KR Models tease US Shay locomotive

Hilux5972

This is one loco design that always impresses me. I wonder if the model will have all the various cranks popping up and down which is so distinctive on the prototype? (I can imagine that will be really hard to do on a HO RTR model).

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann HO one offered parts for coal or oil firing in the undecorated black options but they did suffer from split gears randomly. It will be interesting to see what they use in the gear train. 

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I could be the one person who could justify a 4mm scale version. 

As they came in a variety of sizes, it might be spot on ;) 

Or you need the Father Ted perspective principle  . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Interesting that this version is oil fired.

Is that a preservation conversion?

Gordon A

Probably an oil fired original. The Theodosia arm is in British Columbia. From the 1920's on newer western woods locomotives were oil fired to keep forest fires  from starting from coal or wood sparks. California required all steam locomotives to be oil fired from 1905 on because of the fire problem plus oil was more readily available than coal.

Edited by autocoach
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
On 21/10/2019 at 09:28, JSpencer said:

This is one loco design that always impresses me. I wonder if the model will have all the various cranks popping up and down which is so distinctive on the prototype? (I can imagine that will be really hard to do on a HO RTR model).

yes it does and I believe the drive to the wheels is also via the shafts - see this video (the intro and then from about 13:10 onwards)

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 1

There was a wonderful book, 'The Shay Locomotive - Titan of the Timber' by Michael Koch which lists all 2,000+ Shays and provides a wealth of photographs and details, tracing their history from the earliest days. It is essential reading for anyone modelling these locomotives, as virtually no two were the same. There were even a couple made for Henry Ford who insisted that the boilers were not offset as they are on all other Shays, to balance the cylinders and drive system. Since the late 1960s there have been numerous ready-to-run Shay models in 'HO' scale Far East brass-built ranges and most of them are driven in exactly the same way as the KRM model. The only plastic 'HO' Shays I'm aware of are the Bachmann one (I have one but despite two repairs it is not operational) and the Roundhouse kit which I found unbuildable. So I look forward to KR making a good job of this. Interestingly, the steel cab and the oil bunker look much more accurate on the EP than on the original CAD. (CJL)

Edited by VIA185

On 23/12/2022 at 15:44, Michael Hodgson said:

Do we know whether any/all of these "liveries" are real/correct for this version, or is the shay completely generic?

There is a great website resource https://www.shaylocomotives.com/ which lists pretty much all built.  I have looked at them and I think they should have done better.  KR's model is stated to be 50-2. Arcata 6, Merrill and Ring 3 and SW Portland 12 were 50-2 locos. West Side 6 was a 55-2, Sugar Pine 10 was a 60-2 and CP 111 was a 91-3 making it pretty inaccurate!

There were plenty of 50-2 locos churned out by Lima so plenty for KR to choose from. I am very tempted by the undecorated version. Many years ago I remember seeing a brass Shay at a model shop and was captivated. I already knew about the type after reading Colin Garrets "Iron Dinosaurs' and discovering the Shays working on Island in the Philippines. Wonderful machines. 

I was interested in the KR shay .I have painted lots of assorted brass shays in the past for customers so I have always been fascinated by them .I did manage to buy a Roundhouse B  shay built with NWSL gears  for a song on ebay and after much fooling around got it running fine with the side gears whirring away  quietly and smoothly at low speed .Its a matter of getting every stage of the gearing and motor perfectly in sync and modifying the pickups .I like mine at last as it creeps down the track  so may not bother with KR which is a bit modern with a closed cab .Here is a quick shot it .Still needs some weathering and touch up .i also have some kadee log cars to go with it but no logging layout .IMG_2591.jpeg.97d88e8ffb85f1b70f4ad5763406af5f.jpeg

• Like 3

On 23/12/2022 at 15:44, Michael Hodgson said:

Do we know whether any/all of these "liveries" are real/correct for this version, or is the shay completely generic?

Merrill & Ring No. 3 shown in the prototype photograph is preserved in the Ottawa Museum of Science & Technology. I can't trace it in the builders list *but there are a couple of thousand entries to search. However, it is quite a bit different from the KRM model - the CAD is different again from the EP shown by Jenny Emily. Shay livery was almost invariably black with a small amount of white lining on cab and/or bunker and the name or initials of the owning company. Logging companies bought and sold Shays according to need and as a result many of the locos had several owners/locations during their working career. Companies also changed hands and changed names, some of them several times. Unless one knows exactly which c/n is being modelled it is impossible to say which owners/liveries would be authentic. I suspect most model Shays 'work for' fictitious logging operations. (CJL)

Edit * Apparently NOT the one preserved at Ottawa. (The research for these can be even more complicated than that for certain British locomotives.) c/n 3243 Built 13/12/1923 Operated for Merrill at Squamish. Moved to Comox logging 1942 on Vancouver Island and scrapped 1954.

Edited by VIA185
to add information

• 1 year later...

Looking at the video, it doesn't look as it would be too difficult to regauge to HOn3. The main issue is how big the thing is.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1