Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

My money box is enquiring about when we might expect to see an RSH built version as originally delivered to the WR?

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

Ah all in good time (sends link of your comment to Gareth)

Cheers!

Fran 

He's not the only one, Fran!

I've got a set of your P4 wheels here, getting itchy flanges!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

OIP.jpg

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And you two are not alone …. Got a couple of VF WR ones on order but most WR boiler fitted locos were RSH jobbies … 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Martin37 said:

Not really. I am in exactly that position. Bought a sound fitted D6703, mostly for sentimental reasons (those that know me will know why!) having not bought a model "train" for over 30 years! But with a nod to one day having a means with which to exercise it both physically and aurally. The worry bead has now been sown, unfortunately, that when this day comes, very much out of warranty, that I could be sorely disappointed.

Hopefully not. But that possibility cannot be denied, can it?

So. If there is anyone reading this in a half hour radius of Honiton, or even Coventry (a different story!) that would be willing to give my Girl a workout, I'd really appreciate the chance to put these worries to bed.

Martin.

Nip over to Buffers at Axminster - they've got lots of second-hand good condition track for sale - get an oval and small controller and have some table top fun 👌

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

Ah all in good time (sends link of your comment to Gareth)

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran - I did mention it to him a while back so I know that he had it in mind but he's busy chap.  (I'm not sure if he still needs a couple of drawings he was after so you might ask him, please, when getting in touch.  Nothing to do with the EE Type 3 but another project he's working on)

20 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And you two are not alone …. Got a couple of VF WR ones on order but most WR boiler fitted locos were RSH jobbies … 

And also had the Central Wales line Lucas spotlight on light bar (D687x - D688x). I’ve also got two VF versions on order and am hopeful/confident Acc will have implemented any motor updates before I get mine!! No sound for me so no worry there!! 

Im v surprised, given the volume of 37s released by both Acc and Bach that so far, only 3 WR variants have been issued so far!! 

• Like 2

I decided to take some video footage comparing three of the sound and speaker combinations I have in Accurascale class 37s. Personally, I would rate the Jamie Goodman one as my favourite, but the others are good. All have their own different features and characteristics.

I edited out the bit where I didn't have 37 608 on the track properly so it derailed as soon as it hit the points.

I posted this link in my own layout thread as well, and will post it in the DCC sound video topic I started years ago, if I can find it again.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

hello all, 

I damaged the body of the 37027. I contacted Accurascale SAV. NO spare parts available even other body of 37/0… funny manufacturer... very disappointed. why provide a sheet with spare parts in each box when there is not a single one available…

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Module00 said:

hello all, 

I damaged the body of the 37027. I contacted Accurascale SAV. NO spare parts available even other body of 37/0… funny manufacturer... very disappointed. why provide a sheet with spare parts in each box when there is not a single one available…

Maybe they have ran out, did you ask if they could get one in?  Maybe Accurascale just used an image from the manufacturing process, for the parts list thinking people wouldn’t damage the body of a £200+ model because they’d be carful.
Keeping small parts in little boxes is one thing, complete bodies is another and would soon start to take up a of space. Considering the numbers they might have to keep. 

They do  like to keep the customer happy so maybe in the future ask again but don’t bet on it has I’d rather think setting up the production line for just a few of one livery would make the cost more than it’s worth for them. In the meantime watch eBay. 

now sometimes (lesson learned through life) it’s what you ask. Done it with Bachmann and other shops/producers mainly bikes but other shops too. . And goes something like this. ‘ have you got a spare xxx and the customer service goes and looks in a box comes back and says no’ have you a second hand pre used one and quite often a different answer is given. You ask for a second hand one and are saying you’re happy to receive a none perfect one for your money. Don’t know if there’s a law or something saying they can’t offer it straight off but it can work. 

I got a two car DMU body for half the price of a new spare. Worth ago? 

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

I have been running my Loch Lomond 37 without any issues since August. However, last night sound started breaking up as I was running it slowly on the track. 

Now, after that the first time I went to use F1 the sound blipped for a second. The volume was never set very high when it was working but now to even get it to perform the startup at all the volume needs to be less than 50. This is too low and clearly an issue as developed I am guessing with the decoder based on what else I've seen/read/heard.

