Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Forgive my ignorance. 
concrete bob.........Accurathrash DCC Sound, loksound refurbished decoder or original ??

i need to pre-order one. 

apologies for my lack of knowledge. I blame brain fog. 

Its refurbished based on the release. Remember, no cold start on the refurb - wheel slip only. On the original, no wheel slip but there is cold start.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Isn’t it that the original is just for 37/0s … all 309 of them! 

IIRC all the refurbs … 37/4 and above… had alternators and therefore a different start up sound . That’s the minimum extent of my knowledge, suspect there is more! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/04/2023 at 18:04, McC said:

Fran is on a plane to Dortmund right now :) , but that aside, the manual shows either Cold Start or Wheel Slip on startup on F8, which is a latching toggle. The Locos with the refurbished file have the cold start, the others, the slip. Hope that helps!

37 minutes ago, Awes0mesauce said:

Its refurbished based on the release. Remember, no cold start on the refurb - wheel slip only. On the original, no wheel slip but there is cold start.

Ok, who's right? 😄 I hope McC cos I've ordered a refurb...

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ok, who's right? 😄 I hope McC cos I've ordered a refurb...

As hard to believe as it is, unfortunately, I am.

@McC was clearly having an off day.

None of the current releases have cold start (the 3 so far)

all of which are refurbs.

Edited by Awes0mesauce
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2023 at 17:01, Andy7 said:

Only on an accurascale thread would the some of the above guff be tolerated.

The boys produce the best sounding off the shelf loco ever and still people moan about details. Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

My thoughts entirely.   All this week I have been visiting this thread several times per day hoping for clues as to when I might receive my analogue 37423 Spirit of the Lakes.   Every day I have waded through comments on sound function and references to different types of decoders/speakers which I as a luddite can never comprehend.   Just as another week seemed about to end with no news, the retailer phoned me after 5 o'clock this evening to confirm he had just received my loco and requested me to pay the balance.   I am promised it will be posted on Monday so hopefully next week I will at last have the opportunity to compare the new Accurascale model with my older Lima and Bachmann 37s.  

Edited by cessna152towser
grammar
  • Like 4

Morning everyone, yesterday I received my first 2 37 pre-orders from Rails Of Sheffield (thanking them for a speedy delivery) & a bonus 37423 which my friend has purchased for me as an early birthday present, so I'm now in a position to give a little review & my personal thoughts on the models.

Where to begin.... Stunning! they are all absolutely stunning! the livery application on all 3 is incredible, no loose anything's at all floating around in the boxes, all the bufferbeam parts & the etched plates all present & correct along with the switch diagrams sheet, DCC function sheet & the extremely nice history booklet made for lovely reading & it's presentation was excellent (especially liked the mug stains on the rear & the rusted staple effect).

As stated I have now got all 3 of the first batch, 37419 being analogue, 423 being analogue & 425 being DCC sound. I'll kick off with my sound review first. On opening the box & releasing the loco from its plastic holding cell I was blown away with the sheer weight of the beast! it's pretty hench & hauling realistic rakes of whatever you choose is not going to present any problems at all. On popping the loco onto a small length of test track it was satisfying indeed to have a little play with the lighting functions before kicking the engine into life. On the subject of light functions first, I found a slight typo on the function sheet which states that F17 should be the Spirax Valves, I found F17 turned off the tail lights (the tail light function showing as F18 on the sheet) so maybe something to correct on later sheets. I also could not get any sign of Spirax ticking with F18 active, the loco by default on shutdown does play a short Spirax sound but this only lasts for maybe 5-8 seconds. I was already aware thanks to several posters on here & YouTube, that the 37/4's don't have a cold start function despite it being listed as F8 on the function sheet, so maybe for future re-furbished examples a small note on the function sheet in brackets which states the cold start isn't available on refurbed locos could perhaps be beneficial (not a criticism by any means but more of a suggestion) to keep all parties happy. F8 on the 37/4's as many know, activates the wheelslip function which absolutely blew me away! there is no doubt in my mind that this is THE best 37 sound chip I've ever heard! nice & meaty, good volume & so many different features to have a play with & my Bachmann Dynamis only allows for 20 functions & I'm still mesmerised! 

Now onto the analogue locos, I followed the instructions on the light sheet & have left switches 5 & 6 on & deactivated all the rest, I couldn't work out what the other switches on the blanking plate itself were actually for so if anyone knows please let me know. I love the ease of access to the DCC section on these with just a simple magnetic roof section in the way. One thing I did notice on the analogue examples was that unlike the 92 the 37's do not come with an Accurathrash speaker ready in place for those who wish to upgrade in the future so if any of the tech team at A/S could please advise on how easy it will be to fit both speaker & chip I'd be very grateful indeed, Mainly because after having played with 425's sound I cannot see any way I'm going to be able to resist upgrading the other two with sound in the very near future... It's just that good!

So in conclusion, These models are incredible! to anyone in any doubt as to how good they really are you have no reason to be. Everything, absolutely everything is top notch! as I've said there are certainly a couple of changes that could be made but these are purely to the documentation that comes in the box. The locos themselves are just incredible & 37423 being the first RTR model to be fitted with Wi-Pac lights so beautifully is truly a triumph that A/S should be incredibly proud of. I have not purchased any of the new Barwell examples as I knew these were coming soon & I'm so glad I didn't, because aside from a working fan which I've never seen as a neccesity anyway & the posher looking glazing on the deluxe examples, the sound doesn't even come close to matching the A/S example & for a whirly bit & some posh looking windows & a much higher price tag.... I'll stay firmly with A/S thanks. 

