Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

15 hours ago, 37114 said:

I see what you mean and I thought the same but I think the angle of the photo is deceptive. Have a look at the pictures here and it looks better to my eyes:

I was thinking of getting one with orange cant rail line but this is too low only by a tad 45118 is the same. They should also have a black bonnet. Hopefully the production runs are ok. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone seen videos of this running ?

i note the front leading axle is correctly modelled with the axle protuding the frame, but this inhibits oscillation on curves. The other 3 axles also look fixed.

So i’m wondering how this handles curves ?

As reference Mainline, Replica, Bachmann all used a 6 axle bogie, with 1 axle held in a cradle that oscilates freely, but it meant the protruding axle was a moulded representation of the frame.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly one of the last people to be able to speak to the accuracy of the model. What I will say is that it looks very attractive in its weathered form for Kernow. And I love that Heljan model open cab windows. A small thing, but it really makes a difference.

I do wish that there was a factory fitted sound option though.

Edited by curlypaws
Added note re sound fitting.
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

i note the front leading axle is correctly modelled with the axle protuding the frame, but this inhibits oscillation on curves. The other 3 axles also look fixed.

As reference Mainline, Replica, Bachmann all used a 6 axle bogie, with 1 axle held in a cradle that oscilates freely, but it meant the protruding axle was a moulded representation of the frame.

This is the bogie of a Kernow Bulleid diesel. The 45 is stated to have a floating internal bogie, so I imagine the arrangement will be similar. On the Bulleid, the carrying axle allows considerable side-to-side movement, so probably it was wise to depict the axle ends as a stud, unconnected to the functional axle. The 45 seems to show an axle end, so perhaps Heljan has come up with a cunning alternative.

Bulleid.jpg

• Like 2

On 23/07/2022 at 20:53, adb968008 said:

I've had a sample running on my layout for around 18 months and I can confirm that all the samples we've had are superb runners. The pony trucks are prototypically modelled with the stub of the axle protruding out through the side frames. It is not inhibited in its movement and works very effectively. I haven't had a single derailment during testing. The three powered axles are contained in a separately 'floating' inner bogie which provides excellent riding capabilities (similar to Kernow's Bulleid diesels). All six driving axles are powered and have pick ups. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, 61661 said:

I've had a sample running on my layout for around 18 months and I can confirm that all the samples we've had are superb runners. The pony trucks are prototypically modelled with the stub of the axle protruding out through the side frames. It is not inhibited in its movement and works very effectively. I haven't had a single derailment during testing. The three powered axles are contained in a separately 'floating' inner bogie which provides excellent riding capabilities (similar to Kernow's Bulleid diesels). All six driving axles are powered and have pick ups. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

What is the minimum radius acceptable for the 'floating' inner bogie, please?

The recent model of the gas turbine 18000 has this arrangement, and has to be modified by the purchaser in order to handle medium radii .

CJI.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

What is the minimum radius acceptable for the 'floating' inner bogie, please?

The recent model of the gas turbine 18000 has this arrangement, and has to be modified by the purchaser in order to handle medium radii .

CJI.

Class 45s are suitable for second radius trainset curves/points. The very specific design of 18000 with deep side skirts meant that a floating inner bogie arrangement had to be adopted even to get around R3 curves. Class 45s have no side skirts and the bogies are free to rotate further. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

The blanking plates always look brutal and totally OTT on models !

294662383_2213265888850601_5287790953086181732_n.jpg

Totally agree, both Bachmann and Heljan have them as separate parts and they just look too chunky.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Totally agree, both Bachmann and Heljan have them as separate parts and they just look too chunky.

Cheers Peter.

To be fair, the 'sealed beam' 45/0's that Bachmann did recently had these as part of the moulding and they looked pretty good. 

Cameron

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

To be fair, the 'sealed beam' 45/0's that Bachmann did recently had these as part of the moulding and they looked pretty good. 

Cameron

I haven't see one in person but agree the pics of the newer molding don't look to bad.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2022 at 21:02, curlypaws said:

I'm certainly one of the last people to be able to speak to the accuracy of the model. What I will say is that it looks very attractive in its weathered form for Kernow. And I love that Heljan model open cab windows. A small thing, but it really makes a difference.

I do wish that there was a factory fitted sound option though.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. We focus in on different things and seeing a model at its actual size in a model shop is usually very different to the experience of seeing it in a digital image.   The weathered versions look especially well finished and the BR blue looks spot on. I'm in the market for '60's liveries and haven't seen a weathered edition but will see them in the cabinet at either Hereford or Cheltenham Model Centre and and I can well imagine buying one if it looks 'right'  :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 25/07/2022 at 16:25, Holmesfeldian said:

The blanking plates always look brutal and totally OTT on models !

