Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cs233 said:

When was the last image you seen of the prototype with shiny toy like wheels? Can they not be toned down or painted, Bachmann seem to do a very good of this and appear to apply Matt paint to the sidewall

Not really an issue though, most modellers add their touch to locos with weathering etc, I’d rather have to paint a few wheels than lower the ride height of a loco like you have to do with a Bachmann cl37 (older version) 40 an 55 and as good as the Accurascale Deltic is it hasn’t even got the right sized wheels. 

Edited by PjKing1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

55 and as good as the Accurascale Deltic is it hasn’t even got the right sized wheels. 

it has the only size wheels that allow a loco of its profile to run on radius 2 OO track unfortunately. All modeling is a compromise:) If you have large sweeping curves you can swap in our 37 wheelsets. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Unnumbered from Hattons just arrived. 

E7F8C76C-4DE3-4E16-9416-49A02063CF66.jpeg

93B983EB-26AE-4EAD-915F-39AE577F666A.jpeg

1AAC9460-F16A-4D43-96BD-4E1B1204A264.jpeg

A1DAC71F-9A97-4ECF-BFA7-3942CDE2CDBA.jpeg

61562FC5-EA33-4EAA-A74D-F9CE976776BB.jpeg

369C55A1-A95C-49F0-82CE-19A9C65906F9.jpeg

Thanks for the photos, they confirm to me, the main visual error is the curve from the bodyside to the roof, starts too high up the body. This gives the cab doors a flat profile, whereas they should have a curve at the top, to match the bodyside to roof transition. Still happy to go ahead with my green order.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, McC said:

it has the only size wheels that allow a loco of its profile to run on radius 2 OO track unfortunately. All modeling is a compromise:) If you have large sweeping curves you can swap in our 37 wheelsets. 

Yes but if you put larger wheels in, won't the speedometer need recalibrating?

🤪

I'll get my coat.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Totally get the reason behind it, I was just pointing out that all models aren’t 100% accurate for one reason or another so having to paint wheels isn’t really a big issue.  As regards to popping in cl37 wheels wouldn’t the gap between the bogies and body need reducing? 

A bit off topic, but can anyone suggest which Peaks, version, names or numbers ventured into Kent with HAA coal trains for the Thameside cement works during the early to mid '60s? I have seen a picture of a 45 double-headed by a class 33, but cannot make out a number. Any pointers gratefully received.

I know no model will ever satisfy 100% of collectors/modellers BUT - I note that the front of the roof above the front cab windows looks too deep.

I wonder if this is associated with the roof curve on the sides starting too high. For me it just doesn't make the face of the loco look correct. As has correctly been pointed out the roof curve should be lower because the cab doors definitely had a curved top portion.

What's everyone's opinion as to if Bachmann 'Peaks' will be consigned to scrap lines (or auction sites) in favour of the Heljan variety?

For me, I see no need or desire to replace my fleet of Bachmann 'Peaks' with these Heljan offerings. Can anyone say they would and why?

Surely the only plus is the weight and pulling power, but Bachmann's offering will handle 12+ coaches up decent inclines which surely is more than sufficient for most layouts?

• Agree 2

i thought people would only buy them if they wanted a /1 or a particular paint job or number Bachmann didn't do.

Im more than happy with my single Bachmann 45036 , other than it's rather search light LED head lights 

I don't think anyone will be binning recent Bachmann offerings for the Heljan ones, you'll either add to your fleet or stick with your chosen manufacturer.

I never saw much wrong with the older model Peaks once they got flush glazing, it was only ever the absence of a sealed beam marker lights that caused a certain special edition to reach Holy Grail prices.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, rodney21 said:

I know no model will ever satisfy 100% of collectors/modellers BUT - I note that the front of the roof above the front cab windows looks too deep.

I wonder if this is associated with the roof curve on the sides starting too high. For me it just doesn't make the face of the loco look correct. As has correctly been pointed out the roof curve should be lower because the cab doors definitely had a curved top portion.

What's everyone's opinion as to if Bachmann 'Peaks' will be consigned to scrap lines (or auction sites) in favour of the Heljan variety?

For me, I see no need or desire to replace my fleet of Bachmann 'Peaks' with these Heljan offerings. Can anyone say they would and why?

Surely the only plus is the weight and pulling power, but Bachmann's offering will handle 12+ coaches up decent inclines which surely is more than sufficient for most layouts?

Will be interesting to compare haulage power… 12 coach trains do challenge unmodified Bachmann Peaks.

Interesting comment about haulage capacity.

Personally I've never had issues with Bachmann Peak haulage capability. Like I said all the ones I have manage twelve coaches on the level absolutely fine.  I have an under baseboard storage yard and the rise is about eight inches over about 20 feet and they manage ten coaches up that no problem. So, I see no advantage in the Heljan version being any better.

21 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

packaging is interesting in that the loco sits on a screwed in mount, a bit like a model car, which you have to unscrew with a Philips screwdriver.

Any idea what this magnetic stick is for, instructions seem not to reference it!

0CCED38F-D88D-4BDD-8BB0-700BDCA6B49D.jpeg

The magnetic stick is for DC users to switch cab lights on and off by waving the stick over the roof of the loco. It is in the instructions,,,..just under the stick in your photo.   Mark

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, rodney21 said:

Interesting comment about haulage capacity.

Personally I've never had issues with Bachmann Peak haulage capability. Like I said all the ones I have manage twelve coaches on the level absolutely fine.  I have an under baseboard storage yard and the rise is about eight inches over about 20 feet and they manage ten coaches up that no problem. So, I see no advantage in the Heljan version being any better.

