Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

92038 was one of the trio which infamously failed at Carlisle on mk5 testing 26th June 2019, with three 92’s (one on a sleeper, 038 on a mk5 test run and a rescue 92) all ending up failed next to each other for 3 days blocking 3 lines!

92038, 92023, 92033 & 57304 `Pride of Cheshire`

(Also not mine / Flickr url) 

How on earth were they blocking lines for 3 days! Couldn't they get a diesel and drag them clear, at least stick them in the siding to the right there. 

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

How on earth were they blocking lines for 3 days! Couldn't they get a diesel and drag them clear, at least stick them in the siding to the right there. 

Iirc ..

92038 was first off, arrived on a test ecs on thursday with mk5’s.

Ran round, couldnt do a brake release, to the point where it needed the brakes dismantling… it was stuck in the platform  from Thursday to Monday.

92023 came up next, as rescue failed, voltage spike.

However that was the least of the problems as a 73/9 failed at FTW ended up 650 minutes late after problems with the rescue 73/9, and another sleeper was canceled at Watford… and the Glasgow southbound ended up canceled, being the LE which was 92023 stuck at Carlilse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48812707

when they have a party they know how to do it with a bang.

a lot of overtime, cancelations followed and lots of ecs moves, and drags.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i dont know whats more depressing a snide remark, or the fact the poster was  ignorant to read the facts from the very person being sniped who had spent time and research to present them to him.

I'm sorry to you and the OP but they are 96 pages in this thread and sometimes things get missed.

I just did not see that post about the relationship between Chunnel Rings, Shed Plates and Dellners.

And sometimes people will make a comment expecting everyone to have read all the previous posts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Re the latter point, I’ve whined on FB about that too 🤣🤣🤣

You won’t see a 92 with roundels on mk5’s as it never happened. I think 38 was the only one that reappeared with them in Cale blue?

Correct, only 038 carried CS blue and roundels. For shame! I’m a fan of it on freight too! (Not my pic)

Crewe Coal Yard Signal Box

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if the removal was done for livery reasons or to help seal the bodywork (presumably these are mounted through the bodyshell and could allow for ingress of water etc if in poor condition)

• RMweb Premium

I think GBRF just don’t see them as part of their identity. They removed them on 044 under refurb last year. It remained in triple grey, with subtle GBRf branding, but no roundels. Likewise they took them off post-Europorte rebrand on the blue/orange ones like 032. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, njee20 said:

I think GBRF just don’t see them as part of their identity. They removed them on 044 under refurb last year. It remained in triple grey, with subtle GBRf branding, but no roundels. Likewise they took them off post-Europorte rebrand on the blue/orange ones like 032. 

It’s a shame in my opinion that overseas they seem to be retained as part of the locos identity and history but less so here. They will only end up at an auction rather than adding some bling to a great loco. It’s a small thing and I can see why they would but still makes me a bit sad as it makes the railway a little more boring IMO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I agree, it’s a part of the loco’s identity to me, and I think they work with all of the liveries. DB have always retained them, and with a couple having gone to Crewe for modifications perhaps we’ll see red 92s back on the WCML in revenue service again!

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Yes I agree, it’s a part of the loco’s identity to me, and I think they work with all of the liveries. DB have always retained them, and with a couple having gone to Crewe for modifications perhaps we’ll see red 92s back on the WCML in revenue service again!

We can dream, but seeing DB services in the hands of anything other than 66/67 locos seems increasingly unlikely apart from through the tunnel and on HS1. 

• RMweb Premium

I dunno, with 011 and 015 having had the requisite modifications in the last couple of months to work on the WCML it would be odd if there weren’t at least vague plans to utilise them somewhere. 

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

92009 is supposedly having a refurb, rather than a repair… 92109 maybe ?

92029 was having a refurb about 3 years ago then they gave up I think. I will believe the 92 refurb rumours when one is moving on the track!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Heads up class 92’s back in stock on the website.

just bagged a 92003 ( i wanted one to renumber), also in stock the GBRF pair 92020 and 92032 EWS 92001 and Charles Dickens too…

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

just bagged a 92003 ( i wanted one to renumber), also in stock the GBRF pair 92020 and 92032 EWS 92001 and Charles Dickens too…

23 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks for the heads up, 92003 with sound ordered 🤗 I’ll save my points up for the O gauge Class 37,67 and/or 170 to be announced late this year……🤪
Shames Charles Dickens wasn’t available with sound or I’d of had that as well, maybe round two…

Edited by Goodnight Sweetheart

With regard to the Polo mints and BR Arrows on the bodysides of class 92's. In late 2004, i was told by a fitter in Crewe Electric that they were cast as part of the bodyshell and were integral, and could not be removed, is this correct? if so have GBRf had to grind them off the bodysides? This has always made sense seeing as the exported 92's still carry BR arrows and Mints whilst powering around Romania etc. 

i know the polo's on the EPS 37's were removable as i have seen some at auction before. But i've never seen any from a 92 for sale before. 

Can they be easily taken off?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

With regard to the Polo mints and BR Arrows on the bodysides of class 92's. In late 2004, i was told by a fitter in Crewe Electric that they were cast as part of the bodyshell and were integral, and could not be removed, is this correct? if so have GBRf had to grind them off the bodysides? This has always made sense seeing as the exported 92's still carry BR arrows and Mints whilst powering around Romania etc. 

i know the polo's on the EPS 37's were removable as i have seen some at auction before. But i've never seen any from a 92 for sale before. 

Can they be easily taken off?

I understood it to be theres two cabinets in the way, so to remove the circles you need to remove those cabinets.

Class 92 locomotive cock and valve diagram

(flickr url, not mine)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

With regard to the Polo mints and BR Arrows on the bodysides of class 92's. In late 2004, i was told by a fitter in Crewe Electric that they were cast as part of the bodyshell and were integral, and could not be removed, is this correct?

Given that the bodyside is sheet metal, not cast, I can’t see any way that can be true. 

Roy

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I understood it to be theres two cabinets in the way, so to remove the circles you need to remove those cabinets.

Class 92 locomotive cock and valve diagram

(flickr url, not mine)

This has always been my understanding as well, that would also add weight to the overhauled GB locos having them removed as I’d assume the shells where stripped extensively to allow work to be undertaken.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2023 at 09:03, Dan Griffin said:

But i've never seen any from a 92 for sale before. 

92006's ones were auctioned for charity recently enough by GBRf. Odd's of them adorning @McC's bathroom wall?

• Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’m looking at picking up another grey 92 but I don’t want what’s left at Accurascale as in the Europorta or EWS sticker versions.

I noticed on one of the very useful “how to weather” guides that “all printing comes off with Humtrol thinners” would this be the same for the yellow EWS stickers on 036 and  europorta roundle on 043? 

Thanks in advance 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Goodnight Sweetheart said:

Looking closer at the grey 92s left there’s a raised barcode on the body side on both so it wouldn’t be a simple Jon of just removing the unwanted branding. Oh well I’ll just have to wait for a second run if there is one.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/accurascale-92023-class-92-023-ravel-sncf-grey-electric-locomotive

an easy target to renumber.