Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

4 hours ago, 97406 said:

I grew up within earshot of Skelton Junction, Timperley, so similar, really. You did get the occasional Peak amongst the Rats and 40s, plus 20s and 37s in the 80s. I remember the customers and staff of Walton’s model shop all rushing out to the nearby level crossing whenever we heard a 40 pass in 84!

I didn't need to leave my bedroom - I saw all the services out of Trafford Park over the Fallowfield loop, old enough to see traffic out of Irlam Steelworks - and to bring on topic, these were Peak hauled.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Finances permitting I'm having one of these. As others have said, it looks like a Peak, its bristling with detail, its very well finished and to my eyes it captures the bulk of the prototype better than the older Bachmann model. Very impressed with the depth of detail on the bogies and the relationship between the bogie and the body. Agree there are some idiosyncrasies but to my eyes none of them are deal breakers. Competitively priced too.

Dont let the perfect be the enemy of the good and all that :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

4 minutes in, nothing changes.

Same crowd, slightly older, slightly fatter doing thr exact same thing watching 87002 arrive at the same platform a few weeks back.

No who is going to admit to being a secret Can spotter in 1985 ?

(i’ll fess up to having underlined them all by 1984).

Peaks and Cans to me in 1984… just another blue machine, turn the other way await something more interesting. Never noticed them leave, only that the early duffs arrived, including 47406 Rail Riders, later 47488. Then we had 45106 trying to be 40122, that failed after a few trips to NSE opendays, then it self combusted… and well that was it, time to look at Tinsleys other EE stock.

I'll admit to going out of my way to chase after Medusa and Phoenix back when the writing was on the wall for them. But I was always more of a Rat fan and was still missing seeing them puttering around at the time, and I kind of resented the 31s as they seemingly took over from them at Bescot. Who'd have thought that around 10 years later I'd be also missing the 31s too. Never looked twice at a 47 back then, 56s were much more dramatic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

I'll admit to going out of my way to chase after Medusa and Phoenix back when the writing was on the wall for them. But I was always more of a Rat fan and was still missing seeing them puttering around at the time, and I kind of resented the 31s as they seemingly took over from them at Bescot. Who'd have thought that around 10 years later I'd be also missing the 31s too. Never looked twice at a 47 back then, 56s were much more dramatic!

The 31s replaced the 25s in Manchester too, plus 37s to replace 40s.

A Saturday at Victoria - 25 on the banker, 40s on the York and some Bangor services plus freight and Peaks on the trans Pennine services, in those days a 37 were rare, a 31 rarer still.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks like the loco’s are arriving to retailers … with Rails expecting their batch tomorrow (no connection with them!)

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/Heljan-oo-gauge-class-45-due-early-october

I’m planning to attend GETS in Milton K on Saturday, I wonder if some retailers will have a few with them at the show?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Patriot87003 said:

It looks like the loco’s are arriving to retailers … with Rails expecting their batch tomorrow (no connection with them!)

https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/Heljan-oo-gauge-class-45-due-early-october

I’m planning to attend GETS in Milton K on Saturday, I wonder if some retailers will have a few with them at the show?

My Hattons one has just been packed…….

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gary H said:

133 already showing as sold out at Hattons!

Apparently despite the issues mentioned on here they are all sold out at Heljan and a second batch is on the cards….

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gary H said:

133 already showing as sold out at Hattons!

Thats an improvement they were all sold out last week.

I suspect they just pulled them until they had actual quantities, and pre-orders covered.

Theres quite a lot now showing as in stock. Ive ordered my unnumbered one sealed beam with headlight one, its cheaper than Olivias and its the only one offered in this condition.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Apparently despite the issues mentioned on here they are all sold out at Heljan and a second batch is on the cards….

Tbh its an over used statement, several manufacturers do it.

The 25’s and 86’s from previous batches are still among us, they sold out and went to second runs too.

plenty of retailer will have them… and if it does sell out.. well they already said they are making more.. I don’t think we will see an ebay frenzy. For years there was a frenzy over 45048 and claims of galatic demand.. when Bachmann made 5 more.. well they are still with us in retailers too.

it is nice though to finally have a 45/1., they were arguably the more interesting peaks, and these may attract greater interest.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive ordered my unnumbered one sealed beam with headlight one, its cheaper than Olivias and its the only one offered in this condition.

Does anyone know if the unnumbered ones come with a transfer sheet?

