Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

TMC editions are on view at MK this weekend but for order only. They do look the business.Rails has a full complement for sale.Thus 45118 is with me and currently trundling around my tabletop with 4 Bachmann Mk2A +3 Bachmann 2F in tow.2axles on each bogie driven with floating centre axle.  Nice model. Securely packaged including useful booklet  and very well finished. Smooth performance as you’d expect with a Heljan diesel model. Despite misgivings,I’m very happy and will I think soon place an order for one of TMC’s D11–D15…..all of which were visitors to Temple Meads from 1961 on They were then Neville Hill ( 55H ) locos. And they have a certain “ character “ about them that makes them stand apart…..even though the doors were a white elephant. So then,from me at any rate,we’ll done Ben. But then I speak as I find.

Further to the above:

Twin flywheels etc.

Three axles powered per bogie 

Wiper pickups on six axles.        Thus says the “Technical Data”.   Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking at it again this morning, at those axleboxes..9209AD8C-8DF9-4276-97E4-8AE8DA091B47.jpeg.5e8ef78fd522a704674dd000d6c9dd22.jpeg

i’m not sure if i’m being hasty here… but when comparing all 3, Bachmanns original class 46 is closer to Heljans in size.

Heljans 45/1 size is 6.10mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 4.75mm

Bachmann 45/0 is 5.67mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 3.45mm

Bachmann 1990’s 46 is 5.36mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 3.6mm

it wouldnt stand out so much if all three were close but theres 1.3mm ( 4.5 scale inches) difference between the three.

does anyone know the correct size of a class 45 Timken Axlebox cover ? - ive one offer of 11inches off a 37  that would put Bachmanns 1990’s axlebox as the winner.. but if anyone has the correct size ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further observations on running 45118 this morning.The bogie “swing” referred to by our colleague above is limited.Looks more authentic than its Bachmann counterpart yet hinders….to a certain extent….running around curves,especially at lower control speed.It’s currently happily unimpeded at 5.5 with 7 up. Drop to 4.0 and it stalls.

Historically,Heljan have always needed more juice to get going and this one is no exception .

As regards the colour. It is noticeably darker than both Bachmann’s 45 etc. and Accurascale’s Deltic. And yet ,at least to my judgement,is a good match for the rake of Bachmann blue & greys it’s currently heading. Odd.

The window issue that’s causing concern for many doesn’t signify at eye level in operation I do like running with the cab light on. It enhances the excellent cab detailing.The magic wand pioneered by Rails/Rapido is useful gizmo but why on earth must I take the lid off to switch off the tail light ? DC only .

Despite its little quirks ,for my money it is a seriously good model.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Some very good assessments of the new model, its fair to say I wont be replacing my recent sound fitted Bachmann 45/0 at present, and I'm not sure I can be tempted by a 45/1 at present I have higher priorities. 

Overall it does look a very nice model though, I presume like other Heljen Loco's it come's with the front pipework fitted and you have to remove some to fit a standard coupling. I find that slightly annoying.

As far as the Blue goes certainly If it's like the Blue on my Heljen 25 I like it better than the Bachmann 45 as matches my old Lima Blue loco's better than Bachmann Blue, even if Bachmann Blue is probably more accurate 

Edited by 40002
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As regards the colour. It is noticeably darker than both Bachmann’s 45 etc. and Accurascale’s Deltic. And yet ,at least to my judgement,is a good match for the rake of Bachmann blue & greys it’s currently heading. Odd.

How old are your Bachmann blue & greys? Bachmann's original BR blue was much darker than more recent production - two examples, I bought Kernow's NSE Mark 2a coach twin pack, and an original BFK to go with them off a local retailer's shelf (like many he'd ended up with loads of brake ends) - £16 didn't look such a bargain when I put them together, the older BFK was way darker. Also I currently have a Bachmann Class 42 Warship with D827 Kelly's body (obtained from Peter's Spares) on 870 Zulu's underframe (with D823's running gear.......don't ask, I'm not sure I could explain it now 🤔!) and the two parts really don't match, although at least the darker bit is underneath.

Although it could be argued that Bachmann's current blue is maybe a tad too brilliant, to me Heljan's blue here looks like a throwback to Bachmann's original rather mucky-looking shade, which is disappointing. All the more so because ISTR that Heljan's early tie-up with Howes and their Railmatch paint range led to accurate livery finishes - certainly I've touched in a Heljan Hymek 7017 with Rm BR blue and it was a straight match. I'm not currently planning to buy a Peak but if I were and not specifically a Class 45/1, then based on this and @adb968008's in-depth comparison (nice going adb!) it would have to be the Bachmann model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 40002 said:

Overall it does look a very nice model though, I presume like other Heljen Loco's it come's with the front pipework fitted and you have to remove some to fit a standard coupling. I find that slightly annoying.

