Taunton Members Day - Sunday 17th April 2011

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Following the odd leak or two, I’m delighted to announce the line-up for the 2011 Taunton Members Day on Sunday 17th April 2011.

7mm layout

Julian Andrews will be bringing ‘MicrO’ - his new 7mm scale minimum-space shunting layout, thus proving that you can have fun in the ‘Senior Scale’ with not a lot of space – the layout is described as 30†x 10â€, of which the scenic section is 14†x 10â€. The layout depicts a small goods yard in a non-specific urban location. Operation involves the shunting of 4 or 5 wagons to pre-determined positions, using a very simple card-order system, much like a Chinese puzzle.

4mm scale layouts

‘Barrow Road’ by Robin Whittle (Barrowroadman) – a superb ‘work in progress’ recreation of this major Bristol steam shed in P4, featuring amazing laser-cut buildings, as per Robin’s blog.

‘Catcott Burtle’ by Chris Nevard. Chris and his wonderful evocation of the S&DJR Highbridge branch on the Somerset Levels in OO finescale need no introduction to regular RMWebbers.

‘Newbridge Sidings’ by Gordon Ashton (Steamraiser) – Gordon’s interesting P4 goods yard layout, possibly almost as long in gestation as my own Callow Lane (!). It is now somewhat more advanced than my layout and it promises to be a treat.

‘South Wales Steelworks’ by Marc Smith – Marc has been a regular at the Taunton events for the last couple of years, with his atmospheric South Wales-based layouts, and his latest OO finescale creation is much-awaited by his fans!

‘Elm Park’ by Bentley Model Railway Club – again, the lads from Bentley MRC have been regular supporters of this event, and have recently acquired this well-known and much-liked EM gauge layout featuring the 3rd rail suburban electric scene in South London

'Laterite & Co Ltd' by Stu Hilton (Stubby47) is a three-boxfile experiment, using Scalescenes 'aged' brick paper and some bits of track. As with Porth Byhan, Stu says that he wanted to make the layout in such a way that the boxfiles could be closed, so all the upper stories of the buildings are removable. He's also added a working wagon turn table, "just to add a bit of interest."

2mm scale layouts

‘Highbury Colliery’ by Jerry Clifford – if you haven’t seen Jerry’s 2mm finescale colliery layout, based firmly in Somerset & Dorset country, then you’re in for a treat. And if you have already seen it, then you’re still in for a treat (only you will already know how good it is!).

‘Avonwick’ by Kris – if you’ve been following Kris’ layout blog on the forum, you will know that this delightful 2mm finescale layout is a full-size replica of the quaint and picturesque station on the Kingsbridge branch, a location that I personally know very well

New layout in 2mm finescale by Simon Howard (Mr S Corn78) – Simon has also been a regular supporter of the Taunton event, and is bringing his new 2mm layout as a ‘work in progress’

‘Little End Yard’ – a minimum space layout in N by Roger Rouse (Rouse2037), to show what you can do in 2mm scale with very little room!

Displays and demonstrations

‘Ouse Valley Viaduct’ by Rod Cameron and John Farmer (10800 & Re6/6) – this is otherwise known as Balcombe Viaduct, a massive project in P4 that is just beginning to be built. The viaduct section alone will be 35 feet in model form when completed, but we won’t be requiring quite as much space as that this year!

Southern buildings demonstration by Tim Hale, who is busy constructing various 4mm scale structures for his new layout Beaminster Junction. Some are modifications of proprietary, but I understand that most are scratchbuilt and very much look the part for the ‘other’ S&DJR (Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway).

Weathering demo by Martin McDermott (Pugsley) – Martin is well known to all regular RMWebbers and is in my view, one of the leading exponents of the Art of weathering in the country.

Airbrush weathering and Grassmaster demo by Andy York – our Dear Leader will be in attendance to offer advice and guidance on using an airbrush and also the famous Noch ‘Grassmaster’.

2mm finescale modelling demo by Pixie and Bryn. Various 2mm finescale goodies will be on display, including the new 'Herring' wagon that Bryn has been designing, which will form a key feature of Steve's new layout 'Parkend' when it's finished. The guys plan to do some building work on one of these wagons whilst they're there. They will be happy to discuss all aspects of 2mm finescale modelling, including a 'beginners guide to etching design'.

Display of kit-built locos by John Armstrong (Metropolitan) – tempting though it was to ask John to ‘build a kit before coffee time’ ;) :D (!!), we have settled for another display of some of his wide collection of Metropolitan Railway kit and scratch-built locos.

John will also be auctioning off his kit-built Airfix Battle of Britain loco in special RMWeb livery!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/25722-airfix-b-of-b-biggin-hill/

Retail therapy

Dave Harding will again be present from The Model Shop, Exeter, with his usual varied range of R-T-R & R-T-P items, kits etc. to lighten your wallets...

Catering

The Delightful Ladies of the catering team will again be working hard in the kitchens to keep us all fed and watered. You will already have seen that the pasties have again been thoroughly road tested!

