain Kernow), Andy Y and, of course, the catering team, as well as all the members for making the day such a good one, bring on next year!

post-6681-0-04553400-1303120403_thumb.jpg

post-6681-0-23154300-1303120420_thumb.jpg

Chris, you have accidently stumbled apon Tim and Andy practicing the new RMweb members day dance! :P :P

Simon

Having at last spotted the best photograph of me at this event, I can now post.

This was my third attendance at this event and I cannot think of a better event to go to in relation to our hobby. Always relaxing, informative and great to be associated with. This is just one event of the two that are normally held each year and Taunton, being closer, is better for me.

Above all my thanks go to Tim and his trusty friends who ably support this event.

My first sentence was my only bleat from previous attendances in that I was conspicuously absent from all photos in the past and even this time I was behind something or someone in the early prints.

So congratulations go to Chris Nevard and I sincerely trust that the cracking and bloom on the lens are easily repaired!!:blink:

Sadly I couldn't make the Green Park (thank you to the Taunton MRG for facilitating this!) get together and the meal on the Saturday but Sunday morning saw an early start to head down to Taunton with the last 50 miles in fog. I wasn't first to arrive as Simon and Ruth were already there shortly followed by the arrival of the Captain. The Captain's strengths lie in forward planning and strategic manoeuvres and the set up workforce of Brinkly and Taz sprung into action with marking up and setting out and all completed before the first layout arrivals. As has been mentioned the foundation of such events is the goodwill and time of so many in supporting such events which are very much for the love of the hobby and thanks go to all of the exhibitors, demonstrators and those who supported the event travelling from anywhere within a 200 mile radius to the event. The turnout this year was extremely good and I hope everyone was impressed with the quality and selection of items within the event. The feedback I heard during the day was very positive and my own feeling is that this has been the best event so far. For anyone who hasn't been it is difficult to describe the atmosphere as it's certainly more dynamic, engaging and convivial than any conventional show or society event.

A special thank you to those who probably wouldn't choose to put up with a model railway event all day aside from the fact they were coerced by their other halves into feeding and watering the throng which Maddy, Michelle, Nadine and Ruth did superbly well. I would also like to thank Metropolitan for his generosity of the RMweBattle_of_Britain that was auctioned off in style by Brinkly with the winning offer from Tim Hale in support of the event.

What shone through for me was the show of strength from the 2mm exhibits and the members of the 2mm Scale Association in demonstrating the appeal and strengths of the scale but in particular I wished to mention the involvement of the likes of Pixie, Bryn, Craigwelsh and Kempenfelt for showing that the future of the hobby in terms of research, innovation and quality is in very safe hands and not solely through the channel of the contemporary scene.

I hope the Captain is pleased with the event, he certainly deserves to be and my wholehearted thanks go to him for all the hours spent organising the do!

BTW, thank you to Chris for those vivid pictures of me and the Captain testiculating. tongue.gif

Gerry_1.jpg

Jerry_3.jpg

Julian_1.jpg

Julian_2.jpg

Kris.jpg

Kris_2.jpg

Marc_1.jpg

Highbury_2.jpg

Marc_2.jpg

Marc_3.jpg

Roger_1.jpg

Roger_2.jpg

Stu_1.jpg

Taunton1.jpg

Taunton2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'd just like to echo the words said by everyone really, a wonderful day with excellent food, drink, layouts and friends what more could one want! Congratulations to Tim for organising such a great event and to Andy for bank rolling it!

One thing I have thought of is might need to change my display name and add 'son' to the end!

Kind regards,

Nick Brinklyson! :lol:

Loved the day out Andy Y, even tho we were rushed once the pasties came out ha ha!

The atmosphere is electric yet relaxed, we had a great laugh in the kitchens (most notably the constant mix up of tea and coffee hahaha).

Was great to meet up with the girls and meet a new addition - Ruth!

There isn't much more I can say on the subject, apart from the year seems to go by so quick and before i know it Taunton is near and it is like where has the year gone??

Thankyou again to Andy Y & Captain Kernow and of course the other girls in the kitchen, oh yes and the guys for helping us to catch up on the mountain of washing up and drying up :blink:

BRING ON 2012 :lol: I can't wait :D

Only just with it enough now to consider posting a thanks.. so here goes!

Thanks to Andy Y and all the others involved in organising what was a wonderfully friendly show. Was great to see the variety of layouts (two of which I'd only been looking at photos of the night before, so was very nice to see them up close!) on display.

Also - as Andy mentioned earlier - 2mm, I admittedly tended to overlook 2mm in the past as being too small for me to work with... having seen the marvellous efforts, I'm certainly more impressed and inspired by them.

In fact, the jointly planned layout idea Natalie and myself are working on presently got some much needed inspiration and realisations at Taunton! I've decided the first module of the layout - due to costs and size and complexity being much smaller compared to module 2 or 3! - will be a narrow guage (OO-9) layout inspired by photos and video footage of RAF Chilmark's railway system. I'll post more on the ideas/thoughts I've come away with elsewhere.

So, overall despite having a 320 mile round trip (give or take for unannounced closures of M5 slip roads (GRRRRRRR!)), a thoroughly enjoyable day.

It leaves me with one question, how many of us midland based members could do something similar I wonder? hats off to SWAG for doing such a stellar job!

Kelly

It leaves me with one question, how many of us midland based members could do something similar I wonder? hats off to SWAG for doing such a stellar job!

It's not really about area - it's the people coming forward who have the enthusiasm who make time for events like yesterday to occur.

Archived