Anyone else had a fault like this develop out of nowhere. Little disappointed as its been running perfect.  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

no, they didn't have any parts, not just the body. the after-sales service offered to give me advice on repainting the body... sorry but it looked really amateurish... if I compare to Bachmann, there is no match… ☹️

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Module00 said:

no, they didn't have any parts, not just the body. the after-sales service offered to give me advice on repainting the body... sorry but it looked really amateurish... if I compare to Bachmann, there is no match… ☹️

We actually have extensive parts of everything that usually needs replacing but as almost every loco has a unique body config it’s not a case of one size fits all. If you’ve smashed a body we could maybe try repair for you but it’s simply not viable to hold painted body shells just in case someone has an accident down the line. I’m sure the support team can provide options and proposals for you. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Moley48 said:

I have been running my Loch Lomond 37 without any issues since August. However, last night sound started breaking up as I was running it slowly on the track. 

Now, after that the first time I went to use F1 the sound blipped for a second. The volume was never set very high when it was working but now to even get it to perform the startup at all the volume needs to be less than 50. This is too low and clearly an issue as developed I am guessing with the decoder based on what else I've seen/read/heard.

Anyone else had a fault like this develop out of nowhere. Little disappointed as its been running perfect.  

If it still runs the motor and lights normally I'd lean towards the amplifier on the decoder being the issue. Contact Accurascale and they should see you right (probably send a replacement decoder, I'd suggest you consider removing the sugarcube speaker if they do).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Kaput said:

If it still runs the motor and lights normally I'd lean towards the amplifier on the decoder being the issue. Contact Accurascale and they should see you right (probably send a replacement decoder, I'd suggest you consider removing the sugarcube speaker if they do).

We’d recommend a decoder reset and if no change get onto support and we can arrange a decoder replacement or a full in house service if you prefer. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is there any official documentation (or community consensus) on what the function of each DIP switch on the PCB actually is yet?

I have a 37001, which does all the "basic" functions fine, but nothing from AUX5 onward does anything. I was expecting "Cab Front", "Cab Back" and "Engine Room" to be connected to pins somewhere.

The model was bought DCC ready, has been set to the "Non-ESU" switch pattern, and fitted with a 10 function Zimo MN340C (which has logic level outputs like an ESU decoder).

I'm wondering if some or all of the switches should be in the ESU position to get these three functions working, but I've not yet come across any documentation which says what the switches *actually do*, beyond the surface level "this pattern for ESU, that pattern for DC, and a third pattern for other DCC decoders".

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Is there any official documentation (or community consensus) on what the function of each DIP switch on the PCB actually is yet?

I have a 37001, which does all the "basic" functions fine, but nothing from AUX5 onward does anything. I was expecting "Cab Front", "Cab Back" and "Engine Room" to be connected to pins somewhere.

The model was bought DCC ready, has been set to the "Non-ESU" switch pattern, and fitted with a 10 function Zimo MN340C (which has logic level outputs like an ESU decoder).

I'm wondering if some or all of the switches should be in the ESU position to get these three functions working, but I've not yet come across any documentation which says what the switches *actually do*, beyond the surface level "this pattern for ESU, that pattern for DC, and a third pattern for other DCC decoders".

There are onboard integrated circuits which are used to communicate with the LokSound / Pilot chip to achieve the extent of functionality needed - the AUX's are listed on the sound function sheet included with the loco (or on our website) or hop into live chat or drop us an email and we can provide better advice.

1 hour ago, McC said:

There are onboard integrated circuits which are used to communicate with the LokSound / Pilot chip to achieve the extent of functionality needed - the AUX's are listed on the sound function sheet included with the loco (or on our website) or hop into live chat or drop us an email and we can provide better advice.

This is the card included with my 37:
image.png.be6c66278deb0eb33352d2072451125f.png

This is the ESU decoder documentation for a LokPilot 5:
image.png.e259b7ac63eaa4662589029e5c2a35c1.png

Front and rear lights, plus AUX1, AUX2, AUX3 and AUX4 all work as documented. There is no response in the loco to any pins from AUX5 upwards.

You will note that AUX 8, which is listed as "Night Rear", is not on the 21 pin connector. ESU skipped 8 and 9 for some reason. It is only available as a full power connector on a pad on the other end of the decoder. I can't see how this would attach to the locomotive -- I believe the only spare socket in the model is for a large speaker (not fitted to my example as it was a "DCC Ready" model).
AUX 9 is only available as a logic level pad on the other end of the decoder. Ditto.

Driving AUX10 as a logic level output (which I can do with the MN340C) does *not* illuminate the rear cab light.
There's no reference to AUX13 or AUX14 at all in the ESU documentation.

When you say "There are onboard integrated circuits which are used to communicate with the LokSound / Pilot chip to achieve the extent of functionality needed", what do you mean exactly?

This loco (37001) has no response to anything above AUX5, yet there are three documented functions I can't get at with a 10 function decoder, despite having 6 unused output pins available on the decoder.

