Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

In the 1980's these were unusual visitors in Carlisle. We did see them and they weren't a rare sight like 56's or 58's (very rare) at the time but neither were they an everyday sight. I still remember going over to Newcastle to bash them on trans-pennine services. They were such imposing machines, and I found them the nicest looking of the bullnose designs (maybe except for 10000/10001, which I never saw but love in photos and model form).

44 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

In the 1980's these were unusual visitors in Carlisle. We did see them and they weren't a rare sight like 56's or 58's (very rare) at the time but neither were they an everyday sight. I still remember going over to Newcastle to bash them on trans-pennine services. They were such imposing machines, and I found them the nicest looking of the bullnose designs (maybe except for 10000/10001, which I never saw but love in photos and model form).

They regularly worked the Leeds-Carlisle, and before that the Nottingham-Glasgow. Also regularly turned up on the Newcastle-Carlisle loco hauled services. Not unusual at all.

• Agree 3

On 02/10/2022 at 23:05, rob D2 said:

That's because they are way more popular , they've lasted longer and even the enthusiasts today get to see them .

The 40 you'd have to have been around in the early 80s to remember them, two liveries , and limited geographical spread .What's wrong with the newer tooled version from bar well ?

For something else still going , loads of liveries , but also limited geographically we'd like a new 50 - that'd sell " like hot cakes " to me as i'd have ...2.

47s more popular than 40s???!!!!  Do you even like trains or know anything about them? That is demonstrably factual nonsense!  Why do you think they were called duffs?! The 3 most popular diesels are 52s, 55s, and 40s. I don’t care about “polls”, you just have to look at the crowds surrounding their final days. 47s and 37s have never seen anything like that.

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

47s more popular than 40s???!!!!  Do you even like trains or know anything about them? That is demonstrably factual nonsense!  Why do you think they were called duffs?! The 3 most popular diesels are 52s, 55s, and 40s. I don’t care about “polls”, you just have to look at the crowds surrounding their final days. 47s and 37s have never seen anything like that.

That's cos BR didn't withdraw them all (37s and 47s) and private companies inherited quite a few which still run today.  Whereas it replaced the Deltics and 52s with HSTs and the Forty ran out of trains to pull being replaced by surplus 47s and 37s just as the 25s were replaced by surplus 31s.

And how many people turn out at stations these days to see 37s on infrastructure traffic or 47s being hauled by tin can steam engines.

But I am sure your comment was made in jest 😃

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

That's cos BR didn't withdraw them all (37s and 47s) and private companies inherited quite a few which still run today.  Whereas it replaced the Deltics and 52s with HSTs and the Forty ran out of trains to pull being replaced by surplus 47s and 37s just as the 25s were replaced by surplus 31s.

And how many people turn out at stations these days to see 37s on infrastructure traffic or 47s being hauled by tin can steam engines.

VXC last 47s?

Last 37s on NWC?

Compare those to my footage of the last 40 hauled Skegg returning at Man Picc.

Only the “kidz” who like “tonez” like duffs!  I can’t believe I’m even having to argue that 40s are in the top 3 most popular diesels ever…..

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

VXC last 47s?

Last 37s on NWC?

Only the “kidz” who like “tonez” like duffs!  I can’t believe I’m even having to argue that 40s are in the top 3 most popular diesels ever…..

Sorry but my top 3 are 52/42/35 so it really comes down to preference and probably the 52’s would have top most apart from 55 if they came later in the withdrawal sequence

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From my point of view I can see what all the fuss is about, however if it wasn’t for you guys that really know your stuff I wouldn’t have noticed the issues, once you point the errors out I have to refer to books to see, I think this shows that whilst there may be underlying issues to the real experts they will sell in the droves to the less well knowledgeable such as me who see this as a Peak Class 45 and the chance of a Split HC early example via TMC with a bit of history (photos @ BTM) makes it all the more worth purchasing 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

Looks like the Peak Army and everything that went with that.  😃

Wow mildly on topic with the mention of Peak.

I'm just teasing you, I grew up on a diet of 25s, 40s, Peaks and 47s at Victoria in the 70s.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I'm just teasing you, I grew up on a diet of 25s, 40s, Peaks and 47s at Victoria in the 70s.

Sorry, long day, apologies for getting over excited ;-)

Yeah, Victoria was my “patch” in the early 80s.