294662383_2213265888850601_5287790953086181732_n.jpg

That is a fascinating picture. What catches my eye is the driver looking down at what looks like a curved plate sticking out from the bogie. Could that be something to do with loading gauge testing?

4 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Is that not the top of a sanding box

Ah! I’d been puzzling over the dark curve. A shadow? Hardly. An oil streak? Unlikely. In the light of your suggestion, suddenly I saw it as the lid. Thank you. Where’s my dunce’s cap? 

One positive change Heljan have made (compared with the photo of 45106 on their website) is to include the access panel below the long bodyside grille on one side. However, on 45106 they have this hatch painted light green, but every pic I can find in this period, including my own, show it as Brunswick green. I reserve judgement on the nose and cab roof until I see pics from "head-on" but I see what people are saying. I was scathing about the Heljan 25 which in my eyes had similar issues, principally the angle of rake of the upper part of the cab front. That said I know many people have bought this model and are quite happy. I really want to want this model as my layout is crying out for some accurate 45/1s, and 46s to go with the rest of my fleet. 

Here's hoping, anyway.....

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
For clarity
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, apollo 079 said:

One positive change Heljan have made (compared with the photo of 45106 on their website) is to include the access panel below the long bodyside grille on one side. However, on 45106 they have this hatch painted light green, but every pic I can find in this period, including my own, show it as Brunswick green. I reserve judgement on the nose and cab roof until I see pics from "head-on" but I see what people are saying. I was scathing about the Heljan 25 which in my eyes had similar issues, principally the angle of rake of the upper part of the cab front. That said I know many people have bought this model and are quite happy. I really want to want this model as my layout is crying out for some accurate 45/1s, and 46s to go with the rest of my fleet. 

Here's hoping, anyway.....

Kevin

Have a look on TMC's site - they have a revolving 360 degree image that you can freeze to see the head on view. 

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2022 at 04:27, P.C.M said:

I haven't see one in person but agree the pics of the newer molding don't look to bad.

I was going to be rude and say "Had you bothered to come to DEMU showcase, Ben was letting people have a good look at the models he had with him" then I spotted you were in Australia....whoops. 😮

I can reassure you the models Ben had with him did look very good. 👌As did the BRCW dmu. 👏

When the floor plan was devised for Showcase, the Heljan stand was placed next door to the Gents loos. Ben turned up with a huge banner which hid the sign for the Gents. I spent all weekend when asked where the Gents were, telling people to go behind the Heljan display. I do hope no one relived themselves on the back of the banner but did spot the door to the toilets. 🥴

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Just seen a picture of one of these releases, the size of the cut out in the bogie frame for the pony axle is HUUUUUUUGE! Way over size. 

Thanks for the feedback. It's a compromise forced by the necessity to work over second radius train set curves and sudden, sharp changes of gradient on model railways. If we'd made it to scale it would have restricted the movement of the pony truck and caused a whole raft of complaints from people who use R2 curves. However, the fact that it actually has a proper axle stub protruding through a hole in the bogie frame is a big step forward from previous models of 1-Co-Co-1 locos. In fact this feature was one of the most frequently mentioned positive aspects raised by people who had a close look at the Peaks at DEMU Showcase last weekend. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Thanks for the feedback. It's a compromise forced by the necessity to work over second radius train set curves and sudden, sharp changes of gradient on model railways. If we'd made it to scale it would have restricted the movement of the pony truck and caused a whole raft of complaints from people who use R2 curves. However, the fact that it actually has a proper axle stub protruding through a hole in the bogie frame is a big step forward from previous models of 1-Co-Co-1 locos. In fact this feature was one of the most frequently mentioned positive aspects raised by people who had a close look at the Peaks at DEMU Showcase last weekend. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hi Ben

Yourself and fellow manufacturers seem to be caught in a "Catch 22" situation, 

Punter A says "I want the most detailed model you can make in my affordable range".

Lovely model made.

Punter B says "It won't go around my radius two curves".

Compromise made on the lovely model.

Punter C moans " It looks carp due to the compromise". 

Development chappie at said company finds new job designing knitting needles.

For those who weren't at DEMU Showcase (or were in to much of a hurry to go to the loo and didn't stop by the Heljan stand) not only did the Peaks look nice by so did 10800.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ben

Yourself and fellow manufacturers seem to be caught in a "Catch 22" situation, 

Punter A says "I want the most detailed model you can make in my affordable range".

Lovely model made.

Punter B says "It won't go around my radius two curves".

Compromise made on the lovely model.

Punter C moans " It looks carp due to the compromise". 

Development chappie at said company finds new job designing knitting needles.

For those who weren't at DEMU Showcase (or were in to much of a hurry to go to the loo and didn't stop by the Heljan stand) not only did the Peaks look nice by so did 10800.

Thanks for the report on 10800. As for Punters A, B and C, I think you have it right. Some people tend to think of RMwebbers as a unit but we’re all different.

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...