Cooper Craft to be at Railwells?

polybear

If he ever does write his memoirs, they should make entertaining reading. If he is honest, they might even be informative. As for his products, my experiences with the early ones made me avoid his products like the plague. All the same, he incorporated some good ideas which were worth while. In contrast, some visible features were very poor, especially for models which were supposed to be the last word. What let them all down were the mechanisms. I’d love to know why on earth he persisted with a setup which performed so badly. Hornby has been hammered for employing people who knew next to nothing about model railways but here is an example of a person who appeared to know something of model railways but nothing much about running a business. Despite all the disparaging remarks about “bean counters”, they clearly have a role to play.

It is all rather sad. A couple of people who could have taken DJ by the scruff of the neck and told him what needed to be done and what should not be done might have led to a different outcome.

What doesn’t seem to get much of a mention is that, behind the polite words of appreciation, his departure seems to have left Dapol in the lurch with no succession planning. It took a while but in the long term, Dapol seems to have benefited greatly. Compare the 22 and 68.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 1whitemoor said:

Is nowhere on this forum free from the tiresome quipping about DJ Models? You'd be forgiven for thinking this thread was about Cooper Craft appearing at Railwells. 

Paul A. 

People clearly find parallels between these two suppliers' performances or otherwise. Now you know Coopercraft is at Railwells you don't need to refer to the thread again if it offends you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 hours ago, Nile said:

Does Mr D actually have anything to sell?

Just for a giggle I tried ordering some of the etched "spares" on his website (after all he states etchings are available)

Once the order confirmation is taken, it says I will be contacted in regards to overseas mailing costs.

That was two weeks ago....nothing, nada, nil, zilch since.

Even filled in a contact form to enquire when I would get my costs?

Dunns empty space emporium continues ad infinitum

• Friendly/supportive 1

The irritating thing is that I would like to build Roxey Moulding's LBSCR Balloon PP driving third, but in order to make it into a PP set I need the (ex-Blacksmith) Balloon composite, which is owned by...CooperCraft.

If I was in the UK, I would certainly pay a visit!

Edited by truffy
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Is nowhere on this forum free from the tiresome quipping about DJ Models? You'd be forgiven for thinking this thread was about Cooper Craft appearing at Railwells. 

Paul A. 

No.

You know where the IGNORE THIS TOPIC button is, I presume?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, meil said:

How on earth can such a reputable show as this even consider, let alone actually, invite some one like Cooper Craft to the show?

16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can only assume that no one has told them.

He's paying them for a stand ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, meil said:

How on earth can such a reputable show as this even consider, let alone actually, invite some one like Cooper Craft to the show?

A very pertinent comment on more than one level.......

Jack

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

I have the same issue. I've been interested in a lot of CooperCraft's kits over the years but their reputation has always put me off handing any money over. 

Good for you! Little chance of a completed order arriving, we are told. 

But his presence at another show does give those who wish to buy a chance to do so, and those who feel they have been ripped-off to have a suitable conversation.....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

You can't fight years of evolution, people love a good lynchin', yessirreee.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

I have the same issue. I've been interested in a lot of CooperCraft's kits over the years but their reputation has always put me off handing any money over. 

He's not had much in the way of plastic models for sale, the last couple of years, it's been just the stuff left that nobody wants. Although there have been rumors that some form of platic moulding is now taking place.

• RMweb Gold

19 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

.........................You'd be forgiven for thinking this thread was about Cooper Craft appearing at Railwells. 

He will most likely have for sale his re-introduced range of 'Blacksmith' GWR coach etched sides. I will be purchasing some of these.

Last year he had a large number of CC plastic sides and ends suitable for scratchbuilding , IIRC there were quite a few GWR four (?) plank sides.

15 hours ago, meil said:

I'm conflicted on this one - while having a stand does give him an undeserved impression of respectability, it has meant I've been able to pick up some otherwise hard to find bits - in my case enough parts to build a rake of Slater's 6-wheel MR carriages from his dwindling stock (that was 2-3 years ago - the last time he appeared at ExpoEM or Scaleforum).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

He will most likely have for sale his re-introduced range of 'Blacksmith' GWR coach etched sides. I will be purchasing some of these.

Why not walk off with them without paying? See how he likes it.....:jester:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Then ignore all his reasonable requests for payment.

I would not condone shoplifting, but if he owed me £30 for years I would have no problem selecting £30 worth of stuff from his stand, then telling him to use the money he owes me to pay for it as I walk off.  Suggest bringing some proof with you that he owes money in case he calls security.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2