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The 25’s and 86’s from previous batches are still among us, they sold out and went to second runs too.

plenty of retailer will have them… and if it does sell out.. well they already said they are making more.. I don’t think we will see an ebay frenzy. For years there was a frenzy over 45048 and claims of galatic demand.. when Bachmann made 5 more.. well they are still with us in retailers too.

it is nice though to finally have a 45/1., they were arguably the more interesting peaks, and these may attract greater interest.

indeed it means the retailers have them all …,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Does anyone know if the unnumbered ones come with a transfer sheet?

I will use Railtec transfers. Very much reccomended.

I may need to order some Tinsley snails though.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Each to their own fortunately. Much as I’d like an 45/1, I’m happier to run a Bachmann 45/0 with a rake of Air-Cons than buy the Heljan one - I can’t get past those cab windows and non-curving cab door.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had a call this morning from Hattons confirming my 45/1 unnumbered blue version was ready to ship (I needed to update my card details). My next job was to contact Railtec to see if they were able to re-stock the complete loco pack for Tinsley allocated 45 141 ‘Zephyr’.
    Within a couple of hours I had a reply that the pack was back in stock and available to order!

A Great response and service from both suppliers and very much appreciated! 

Edited by 43110andyb
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 05/10/2022 at 17:41, aureol40012 said:

47s more popular than 40s???!!!!  Do you even like trains or know anything about them? That is demonstrably factual nonsense!  Why do you think they were called duffs?! The 3 most popular diesels are 52s, 55s, and 40s. I don’t care about “polls”, you just have to look at the crowds surrounding their final days. 47s and 37s have never seen anything like that.

I'm talking about producing models now - not what a bunch of people got excited about in 1977-1985, who will be 50 plus ( and of course not all are modellers )

The 40 was geographically limited , and has no interest or relevance to the younger generation modelling today - they still get to see 37s and 47s daily , your 40s are long since razor blades . Guess what they are going to buy in model form .

And i read recently ( in REX ) that the demand for 40 rail tours dropped off a cliff rapidly after they finished , to the extent some were cancelled .

If you are going to throw insults and ???!!! about at least try and reason your argument  beyond your own obsession 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I'm talking about producing models now - not what a bunch of people got excited about in 1977-1985, who will be 50 plus ( and of course not all are modellers )

The 40 was geographically limited , and has no interest or relevance to the younger generation modelling today - they still get to see 37s and 47s daily , your 40s are long since razor blades . Guess what they are going to buy in model form .

And i read recently ( in REX ) that the demand for 40 rail tours dropped off a cliff rapidly after they finished , to the extent some were cancelled .

If you are going to throw insults and ???!!! about at least try and reason your argument  beyond your own obsession

The same argument would apply to Peaks, but Bachmann and Heljan have gone ahead and produced models head to head with Rapido entering in N too.

24 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The same argument would apply to Peaks, but Bachmann and Heljan have gone ahead and produced models head to head with Rapido entering in N too.

More of them though, potential for 46 maybe, 45/1 never done before and you could see em from cornwall to Newcastle ,

So to me a slightly better prospect 

• RMweb Gold

Back in the olden days, I made a 40 from Mainline Peak bogies, Hornby Class 37 cabs and roof sections and Plastikard. I also made moulds of the bogie springs off the Mainline bogies and kitbashed another 40 using a Hornby power bogie and frames made from Plastikard. Sadly, those models are long gone, but they were sold, so they may still exist somewhere and I will be modelling a 45/1 soon!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only thing niggling me now is that I have yet to see a photo of the model with the rear bogie sandboxes fitted. Not sure if all the photos seen so far are preproduction though they are absent as far as I can see on the Hornby Mag review sample. Surely not a user added extra? Will hang fire from ‘adding to basket’ until I see a production sample. 

4A1F93D6-B394-40EF-A050-7EBDA77BDF43.png

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Only thing niggling me now is that I have yet to see a photo of the model with the rear bogie sandboxes fitted. Not sure if all the photos seen so far are preproduction though they are absent as far as I can see on the Hornby Mag review sample. Surely not a user added extra? Will hang fire from ‘adding to basket’ until I see a production sample. 

4A1F93D6-B394-40EF-A050-7EBDA77BDF43.png

I suspect that they have become detached; look at the LH bogie, lower left of the four attachment holes appears to contain a broken location peg.

CJI.