Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It's a bit earlier than that! If you look at the depiction of the Roman god you will see that he faces both ways. YE got stuck on names ending in "us" after that, following on with Taurus and Indus.

I wonder what might have come next...

On 27/01/2022 at 15:32, Michael Edge said:

It's a bit earlier than that! If you look at the depiction of the Roman god you will see that he faces both ways. YE got stuck on names ending in "us" after that, following on with Taurus and Indus.

My father always said Janus was the god of the doorway, looking both ways.

Hence January, where he looks forwards into the new year, and backwards into the old.

FWIW

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Hocus Pocus by Focus

I've still got two Focus albums on vinyl! I ought to dig them out and have a listen!

I wonder whether Thijs van Leer ever jammed with Ian Anderson...

• Like 2

Mike, is this 7mm Janus a scaled-up version of the 4mm kit and goes together in the same way? I would like a 4mm Janus but forming the engine casings has put me off this far. I would like to see how they're done on this larger scale one.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Mike, is this 7mm Janus a scaled-up version of the 4mm kit and goes together in the same way? I would like a 4mm Janus but forming the engine casings has put me off this far. I would like to see how they're done on this larger scale one.

Yes the Janus is a simple scale up of the 4mm production etch. As usual with 7mm test etches I alter hole sizes to match bushes and Slater's crankpins but not much else, the frame spacers are the EM ones x1.75. It also needed extra buffer beam layers to allow for the change in relative plate thickness - .015" in 4mm, .022" in 7mm. Engine casings next so watch this space, probably some time next week.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've still got two Focus albums on vinyl! I ought to dig them out and have a listen!

I wonder whether Thijs van Leer ever jammed with Ian Anderson...

They are still touring.
Still superb, see them if you get the chance.
Regards,
Chris.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Just completed this Consett A class from one of our kits.

IMG_1322.JPG.f8fb61750a9fdc1cf1a86b21e19c003b.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG.5a48ae47694f8218367500034a9eee2c.JPG

Frames and wheels painted as usual, this is what is inside.

IMG_1072.jpg.b7a8da92d9dd494332142ebd3a96c050.jpg

High Level RoadRunner+ with a small Chinese motor - I only had a few of these black ones, they are about the best of this size I've seen. Since this one is 00 gauge I've used the slightly (0.5mm) extended wheelbase frames, there isn't much of a gap between the driving and trailing axles. The springs are a bit awkward in narrow gauge, they are fitted to the frames and have to be cranked out to clear the boiler - the last one of these I built was in P4 and didn't need any of these compromises.

Ready for the paintshop now, it will be NCB Ashington blue, then it's off to Barry Oliver for sound fitting. I did try to make this a bit easier by leaving the boiler empty, filling the tanks with lead before assembly provides enough weight.

Back to the 7mm Janus next week.

You can't go wrong with a pannier.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There were lots of variations in these locos, not least between different builders - Kitson, Hudswell Clarke and RSH - and over the years. The only good top views are of No5 (41), th epreserved example and this may not be typical. The one I have just built is not a model of a particular loco, it will be painted as Ashington No 57, so I may not be absolutely accurate.

IMG_1073.jpg.d1fa5b73788f69bdceb715fc1c1700d7.jpg

This is the top view, you were only just in time to get an unpainted photo, it's been sprayed with primer this morning.

The leading sanding rods come out of the cab front and run along the top of the tanks prominently cranked alongside the safety valves. 

Injector piping is done in copper, the steam feeds come out of the cab front, not attached to anything inside the cab - not much of this can be seen anyway. The water control rods run straight from the cab to the back of the injectors, boiler feed out of the other end to clack valves behind the dome. The overflow pipe comes out of the bottom of the tanks and staright down through the footplate, there are holes in the etch for this.

The injector body is made from turned brass with washers soldered on for flange fittings but it could be done with tube. The safety valve base isn't the moulded one from the kit, it's a modifed version of the one from our J63 kit with the etched double ended lever from the A class etch on top.

The firebox back is quite a long way back in the cab, I made an extension to the boiler from sheet brass to fill the gap. I have no idea how the bunkers (inside the cab) were filled (or emptied) so they are left solid but they must have had openings or doors in them somewhere. The handbrake column is bracketed from the LH bunker and runs down just outside the frames.

The photo shows how I modifed the tank tops to run straight across to the boiler cladding without turning up, as with 41 today. Some photos definitely show the tank top plate curving up to match the curve to the smokebox but 41 seems to have always been like this.

Any more top photos (of other locos) would be very welcome if anyone finds one.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3