Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully constructing a 13 is way beyond my skills, as it would never be able to run on my layout's curves!

Where are the motors on 13?  Are they above the axles geared down to the quill drives?  Might take a lot of space up inside the centre of the body?

That 10kV loco is rather thought provoking.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No problem fitting these motors in the EE1.

IMG_0962.jpg.df12c2eff03946156e39b88d8937cb7b.jpg

They are about the same size as No13's traction motors, I could easily fit all six like this but three of them will provide more than enough power. This axle is rigid so the gearbox is just soldered to the side frame, gears are .5 module 1:1, the pinions are just big enough to bore out to 3/16" and there's just enough clearance for them. The other two axles are compensated so the gearboxes will probably be attached to the compensating beams just inside the frame plates. 

I've got another installation of these in the 7mm EE/HL test, this time geared down about 2:1 and fastened to the frames. The compensated axles can move up and down enough without going out of mesh as long as they are fitted exactly on the horizontal axle centre line - another benefit of restricting axle movement as much as possible.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the vee block being used for its proper purpose.

I enjoy starting jobs, can tolerate the bit in the middle but usually rush the finishing, because I've got fed up with it by then.

• Agree 2

On 04/12/2021 at 21:25, St Enodoc said:

Nice to see the vee block being used for its proper purpose.

I enjoy starting jobs, can tolerate the bit in the middle but usually rush the finishing, because I've got fed up with it by then.

Agreed - you reach the point where it looks done, but you then realise there are a dozen fiddly jobs to do before you can paint it.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I'm still trying to work out a way of making this removable for painting but I didn't with the other NER electrics I've built before.

Instead of wire through the roof, could you use, say, 14BA threaded rod, and make it unboltable in a similar fashion to the cabs etc on your other kits?

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a very difficult bend to make at the cantrail, Mike - very nicely done on yours though. Particularly hard to get the bend right with so little to grip at the door aperture - or is the roof one piece with the sides?

At least this is brass, so easier to bend, but will the production ones be too? 

• RMweb Premium

The roof is half etched leaving the gutter standing out, it turned out to be quite easy to bend but the cutout round the door led to some distortion which had to be worked out. The beading added later did a lot to hide this though.

I think I've worked out how to make the pans removable by soldering the spring retainer etches to the lower arms and leaving the pivot wires loose for now - they can be slid out and the pan itself taken off, rails and pads remaining on the roof.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

No.13 finished and assembled today.

IMG_0990.jpg.094427e484716da653ec1c279c0ada1c.jpg

A few photos of the component assemblies.

IMG_0984.jpg.f6cf111b1674a8e656ae6540bf850893.jpg

The completed inner frame with all three motor/gearboxes, 1:1 drive on to the axles with .5 module plastic pinions.

IMG_0985.jpg.3828320dd38aa7609f46ef6612188296.jpg

Again from underneath, some rather creative work with the brake gear and sandpipes to hold everything together. The exact brake rigging isn't clear from drawings or photos so there's just a pull rod down each side. The sandpipes can't very well be attached to the sandboxes or the inner frames wouldn't come out so they are soldered to the nearest brake hangers with a strap across to the brake pull rods to hold is all together. The tops of the sandpipes will locate in holes in the bottom of the sandboxes - the NER seems to have been obsessed with providing huge quantities of sand in all their electric locos.

IMG_0986.jpg.60432a1be83e5a2cba37300b7ae3bb02.jpg

The footplate and inside details (as far as I can identify), the compressor looks a bit lonely but it's the only one I can definitely identify and looks just like the one fitted to the ES1s. The box in the middle encloses the traction motor blowers, the air intake for this comes from the louvred box on the roof.

IMG_0987.jpg.0f98853e735be15d8fbb5061ee71f0cd.jpg

I managed to work out a way of making the pantographs removable, the four pivot wires are threaded in to locate the lower pivots. The small hooks are to catch on the lower arm cross braces to hold the pans in the down position.

IMG_0988.jpg.c919fbaabf367da52689de52dcf94d76.jpg

The end corner handrails were left off until final assembly to avoid damage, they can only be soldered to the top brackets, at the bottom they locate in holes in the buffer beam and footplate. Buffers are from Invertrain, GE were the nearest I could find, the oval heads are on the etch - not visible in the photos but the heads are prevented from rotating by a small plate soldered to the tail running against the inside face of the outer frame. Vacuum pipe (horizontal) is on the left in this picture, air brake and steam heat hoses on the right.

IMG_0989.jpg.cbffe290a06a3058e3292e93a1a111c3.jpg

Underside view of one of the bogies, I modified these slightly to allow for the inner frames to be bolted in - two 12BA screws seen here either side of the pivot bolt

That's Bloody Superb, Mike.
It'll have true presence when running.
Merry Yule and Lady's Blessings to you and your family.
Best wishes and a happy new year,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...