1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

Sorry but my top 3 are 52/42/35 so it really comes down to preference and probably the 52’s would have top most apart from 55 if they came later in the withdrawal sequence

I’m not talking about personal preference, I really don’t get the fuss about Westerns, but I’d be mad to pretend that they weren’t one of the most popular diesels in UK history!  The 52/55/40 top 3 is objective based on popularity.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

They regularly worked the Leeds-Carlisle, and before that the Nottingham-Glasgow. Also regularly turned up on the Newcastle-Carlisle loco hauled services. Not unusual at all.

It depends how you define regular and unusual. When I was spotting the Tyne Valley line was DMU operated, largely with Class 101's and sometimes Carlisle allocated 108's. The Carlisle - Hull service was double headed 31's, the early morning train from Carlisle to Leeds and late afternoon return was often D200 and a 47 otherwise. The Nottingham services had just been re-routed via the WCML. My memories are that when D200 wasn't working and after D200 moved on S&C services to Carlisle were a combination of 31's and 47's, with 47's the norm as new generation DMUs appeared to displace locomotive hauled trains. The fact that peaks appearing tended to cause a bit of excitement for local spotters and bashers indicates they weren't that common after Nottingham services went electric.

Was browsing Hattons upon receiving an email notifying me that payment was taken for the un-numbered BR Blue 45 and I couldn't help but notice that the box is different. Seems like Heljan are now going for the Dapol/Accurascale (and now Hornby) style packaging. Silly thing to get hung up on I know but I thought it would've been interesting to share.

Photo credit: Hattons Model Railways

45100_202210051552_3497133_Qty1_BOX.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I grew up within earshot of Skelton Junction, Timperley, so similar, really. You did get the occasional Peak amongst the Rats and 40s, plus 20s and 37s in the 80s. I remember the customers and staff of Walton’s model shop all rushing out to the nearby level crossing whenever we heard a 40 pass in 84!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It depends how you define regular and unusual. When I was spotting the Tyne Valley line was DMU operated, largely with Class 101's and sometimes Carlisle allocated 108's. The Carlisle - Hull service was double headed 31's, the early morning train from Carlisle to Leeds and late afternoon return was often D200 and a 47 otherwise. The Nottingham services had just been re-routed via the WCML. My memories are that when D200 wasn't working and after D200 moved on S&C services to Carlisle were a combination of 31's and 47's, with 47's the norm as new generation DMUs appeared to displace locomotive hauled trains. The fact that peaks appearing tended to cause a bit of excitement for local spotters and bashers indicates they weren't that common after Nottingham services went electric.

Nottingham services electric ?

Thats something that passed me by.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ray M said:

Nottingham services electric ?

Thats something that passed me by.

Apologies, I assumed that this bit of the post 'The Nottingham services had just been re-routed via the WCML.' and the fact it was about 1980's Carlisle would be enough to make it clear what I was talking about. However, if not I will state it more clearly, the Glasgow Nottingham services had been re-routed from the S&C to run down the WCML and were electric hauled through Carlisle. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Pure class, passionately spoken.

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

and someone actually defending the class 47…

whats the world coming to.

we seem to have forgotten the cult following of class 20’s too… after the rats this was all that was left at the small end.

(Accrington stanley milk bottle voice…)…

Peak Army, who are they ?

Exactly.

gimme some..ger off, gerrrr off.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

VXC last 47s?

Last 37s on NWC?

4 minutes in, nothing changes.

Same crowd, slightly older, slightly fatter doing thr exact same thing watching 87002 arrive at the same platform a few weeks back.

No who is going to admit to being a secret Can spotter in 1985 ?

(i’ll fess up to having underlined them all by 1984).

Peaks and Cans to me in 1984… just another blue machine, turn the other way await something more interesting. Never noticed them leave, only that the early duffs arrived, including 47406 Rail Riders, later 47488. Then we had 45106 trying to be 40122, that failed after a few trips to NSE opendays, then it self combusted… and well that was it, time to look at Tinsleys other EE stock.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was considered something of an aberration in my 80's spotting days for liking 47's and 87's, not only that but I liked them much more than stuff like 25's, 37's and 40's (but probably not as much as peaks).

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I was considered something of an aberration in my 80's spotting days for liking 47's and 87's, not only that but I liked them much more than stuff like 25's, 37's and 40's (but probably not as much as peaks).

Which was why I would often to found at the south end of Crewe station next to the parcels bay watching the comings and goings of CD.  Apart from the few services that went via Stoke and the Birmingham services, you'd see every mainline service going about it's business.  Soon had all the electrics marked off, ended up spotting coaches and NPCS as I'd pretty much seen all the locos by '79/80.

• Like 2