Michael Edge's workbench

40 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I posted this earlier on Wright writes but it's worth putting here.

From Lidl this morning - £9.99

IMG_1815.jpg.d422d46b23cbbf8426226562e94f9737.jpg

They think it's a depth gauge but not to me...

Overall height of latest finished job being measured here.

IMG_1812.jpg.9bdd71d9d0ab2cc002169e4b993c3789.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg.a6ab2cc90a86ad1cc0094761f1759475.jpg

Another Stroudley D tank from the Albion kit, my customer says this is the last one, I'm getting a bit bored with these now.

IMG_1811.jpg.628b61d31340a045cf4a8e693f8c64ee.jpg

Inside it's powered by an n20 driving through a crown wheel and pinion. There's another gear reduction here but the loco isn't required to go very fast and these are much easier to set up than the 1:1 bevel gears. I'm struggling to find a reliable source of the crown wheels though, searching "crown wheels" just brings up every sort of gear, not very helpful.

Searching "crown pinion gear" on Aliexpress seems to bring up plenty of nylon ones.  The crown wheels seem to come with an additional pinion moulded on, but you could cut that off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

I'm struggling to find a reliable source of the crown wheels though, searching "crown wheels" just brings up every sort of gear, not very helpful.

From my slot car racing days, I remember that another name for them is contrate gear. Maybe that helps?

David

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

From my slot car racing days, I remember that another name for them is contrate gear. Maybe that helps?

David

That’s what I’ve always called them from Meccano days but it doesn’t help in searches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When looking for gears to copy what you guys do with the n20's I added the gear module to the search and after after a few efforts the algorithm seemed to realise what I was after. Prior to that I couldn't find anything on eBay but subsequent results showed the listings were there just not coming up.

It's been mentioned before but worth repeating - there is an N20 variant with a double-sided, transverse output; ie. a 3mm. axle.

It is quite easy to ream the output gear and the output shaft bearings and substitute an 1/8" axle; (Markits, Gibson, etc.).

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, I’ve got some of them but it adds a worm drive, reducing the efficiency of the gearbox.

Mike,

Is there a worm in those right-angle N20s? I thought that it would be bevel gears, or something similar.

I fitted one in a Deeley 0-4-0T that I bought S/H, which had a whiney Portescap. The result was a vast improvement; not only in noise reduction.

John Isherwood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great to meet you yesterday at Warley Mike and thank you so much for giving me some advice on soldering and kit building. Really appreciated the time you spent. You are a true master of yiur craft. Good luck with today!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 06/11/2022 at 07:01, Michael Edge said:

I'm getting a bit bored with these now.

I hate to further prompt the feeling of boredom Mike, but I've got x4 Albion kits (E5/E6's) and wondered if you possibly had any in progress/semi-finished/completed build photos of either? 

General advice around their construction would also be excellent, I'm not sure which option is best with regards the radial axle, for instance.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

I've not done a test track photo for a while, this was at the end of last week.

1795517441_testtrack25-11-22.jpg.02ab92e609a0c7bca9884e50e5479c0d.jpg

No recent progress with my Barry 0-8-2T, next 7mm job is the N2 behind it - this is from a Warren Shephard kit. Then what I hope will be the last LBSC D1 and Tony's C14 - fitted on temporary Romford wheels while I set the frames up, it has its own Gibsons on  now.

More photos of the D1, this one will be SR 2286 when Ian Rathbone has painted it.

IMG_1441.JPG.123e3b891452b9c14a44de4ac29e33c2.JPGIMG_1443.JPG.abf74e44ba7ac0ec9bba75e5c427c139.JPG

This is the Albion kit as usual with a few small alterations, the frames and wheels painted black as in the discussion on Wright writes. The cab roof needs fitting down securely once it is painted.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jack P said:

I hate to further prompt the feeling of boredom Mike, but I've got x4 Albion kits (E5/E6's) and wondered if you possibly had any in progress/semi-finished/completed build photos of either? 

General advice around their construction would also be excellent, I'm not sure which option is best with regards the radial axle, for instance.

Thanks in advance

It's only the D tanks I'm bored with (see above), the 0-6-2Ts are more interesting. I do have an Albion E6 to build for this customer next but the only other I can find is this E5x.

628719677_04-43LBSCE5xfl.JPG.1dd53694db66aa481b6a4ee136392aa5.JPG1923907190_04-43br.JPG.7c907b3f0250bf2689f7e0860065de03.JPG

My notes say this is Albion/modified but I can't remember exactly what now. The brass bits are from the Albion kit, the cab sides look like steel sheet and the boiler is a casting, I think the frames are Albion although the coupling rods aren't. There will be photos of this loco after painting in Ian Rathbone's gallery.

I'll put photos of the E6 on here when I get round to it

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've not done a test track photo for a while, this was at the end of last week.

1795517441_testtrack25-11-22.jpg.02ab92e609a0c7bca9884e50e5479c0d.jpg

.....and Tony's C14 - fitted on temporary Romford wheels while I set the frames up, it has its own Gibsons on  now.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Xmas!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

This one (3744) at least had steam heat, I can't imagine it was for passenger work so presumably it was fitted for banana van duty in the same way that some Mersey Docks locos were.

Quite likely given that it was working in Southampton Docks at the time (mostly Town Quay as far as I know). Possibly also for pre-heating boat train stock?

It did work at least one passenger train though, there's photos of it on a special at Bishop's Waltham.

Unusually the three survivors were all painted in lined black in BR days.

On 29/11/2022 at 23:27, Michael Edge said:

There will be photos of this loco after painting in Ian Rathbone's gallery

A thing of beauty it is too!

I had wondered about the possibility of an E5x conversion.. hmmm.

Thanks for the photos, If you have any tips that come to mind when you do the E5 i'd be a willing audience.

LBSC401w.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1