Grounded Vans

• 2 weeks later...

These two can be found at Southwold Harbour. I know one is actually coach, but I still think it's worth posting.

Interesting to note that the closest the standard gauge network got to this location is Halesworth, which is about 8 miles away as the crow flies.

post-8098-0-29784900-1377636269_thumb.jpg 

Not sure of the origins of this one, but since we are in firm GER/LNER territory, I would hazard a guess at it being from one of these. I assume is has been shortened too.

post-8098-0-80106200-1377636279_thumb.jpg

No idea, but again, possibly of LNER or BR origin?

• Like 4

These two can be found at Southwold Harbour. I know one is actually coach, but I still think it's worth posting.

Interesting to note that the closest the standard gauge network got to this location is Halesworth, which is about 8 miles away as the crow flies.

attachicon.gifDSCN0799.JPG

Not sure of the origins of this one, but since we are in firm GER/LNER territory, I would hazard a guess at it being from one of these. I assume is has been shortened too.

attachicon.gifDSCN0800.JPG

I'd go for BR for the van- the LNER preferred sliding doors. Did you see if the ends were corrugated, or planked? If the latter, then it would be ex-GWR

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSCN0799.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0800.JPG

The coach is two compartments of a GER coach, identity unknown. The van is ex British Railways B756468.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have not been through the whole thread - so sorry if I am repeating any past posting.

When we lived at Newbury (2006 - 2010), there was a garage business a couple of miles north, close to the route of the DN&S, which had a GWR Siphon C (I think - not my subject) in its grounds. It was on a bit of a mound of ground which led me to wonder if it might even have the running gear buried below.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spotted this one today, beside the A469, just south of the Heads Of The Valleys Road at Bute Town.

post-494-0-51441800-1383854288.jpg

There was also an ex-GW van on the opposite side of the road, next to the first roundabout south toward New Tredegar but by the time I saw it I'd passed and couldn't be bothered going back.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

post-149-0-90760800-1386319072.jpg

Cheating I know.

It is still on rails and is also a foreigner.

I did have a smile when I saw the graffiti.

Thon le Bains last August.

Back OT.

There are several black painted van bodies at the south end of Sandy station on the east side of the ECML.

Not easy to get a photo unless you are on the platform.

Bernard

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Such a depressing thread, especially the pre-grouping coaching stock. These vehicles are almost all unique, and so incredibly full of character.

I obviously understand that it's far more economic for preserved railways to run Mk1 stock, but surely the travelling public appreciate the chance to ride in something genuinely atmospheric "railway children" style. It's a sickening shame that railways are letting these relics crumble away (both ones they own and ones they aren't retrieving) while boring us rigid with melamine faced Mk1s.

Should really put my money (or time) where my mouth is, rather than rant, I guess!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the price is rather optimistic. I also suspect it may not survive being lifted on to the lorry to take it away!

I have to agree with you there.

It would probably be a case of rescuing the metal work and rebuilding it with new wood work.