Apart from the pasties, the usual tasty selection of cakes and savoury food will be available. Needless to say, the kettle will be continually on the boil as well!

And finally…..

A special treat this year – for anyone who is coming to Taunton on the Saturday evening, the Taunton Model Railway Group have very kindly extended an invitation to all RMWebbers to visit their clubroom at Bishops Lydeard station on the WSR between 1700 hrs and 1900 hrs on the Saturday evening (16/4/11), and to look and perhaps even ‘have a play’ on their brilliant masterpiece ‘Bath Green Park’.

After the visit to ‘Bath Green Park’, those who wish to can retire to The Cross Keys at Norton Fitzwarren for a meal and a beer or two…

Edited on Sunday 20/3/11 - to replace 'Polbraze' with 'Laterite & Co Ltd' in the line-up

Edited on Thursday 24/3/11 - to replace 'Parkend Marsh End' with 2mm finescale modelling demo

• RMweb Gold

New layout in 2mm finescale by Simon Howard (Mr S Corn78) – Simon has also been a regular supporter of the Taunton event, and is bringing his new 2mm layout as a ‘work in progress’

HI all,

the layout will very much be a work in progress, hopefully i will have most of the track down and may have something running. Only time will tell :huh:

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Tim

A cracking looking line up again. This is always such a great event. I hope to be down on the Saturday for the visit to Bishops Lydeard too.

I will as ever have a few malachite green or black locos with me if anyone would like a look.

I am looking forward to it already.

And finally…..

A special treat this year – for anyone who is coming to Taunton on the Saturday evening, the Taunton Model Railway Group have very kindly extended an invitation to all RMWebbers to visit their clubroom at Bishops Lydeard station on the WSR between 1700 hrs and 1900 hrs on the Saturday evening (16/4/11), and to look and perhaps even ‘have a play’ on their brilliant masterpiece ‘Bath Green Park’.

After the visit to ‘Bath Green Park’, those who wish to can retire to The Cross Keys at Norton Fitzwarren for a meal and a beer or two…

Are the locals allowed to come as well.

• RMweb Gold
‘Polbraze’ by Stu Hilton (Stubby47) – this is another Cornish delight in OO from Stu in the Far West - a new layout from the 2010 Challenge, which features a ‘harbour in a crate’

You will all be pleased to note I have today purchased some legs for this layout, so it won't be sat on the floor - so just the tracklaying, wiring, fiddle yard, cassettes, and scenics to complete. Oh, and some stock. And a controller power box.

Did someone mention a 2010 challenge???

Photos of progress will appear in the appropriate thread.

• RMweb Gold

Following the odd leak or two,

Got a bit worried about that at first reading Cap'n as i was discussing exactly such a situation with the Doctor the other morning and what she did next doesn't bear repeating in polite company.

And finally…..

I had a private viewing at Lydeard last year before we made our way to The Cross Keys so a group one will be welcome this year as it will hopefully all be in place (is there room for that?) - anyway a great layout and thoroughly recommended as an 'extra' for those who haven't seen it.

• RMweb Gold

What a line up - where's the "hyperventilating" smiley? smile.gif To get to see Catcott Burtle & meet Mr Nevard at this kind of event is a fantastic prospect - and so much more as well. Well done Tim for setting this up, the countdown is definitely under way now...

• RMweb Gold

Thought that as the Captain has already eaten more than one of the sample pasties that would be enough for the year :)

Not unless the EU has imposed a pasty-eating quota, and if so, it'll be the Long Nines for them! :lol:

I think you will find the EU quotas only refer to the 'Cornish' Pasty,

I'm of the understanding from previous SWAG do's, those procured

by the good Captain are in fact derived from a Devon outlet,

and thus fortunately will not deprive those west of the Tamar*, of our

full quota. CK can have as many as he likes from Devon to try....tongue.gif

* It's said to be proper Cornish one has to be born west of the Hayle River!

....and there is a super Pasty shop in Hayle itself, but betwixt the River

and the Station - Hampsons Of Hayle http://www.cornishpa...ayle-pasty.htm

does that mean it's not a proper Cornish Pasty ? - There's some big lads

round Hayle willing to briefly discuss/clarify what's a 'Cornish Pasty' though angry.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As can now be seen in the OP, Polbraze has had to be withdrawn to a complete lack of meaningful progress (but it will be ready for it's outing in May at Hayle !)

Instead, Laterite & Co Ltd will be making it's debut (and Yes, the ironing borad is back !)

Stu

I will be in the UK in April so if I can get time off for good behaviour I will be coming to the Taunton gathering again this year. I won't be bringing anything to show since the layout challenges so far haven't been reduced in size to a carry-on airline bag (22 x 14 x 9 inches)! I note that some folk from SWAG are planning a modular display for next year. Having been the module and show co-ordinator for a number of years for my now dissolved model railroad club I can discuss my experiences with anyone who is interested.

Archived