Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, lincolnshiremodeller said:

That said whilst the talk of a lack of curvature on the top of the door is valid the angle of that last prototype picture makes the curvature look very subtle indeed. If the real thing looks subtle will that translate to a 4mm model?

Bachmann managed it, as did Mainline many years ago. 

Roy

• Agree 6

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, lincolnshiremodeller said:

According to a Hattons advert it's now Q2 2022 before the 45 will be available.....

I cant help thinking Heljan have missed the boat on these - how much of the market for them has now been saturated with discounted Bachmanns as they try to get rid of their last batch

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

I cant help thinking Heljan have missed the boat on these - how much of the market for them has now been saturated with discounted Bachmanns as they try to get rid of their last batch

Not much,

Heljan are doing a 45/1… something never properly modelled, Replica Railways was the only attempt.

Bachmann is offering a 45/0.

Though I've always doubted the size of the market for a 45,  there is demand, but a class 20 / 25 / 37 / 40 / 47 / 50 / 55 it is not… as you say the 45/0’s are hanging around, I suspect after everyones got their initial fill, 45/1’s may stick around too.

all such a long time since 2017, when a Bachmann 45048 sold for £335….. yet 5 limited production blue ones are still yet to disappear from shop shelves at c£130 after discount.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

The problem Heljan have got is-

I'm sure I'm not alone in the position of owning a couple of new Bachmann 45/0's, and I'm quite willing to wait to see if they announce a 45/1.....

And seeing the Heljan version hasn't persuaded me otherwise.

(although, to be fair, I'll make a final decision when the Heljan one is released and I see one 'in the flesh')

What it has definitely stopped me from doing, is pre-ordering the Heljan model.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 7

Bachmann's achilles in diesel locos have always been the very poor buffer beam detail, especially the ETH and multiple working cables and connectors. 

The class 40 MW bogie details is 0 gauge !

Heljan has always been far superior definition in this respect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

Bachmann's achilles in diesel locos have always been the very poor buffer beam detail, especially the ETH and multiple working cables and connectors. 

But if I had to pick one or the other I’d take correct shape of body over buffer beam detail which is where Heljan is far inferior! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

5 hours ago, Global said:

But if I had to pick one or the other I’d take correct shape of body over buffer beam detail which is where Heljan is far inferior! 

I suppose that maybe sums up the reality of British outline modelling....the buyer often has to decide which is the "least worse" option. I wonder if our German/American/Japanese friends have the same problem?

I opted for a 45/0 from Bachmann as I got tired waiting for Heljan. Ideally I'd like a 45/1 still so will wait and see what Heljan comes up with. Personally I'm a fan of Heljan running quality over Bachmann but like others when it comes to body shape I'll wait and see one in the flesh.

• Like 4

On 07/01/2022 at 11:46, Holmesfeldian said:

I agree but that can be rectified easily as they are "add ons", basic errors in window and door profile are a different matter. I've now decided to convert a Baccy 45 to ETH I've got the how to details somewhere on file and Brian Daniels Flickr site always yield useful pictures of the roof mods required.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 17/12/2021 at 01:04, YesTor said:

Absolutely.  And it doesn't appear as though the misshaped windscreens have been corrected either.  That's a huge thumbs down.

Al

I agree.

Maybe Heljan should take inspiration from Hornby and have an ‘inspired by’ range?!

Inspired by Class 45, Class 47 etc. ;-) Looks a bit like it should but not quite! 

• Funny 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DaveC46026 said:

Have I missed anything? It's gone awfully quiet in the peak front from Heljan!

In May Hornby Mag theres a review of whats coming in 2022 . Under Heljan it says that Class 45 diesels currently in production and due to appear later this summer . The 47 is undergoing modifications and will follow the 45 at end of year

Hope that helps 

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Legend said:

In May Hornby Mag theres a review of whats coming in 2022 . Under Heljan it says that Class 45 diesels currently in production and due to appear later this summer . The 47 is undergoing modifications and will follow the 45 at end of year

Hope that helps 

Class 47 being modified sounds promising, if no mention of 45 having been modified, potentially disappointing. 

Roy

• Agree 1

If the Class 47 is being modified - is this because it has competition for Bachmann perhaps ?

The EP's have had shape issues for a long time and Heljan didn't seem to be taking any notice of "feedback" from here before.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, iwfb said:

If the Class 47 is being modified - is this because it has competition for Bachmann perhaps ?

The EP's have had shape issues for a long time and Heljan didn't seem to be taking any notice of "feedback" from here before.