Removing the sprung plunger on the inner Undriven axle increases the weight on the two driven axles and therefore improves traction on the Bachmann model.  Hopefully the Heljan model has 3 driven axles on each bogie . Motorails load to 16 bogies…

6 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Early to mid-1960s for HAA wagons? Or do you mean a later period?

I've only ever seen photos from the 1970s, such as these

Dartford Duo

Odd Couple

Northfleet coal train passing Dartford

Thanks for these pics. I was not sure when the merrygoround coal trains to Northfleet started. It may well not have been early '70s, but the last pic does show a 47 in two tone green. It is not critical for me as my SE layout includes electric, late steam and lots of 33s, but I do have 47s in green and blue and a Bachmann 45 in green, so my church is broad depending on my mood. I was looking at the Heljan 45 but I would like some guidance on when the 45s ran into Kent and whether any had been spotted on this work. It would be good to get an appropriate version in the appropriate colour.

2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hopefully the Heljan model has 3 driven axles on each bogie . Motorails load to 16 bogies…

As did 1S19 Bristol-Glasgow and 1V61 Glasgow-Bristol - 16 mk1s in the late 70s and early 80s.

Platform 5 was the nominated platform for its length and the loco siding which is now platform 4C was where the forward AC loco was usually stabled.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Covkid said:

As did 1S19 Bristol-Glasgow and 1V61 Glasgow-Bristol - 16 mk1s in the late 70s and early 80s.

Platform 5 was the nominated platform for its length and the loco siding which is now platform 4C was where the forward AC loco was usually stabled.   

And the only Class 1 to need the bankers up the Lickey outside the summer timetable IIRC

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Nconsistent said:

Thanks for these pics. I was not sure when the merrygoround coal trains to Northfleet started. It may well not have been early '70s, but the last pic does show a 47 in two tone green. It is not critical for me as my SE layout includes electric, late steam and lots of 33s, but I do have 47s in green and blue and a Bachmann 45 in green, so my church is broad depending on my mood. I was looking at the Heljan 45 but I would like some guidance on when the 45s ran into Kent and whether any had been spotted on this work. It would be good to get an appropriate version in the appropriate colour.

Northfleet APCM didn't become fully operation to rail until December 1970, by which time I think all the Class 45 Peaks had been painted blue. See bottom of this page.

https://derbysulzers.com/class45data.html

The last two-tone green 47s were around until 1976 I think.

You can sometimes find some workings of interest on the year by year pages on Derby Sulzers. The Peaks worked a SO train from Nottingham to Margate via Kenny O for a few years in the late 1960s. D40 and D104 in July '68 for instance.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

TMC editions are on view at MK this weekend but for order only. They do look the business.Rails has a full complement for sale.Thus 45118 is with me and currently trundling around my tabletop with 4 Bachmann Mk2A +3 Bachmann 2F in tow.2axles on each bogie driven with floating centre axle.  Nice model. Securely packaged including useful booklet  and very well finished. Smooth performance as you’d expect with a Heljan diesel model. Despite misgivings,I’m very happy and will I think soon place an order for one of TMC’s D11–D15…..all of which were visitors to Temple Meads from 1961 on They were then Neville Hill ( 55H ) locos. And they have a certain “ character “ about them that makes them stand apart…..even though the doors were a white elephant. So then,from me at any rate,we’ll done Ben. But then I speak as I find.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodney21 said:

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

i thought people would only buy them if they wanted a /1 or a particular paint job or number Bachmann didn't do.

Im more than happy with my single Bachmann 45036 , other than it's rather search light LED head lights 

There's certainly not a big enough difference to swap out the Bachmann ones in my opinion, however I expect an ETH Heljan version will eventually wander my way.

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

TMC editions are on view at MK this weekend but for order only. They do look the business.Rails has a full complement for sale.Thus 45118 is with me and currently trundling around my tabletop with 4 Bachmann Mk2A +3 Bachmann 2F in tow.2axles on each bogie driven with floating centre axle.  Nice model. Securely packaged including useful booklet  and very well finished. Smooth performance as you’d expect with a Heljan diesel model. Despite misgivings,I’m very happy and will I think soon place an order for one of TMC’s D11–D15…..all of which were visitors to Temple Meads from 1961 on They were then Neville Hill ( 55H ) locos. And they have a certain “ character “ about them that makes them stand apart…..even though the doors were a white elephant. So then,from me at any rate,we’ll done Ben. But then I speak as I find.

From the TMC stand at GETS...

IMG_20221008_131531.jpg

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, andyman7 said:

There's certainly not a big enough difference to swap out the Bachmann ones in my opinion, however I expect an ETH Heljan version will eventually wander my way.

From the TMC stand and GETS...

IMG_20221008_131531.jpg

That could be mine 😜🤫👍

45118 is sat in front of me as I write this, complete with its chunky grey plastic “cradle”. It doesn’t look right, there’s no avoiding that, but it is not as bad in the flesh as appears in the photos. That’s probably an eyesight thing. It is a shame though as there are so many features that are very pleasing and I find myself wishing that the Bachmann model had. The bogie detail and pipe work is superb, as are the factory applied ETH jumpers and cables. The roof fan is exquisite, though my example has some brown tape and wires immediately underneath. What is less good are the white plastic handrails. I’ve no problem with them being plastic, but all eight have varying degrees of moulding flash which will be difficult to clean up without actually removing them from the body. Also strange that the long bodyside grilles have representation of the body frame under the louvres but the rectangular grille does not. Or rather, it does, but very faintly. 
The cab interior is a thing of beauty, maybe not quite up there with the Bachmann 47 or Accurascale models, but a big step forward for model Peaks. 

• Like 6