Not at all, the NEM pocket is visible on the front, its like Bachmann in that regard.

Just push fit. As its fixed the front end detail is unaffected.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Halvarras said:

How old are your Bachmann blue & greys? Bachmann's original BR blue was much darker than more recent production - two examples, I bought Kernow's NSE Mark 2a coach twin pack, and an original BFK to go with them off a local retailer's shelf (like many he'd ended up with loads of brake ends) - £16 didn't look such a bargain when I put them together, the older BFK was way darker. Also I currently have a Bachmann Class 42 Warship with D827 Kelly's body (obtained from Peter's Spares) on 870 Zulu's underframe (with D823's running gear.......don't ask, I'm not sure I could explain it now 🤔!) and the two parts really don't match, although at least the darker bit is underneath.

Although it could be argued that Bachmann's current blue is maybe a tad too brilliant, to me Heljan's blue here looks like a throwback to Bachmann's original rather mucky-looking shade, which is disappointing. All the more so because ISTR that Heljan's early tie-up with Howes and their Railmatch paint range led to accurate livery finishes - certainly I've touched in a Heljan Hymek 7017 with Rm BR blue and it was a straight match. I'm not currently planning to buy a Peak but if I were and not specifically a Class 45/1, then based on this and @adb968008's in-depth comparison (nice going adb!) it would have to be the Bachmann model.

The 2A’s x4 are c 10 y.o. and the 2F’s x 3 are current. Quite honestly can’t notice the difference. To be clear from my own perspective,comparison with the Bachmann version isn’t on my agenda in any case. This version stands in its own right,notwithstanding the alternative of which I have several and which are equally excellent in their respective ways. 

• RMweb Premium

BR blue has always struck me as a good example of why the concept of scaling colour is well observed. The blue is quite dark, when looked at from a distance in daylight (even on a dark overcast day) locomotives looked noticeably lighter than a colour swab. I have seen models said to use an accurate rail blue colour and in OO they looked way too dark to my eyes.

• Agree 1

On 08/10/2022 at 22:21, Pilgrimbus said:

45118 is sat in front of me as I write this, complete with its chunky grey plastic “cradle”. It doesn’t look right, there’s no avoiding that, but it is not as bad in the flesh as appears in the photos. That’s probably an eyesight thing. It is a shame though as there are so many features that are very pleasing and I find myself wishing that the Bachmann model had. The bogie detail and pipe work is superb, as are the factory applied ETH jumpers and cables. The roof fan is exquisite, though my example has some brown tape and wires immediately underneath. What is less good are the white plastic handrails. I’ve no problem with them being plastic, but all eight have varying degrees of moulding flash which will be difficult to clean up without actually removing them from the body. Also strange that the long bodyside grilles have representation of the body frame under the louvres but the rectangular grille does not. Or rather, it does, but very faintly. 
The cab interior is a thing of beauty, maybe not quite up there with the Bachmann 47 or Accurascale models, but a big step forward for model Peaks. 

I must admit that the lack of body frame representation behind the large rectangular grille is what's putting me off these. I've looked at 10's of images on-line and in real life they appear to be more prominent than those on the lengthy side grilles, which is how I confess I remember them watching them go by on the Midland Main Line from Wicksteed Park's pitch and putt course. If they are indeed (virtually) missing, then for me big boo-boo, more so than the angle of curvature at the top of the doors being (slightly) incorrect. I was thinking about Kernow's Medusa, but again going by the images of the retailer's website the frames on the large grille appear to have gone AWOL. 

I have instead ordered two green versions from another retailer - for whatever reason on-line images (on multiple websites) suggest that with this livery the body frames have returned from leave and are present and correct.... 

My Bachmann ones do NOT have this issue.                    

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

The nose doors don't seem to be very visible - or at all in fact!

My fears exactly - no relief whatsoever in the doors and weathering only served to mask them even more.

The green ends appeared better represented than the yellow.

A shame as I'd have bought a blue D15 if the doors were well presented as it was their stand out feature.