Certainly I think the competition issue will focus minds. For a £100-150 loco I think the market could cope with directly competing models, but now the price of locos has pushed well beyond that, I am unsure that the market is viable for competing models competing for the same sector.

It is not like we have had with the Hornby, Bachmann and Hattons 66s aimed at three clearly different  levels of detail, here we will have a Bachmann and Heljan Brush that are facing off on supposedly on level terms. Will be interesting to see this one develop.

Given the new Bachmann Brush has been fairly well received with only minor criticism, the Heljan offering is going to have to equal or better that, especially given that the pricing appears broadly similar.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Given the new Bachmann Brush has been fairly well received with only minor criticism, the Heljan offering is going to have to equal or better that, especially given that the pricing appears broadly similar.

Back to the drawing board then.... 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Certainly I think the competition issue will focus minds. For a £100-150 loco I think the market could cope with directly competing models, but now the price of locos has pushed well beyond that, I am unsure that the market is viable for competing models competing for the same sector.

It is not like we have had with the Hornby, Bachmann and Hattons 66s aimed at three clearly different  levels of detail, here we will have a Bachmann and Heljan Brush that are facing off on supposedly on level terms. Will be interesting to see this one develop.

Roy

Bachman's 47 has been well received, but its not sold out at retailers… indeed one put the DCC ready version on sale twice but the “in stock” numbers didn't seem to change.

I cant speak for others, but i’m yet to dive in and buy one, I dont see anything wrong with it, I am interested in a couple but my spend seems to divert to other priorities.

I think its down to particular prototype modelled.. i’m much more driven towards the upcoming 47/7’s.. and the gaps I have are Scottish 47’s in particular (47461, 47517, 47541, 47593, 47637, 47642, 47643, 47646 etc… those who did the highlands will know why)… generally starved of Intercity ( Original) and Large Logo 47’s which are perennial favourites, and Scottish in particular as it dates people back to late 1980’s and the fall of ED prior to the 156/158’s arrivals….

A Heljan 47 is competing not just against Bachmanns, but against 20 years worth of relatively well detailed ViTrains, Bachmann ( and residual none-self destructed Heljan 47’s) in cherished liveries.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Bachman's 47 has been well received, but its not sold out at retailers… indeed one put the DCC ready version on sale twice but the “in stock” numbers didn't seem to change.

I cant speak for others, but i’m yet to dive in and buy one, I dont see anything wrong with it, I am interested in a couple but my spend seems to divert to other priorities.

I think its down to particular prototype modelled.. i’m much more driven towards the upcoming 47/7’s.. and the gaps I have are Scottish 47’s in particular (47461, 47517, 47541, 47593, 47637, 47642, 47643, 47646 etc… those who did the highlands will know why)… generally starved of Intercity ( Original) and Large Logo 47’s which are perennial favourites, and Scottish in particular as it dates people back to late 1980’s and the fall of ED prior to the 156/158’s arrivals….

A Heljan 47 is competing not just against Bachmanns, but against 20 years worth of relatively well detailed ViTrains, Bachmann ( and residual none-self destructed Heljan 47’s) in cherished liveries.

Fully agree on the need for Bachmann to churn out some more liveries, and even more so the Scottish variants - I too used to do Scotland in the mid-80s… If Heljan roll out a model that competes well enough I could be tempted.

I have Bachmann’s SFX 47012 and am impressed, but as you say about there being a history of pretty good 47s, I am not about to sell my current Bachmann fleet to upgrade and will just pick up occasional new models as they arrive. 

As for the 45, and to bring us back OT, I want some 45/1s, but not with shape errors. Once again, I find myself in the usual situation of not pre-ordering Heljan and waiting to see. 

Roy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Very true, which is why they are probably doing modern liveries and ones that haven’t been offered before. We have taken delivery of 2 new Bachmann 47s, wonderful locos, but not worthy of a whole fleet wide replacement. Given you can pick up older Bachmann ones for £100 or less, the duff market is saturated. That said, so many duffs are needed if modelling the Uk. 

Onto the 45s, again, excited for the 45/1. But with seal beamers from Bachmann now saturating the market, I do worry for its success. The lack of response on clear issue’s is just unacceptable for a model being produced in 2022. I hope the extended delay of multiple years has rectified some basic shape flaws, but I remain doubtful over the companies track record. (For the record, I have bought and continue to buy many Heljan products) but their streak of clutching defeat from the jaws of victory is well founded. Hope to see the 45 soon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1