Well done to all at A/S who have brought this loco to life in 00 gauge, you have once again created gold! & for that I am a truly happy customer.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

@Accurascale Fran

@Accurascale

I just took a look at the 37 DCC Sound decoders and think I noticed a typo...

The 'Description' half way down the Refurbished decoder says 'with 'Original' Engine Configuration'.

I presume this should read 'with 'Refurbished' Engine Configuration'?

NOTE - The top title and 'Specification' entries refer to 'Refurbished' as expected.

Hope that helps?!

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion

22 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Isn’t it that the original is just for 37/0s … all 309 of them! 

IIRC all the refurbs … 37/4 and above… had alternators and therefore a different start up sound . That’s the minimum extent of my knowledge, suspect there is more! 

Spot on Phil

The as built locos had  DC generators which acted as giant starter motors to turn the 12 CSVT engines over

The refurbs received Brush or GEC traction alternators so needed "conventional" starter motors to start the engines  

Big difference in sounds

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

My thoughts entirely.   All this week I have been visiting this thread several times per day hoping for clues as to when I might receive my analogue 37423 Spirit of the Lakes.   Every day I have waded through comments on sound function and references to different types of decoders/speakers which I as a luddite can never comprehend.   Just as another week seemed about to end with no news, the retailer phoned me after 5 o'clock this evening to confirm he had just received my loco and requested me to pay the balance.   I am promised it will be posted on Monday so hopefully next week I will at last have the opportunity to compare the new Accurascale model with my older Lima and Bachmann 37s.  

*Spoiler alert*

Having just seen your post, quite frankly it knocks spots off anything that has gone before.  

For example, hyperthetically...... if you happened to be a competor who had just done a completely new tool, you wasted your money.  If you were a competor and you thought you will bring out a new one to spite the competition, and knacker their sales, then clearly the joke would be on you.  You would have just demonstrated that on a like for like product you cannot complete at this level.  The stakes of the game were high and you scored home goals! 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whilst I am patiently waiting for my 37051 from the second lot, can anyone point me to a list of function numbers vs sounds/lights or a manual so that I can set up my Z21 app in advance of it arriving? 🤗

kind Regards 

Matt

Edited by se97mlm

Having finally touched, what must be the 'crown jewels' of model railway products, all I can say is 'Simply Outstanding!' 

Its got to be, beyond question the finest model railway locomotive available RTR.  To your credit Accurascale have been in it for the long haul, not compromised (even in spite of looming competition - you have certainly repaid your customers patience and loyalty many times over on this one), and the fruits have your labour have truly blossomed. 

The problem is beating it for the Class 50!   There's a need for a Class 47 to this standard as well....All the rest are well..... Duffs! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, se97mlm said:

Whilst I am patiently waiting for my 37052 from the second lot, can anyone point me to a list of function numbers vs sounds/lights or a manual so that I can set up my Z21 app in advance of it arriving? 🤗

kind Regards 

Matt

If you tap into the support (bottom right icon) on our website and click on Other / Product Guides / Class 37 you can download from there. Hope that helps!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hey all, just a quick note on the lack of cold start on the DCC sound fitted models, I felt compelled and dropped Accurascale an email to say how fab the loco is, but that I’m sad about the absent cold start sounds. I’ve had this promising reply from Stephen at Accurascale:

Hi George

At the time of making the sound project we didn’t have a cold start recorded on a refurb so those projects have a wheel slip instead. However we are recording a cold start 37 hopefully in the coming few days and if that works out well offer a free reblow service to add the option.

So potentially some great news and excellent service from AS! My first foray into DCC sound so I’m very happy to have done so with them 👍

Edited by GWL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, se97mlm said:

Whilst I am patiently waiting for my 37052 from the second lot, can anyone point me to a list of function numbers vs sounds/lights or a manual so that I can set up my Z21 app in advance of it arriving? 🤗

kind Regards 

Matt

IMG_9655.png.a37cf932aa3b48385c882e980b949cba.pngIMG_9656.png.d9b1856fa0120149249bc35a4557a42f.pngIMG_9657.png.5645883a213cd6aa780593ca11892b43.png

Switch F8 for “Cold start” as yours is an original.

Edited by Awes0mesauce
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GWL said:

Hey all, just a quick note on the lack of cold start on the DCC sound fitted models, I felt compelled and dropped Accurascale an email to say how fab the loco is, but that I’m sad about the absent cold start sounds. I’ve had this promising reply from Stephen at Accurascale:

Hi George

At the time of making the sound project we didn’t have a cold start recorded on a refurb so those projects have a wheel slip instead. However we are recording a cold start 37 hopefully in the coming few days and if that works out well offer a free reblow service to add the option.

So potentially some great news and excellent service from AS! My first foray into DCC sound so I’m very happy to have done so with them 👍

That’s excellent news. I haven’t had a chance to play with my DCC sound 425 yet, but I’ve been feeling that a lack of cold start is a bad omission. Hopefully the new sound recording can make it on to the batch 2 models as I’ve got the yellow peril and the Europhoenix on order, both sound fitted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, McC said:

If you tap into the support (bottom right icon) on our website and click on Other / Product Guides / Class 37 you can download from there. Hope that helps!

Unfortunately I'm getting no response from the Support button on either Chrome/Safari (Ipad) or Firefox (PC)

I presume this is the button that you mean...

image.png.d73e7c95ba8b83023e8e86055314c741.png

image.png

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Unfortunately I'm getting no response from the Support button on either Chrome/Safari (Ipad) or Firefox (PC)

image.png

On mobile just tap the speech bubble icon bottom right. 

CCCD22E5-7CA4-41E2-AA3D-BA1C16C96C11.png

46A149C2-DD43-49CE-B891-DC7454C6CFA5.png

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 97406 said:

image.png

I've fixed up that non working link now too - thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 2