Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Couldnt resist..

1382C563-5A1F-4350-BAEC-0E1E0A74975B.jpeg.b9774118e5b20807ca4e7e90851180c8.jpeg

funny thing is it looks like the colours dont match..

78038BC5-F1C7-449A-BA7E-F189D6CA2B65.jpeg.810b19fe1b3137692a1b6dbbf5e193f9.jpeg

(loving the painted wheels).

yet to the eye, without flash they do, to the eye at the right angles they clearly are.

88DE3372-9690-4202-BA00-FECB8324D124.jpeg.9da8116429f2c7b36160927ebcbd43a2.jpeg

its all about angles, the real-thing is like that too.

1B575C46-E2D5-4F28-B3AE-C5ABD4DC018A.jpeg.1c7ea9376d6b31b80f6e252356d6b261.jpeg

a classic colour perception example due to the surrounding silver swoosh 

6733A945-DFE1-4FB0-80D0-7559EFC925A5.jpeg.166420dcea9f9304e2b7fb319c4481ad.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Received mine today, just the Caley sleepers, no TPE set. Quick email to Accurascale and they've confirmed my TPE set are still on order and will follow in due course, just a mistake in their dispatch system marking them as dispatched.

Wonderful models, they really do look fantastic. My only criticism is the boxes. The 6 car Aberdeen pack is massive, and having three different box sizes (6 car Aberdeen, 4 car other sleeper sets, 5 car TPE set) will make them difficult to store. I think if i was designing the boxes I'd make trays of 2 coaches, then have a box 2 trays high for most of the sleeper sets, and 3 trays high for the Aberdeen set and TPE sets. Would make the boxes more uniform and easier to store I think. The boxes do look lovely though, probably the best looking boxes of coaches I have. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, scumcat said:

Mine arrived yesterday just one part of one bogie snapped in the box, emailed support they have contacted me and I await a reply tomorrow. These coaches are the pride of my layout, however I am having problems with the magnetic coupling unhooking. I have watched carefully and I think I know the issue. I am running both lowland packs so eight coaches. As they come off a curve it’s plain to see the weight of the train has pulled one side of the magnets apart from the one trailing and as the kinematic try’s to straighten the whole coupling snaps apart. It’s always the second or third coach in the rake, so I do think it’s the weight of the train. It doesn’t do it every loop. I can’t leave them unattended. I will persevere but I am not sure the magnets are strong enough for my layout.

Unfortunately, I had exactly the same problem with my Highlander eight coach set. My layout is 8ft x 8ft and the length of the train caused the magnetic couplings to fail around cars 1/2/3. By reluctantly replacing them with Kadees, the problem is solved. Cars 4-8 are still magnetic couplings.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, scumcat said:

i like the convenience of magnetic couplings plus i will probably want to run the loco at both ends so if this doesn't settle i may want to see if a hunts coupling solution works. they never fail me probably because its one bigger magnet. its slightly annoying as I've ordered a pack of the accurascale ones as spares.    

Try mixing in the fixed bars on semi

permanent coupled sections. 

• RMweb Premium

A quick question to Fran and Co.

I haven't noticed it, but is there the ability to fix a coupling on the cab end of the TPE DT?

For ECS drags such as pics that have been previously posted?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Jeez; they're ugly things! Looks like someone's knocked Darth Vader's teeth out.

One reason to drag them from the cab end - less to look at.............

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Jeez; they're ugly things! Looks like someone's knocked Darth Vader's teeth out.

To my eye it looks like the face of the Predator :) 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morecambe gets its new sleeper service as the Lowlander diverts at Hest Bank! 

The total layout including fiddle yard is only 8 foot so the Edinburgh portion just fit on to have a look at them. I went for these as I can get the most use out of them on south bound workings with the 4 cars for Rannoch and with a highland mainline layout planned the 8 car set can run on that. Really need those 73/9’s though. They are nicely finished and well detailed and come in nice presentation boxes too.

I must also pass on my thanks to Patrick at Accurascale for all his help sorting out my orders and payments earlier this week.

All the best

Mark

78986366-3A56-4DAA-9485-166CCDA76838.jpeg

0D804257-028B-4722-9B8A-43F24DB7CC03.jpeg

6C8FF19C-6E2A-4B0E-B8F5-13D0B2267243.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Good morning everyone, just a quick question to all who've received their Caledonian MK5's, what glue or adhesive would people recommend for attaching the destination boards to them so they stay where they are meant to be but aren't so strongly bonded that it'll damage the coach removing them (should the need to do so ever arise). Thanks very much all.

11 hours ago, McC said:

To my eye it looks like the face of the Predator :) 

One ugly.....

It's like they took the front of the 397 and just slapped some buffers on them any which way they'd go.

But I do like them for it, as per my profile pic!

Edited by TomScrut

9 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

Good morning everyone, just a quick question to all who've received their Caledonian MK5's, what glue or adhesive would people recommend for attaching the destination boards to them so they stay where they are meant to be but aren't so strongly bonded that it'll damage the coach removing them (should the need to do so ever arise). Thanks very much all.

PVA works well for name plates and destination boards. Dries clear and can be cleaned off with a damp cloth. Also lets you peal off the nameplate later with no damage. As with all new glues or paints, I would try a little drop of PVA on a painted area that you can't see just to be 100% sure it won't react. Ive been using PVA for years to attach plates to models and had no issues but you can never be too careful!

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

As always,thank you all very much for your replies & tips. I'll try to get myself some PVA over the weekend, thanks again all.

One other thing, treat yourself to a decent PVA! Generic supermarket or WHSmith own brand is rubbish. Go for something like Bostik. The bottle will last you years and it saves you hunting for nameplates if you accidentally touch it and it pings off..... spoken as a victim of own brand rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1