Edited by Holmesfeldian
there, their, they're :-)
  • Agree 1

On 09/10/2022 at 10:41, adb968008 said:

93990865-FF97-4466-B4F9-236E171512C0.jpeg.5f5d42da7242c7e4749b76b50e6ed8ed.jpeg

Bachmann body on a Heljan chassis…

07F7F3F4-A5FD-47E5-A033-2899F3B7FD97.jpeg.5f5e1587ce0734aca5df64167bb14e8a.jpeg
Original combination..

to me its the blue that does it….

The Bachmann 45/0 body sitting on the Heljan Chassis (Top image) imo looks pretty good.

Does the Bachmann body fit ok on the Heljan chassis?  My Bachmann Peak has screws and the Heljan Peak has clips? securing the body to the chassis.

Wouldn't mind upgrading my Bachmann Peak with a Heljan chassis.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

Does the Bachmann body fit ok on the Heljan chassis?  My Bachmann Peak has screws and the Heljan Peak has clips? securing the body to the chassis.

Wouldn't mind upgrading my Bachmann Peak with a Heljan chassis.

yes, and vice versa you could put a Heljan on a Bachmann chassis, the dimensions of both work.

However to make permanent, you need to remove the screw threads inside the body as neither line up to each other, and wont sit ontop of the other correctly. ( I cheated to make mine work).

To hold the body in place you could use double sided tape, this is what I used on my older Replica class 45’s and a modern Bachmann chassis… its a strong fix but not permanent… i’m shortly going to have a few Spare Bachmann chassis as I dump my old Replica/Mainline ones.

i’m thinking I may copy Heljans “white” pipe measurements and bend some copper pipe and fit to my Bachmann 45’s frames.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

My fears exactly - no relief whatsoever in the doors and weathering only served to mask them even more.

The green ends appeared better represented than the yellow.

A shame as I'd have bought a blue D15 if the doors were well presented as it was their stand out feature.

That's a real shame - a model of D15 with the end doors as an obvious feature, with body frames clear and obvious a la Bachmann (but like the end door apparently gone AWOL), and weathered, could have been a superb model.

But this appears to be taking subtlety too far...

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2022 at 16:27, adb968008 said:

The pipe and lifting detail between the body and bogie is pretty good, as are the handrails.

The real selling point of this model is that it is a 45/1, weve never had one before with the right roof.

Is that not a bit of a contradiction? The white pipes between bogie and body are the steam heat pipes that as far as I can remember, were never present on a 45/1.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is that not a bit of a contradiction? The white pipes between bogie and body are the steam heat pipes that as far as I can remember, were never present on a 45/1.

Roy

The white pipe is not a steam heat pipe its the vacuum brake pipe, 

also present at No2 end A side is the main res pipe, from the nose compressor, which is a similar gauge and colour pipe running to the main reservoirs in the centre of the loco.

20220430_154556.jpg.2201eda1e099a83db22a98dec914bd4e.jpg

as can be seen there the vacuum pipe just below the cab door runs under the cab to the drivers Fv4 valve.

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, owentherail said:

45106 has a hatch on side that's silver on early pics of model which have obviously been painted green at a later date on the released loco. 

Yes I picked up on that a while back and it has been corrected as you say. Also of note on this model the former boiler room panel is exposed which is correct for 45102-7 and 45112. Unless I've missed a commission, Heljan have yet to announce a blue model with this variant. The non-headlight fitted un-numbered 45/1 for Olivia's trains does feature the lower bodyside grille by the looks of things, but not the exposed ex-boiler room grille. Since apparently there is no grille modelled underneath the cover, this makes modelling others of this group a bit tricky unless you re-spray 106. Incidentally (and probably not a co-incidence), all the 45/1s with the uncovered boiler room grille also featured the additional lower bodyside grilles.

Noted comments about the lack of visibility of the body framing behind the radiator grille, this seems to be less of an issue with 106, possibly because the grilles are light grey rather than blue but the definition tends to fade a bit if viewed from No2 end and depends on lighting conditions. The grey of the nose side body grilles extends over the outer frames, which it shouldn't according to photographs of the prototype (and my memories). There has been an interesting attempt to imitate metal lustre on the Tinsley rose depot plaques with the left side depicted shinier than the right. No etches are included for this detail, which is a shame as Shawplan don't seem to do a red background version of these plaques. Also it really needs etched silver double arrows, but these should be easier to source.

Other than that, I agree with comments that the finished loco is not as bad as I had feared, but definitely seems a bit on the tall side and the curvature of the roofline is not quite there compared to the Bachmann 45/0. Also I believe the sealed beam marker lights are a wee bit small. 

Still, it's a 45/1, and I need 45/1s (and 46s with sealed beams).

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
  • Agree 1