I appreciate this specific prototype does not have some of the features the PCB has been designed to do (e.g. top cab light) and that the PCB has been designed for all models universally, but I'm not sure if the advertised feature of cab and engine room lighting just isn't ever going to work, or whether I have a faulty loco, or what.

Oh, and I first sent Accurascale Support an email about this towards the end of November. No better advice yet. I'm also slightly concerned that someone I spoke to couldn't understand me until I sent a screenshot of my email to him -- your support system seems to be breaking email formatting in some circumstances.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2024 at 15:22, NHY 581 said:

I'm currently tinkering with 37001. It's fitted with an ESU decoder ( non-sound) supplied by Accurascale and all the slide switches are as per specification for when loco is fitted with ESU decoder. 

I cannot get the lights to work, markerlights, headcodes, cab lights etc. 

Decoder seems okay. 

Swapping to a Dapol Imperium decoder and marker lights and headcodes will both illuminate in the direction of travel but no marker lights are showing to the rear. 

Anyone had these or similar issues ? 

I've trawled through but see nothing matching this on the thread. 

Rob

Just bumping this as still have not resolved the lighting issues. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have received excellent customer service from Simon concerning a lighting problem on my 37026.  The problem that I had has been fully resolved.  I cannot fault him and the team at Accurascale for their fast response and for sorting things out for me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

I have received excellent customer service from Simon concerning a lighting problem on my 37026.  The problem that I had has been fully resolved.  I cannot fault him and the team at Accurascale for their fast response and for sorting things out for me.

I've just had a reply from Simon too -- he's told me the switches are for switching between logic level outputs (when in the "ESU" pattern) and full power outputs (when in the "Non-ESU" pattern).

That would imply that using the switches in ESU mode with a logic-level output decoder like my Zimo MN340C would work.

However ... that's not the case. The current logic level outputs (FO3/AUX3 and FO4/AUX4) successfully drive the dashboard lights on the 37, with the switches in "Non-ESU" mode.

And if I set the full "ESU pattern" on the switches, I get no lights at all. Not even the basic four which are full power on all decoders -- the headcode panel lights on F0f and F0r, and the tail lights on AUX1 and AUX2. Those are full power even on ESU decoders.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

I've just had a reply from Simon too -- he's told me the switches are for switching between logic level outputs (when in the "ESU" pattern) and full power outputs (when in the "Non-ESU" pattern).

That would imply that using the switches in ESU mode with a logic-level output decoder like my Zimo MN340C would work.

However ... that's not the case. The current logic level outputs (FO3/AUX3 and FO4/AUX4) successfully drive the dashboard lights on the 37, with the switches in "Non-ESU" mode.

And if I set the full "ESU pattern" on the switches, I get no lights at all. Not even the basic four which are full power on all decoders -- the headcode panel lights on F0f and F0r, and the tail lights on AUX1 and AUX2. Those are full power even on ESU decoders.

Same with the Hornby HM7000 chip. I get markers, tails and gauge lights on 37409 in the "Non-ESU" config. I don't really understand it but I'm assuming that regardless of dip-switch config, I won't be able to access the headlight. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

When you say "There are onboard integrated circuits which are used to communicate with the LokSound / Pilot chip to achieve the extent of functionality needed", what do you mean exactly?

I have a vague memory of Accurascale mentioning ESU helped them design the PCB to get more functions than is normally available. I have no idea how they managed that and based on my knowledge of decoders it seems a bit defying physics.

As an example, the ESU manual says AUX9 needs to be set to Power Pack Control for a stayalive but the Accurascale 37 has AUX9 as a working light while still having a working stayalive. I have no clue how that works.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I have a vague memory of Accurascale mentioning ESU helped them design the PCB to get more functions than is normally available. I have no idea how they managed that and based on my knowledge of decoders it seems a bit defying physics.

As an example, the ESU manual says AUX9 needs to be set to Power Pack Control for a stayalive but the Accurascale 37 has AUX9 as a working light while still having a working stayalive. I have no clue how that works.

I'd love to know how they've done it in this case. Accurascale's 92 has a function to indicate which way the loco is headed, and other functions will swap ends on this function.

However, the 37 isn't done like this. I don't know what they have done for this, or how to make it work from scratch.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

I'd love to know how they've done it in this case. Accurascale's 92 has a function to indicate which way the loco is headed, and other functions will swap ends on this function.

However, the 37 isn't done like this. I don't know what they have done for this, or how to make it work from scratch.

I guess that the numbers Accurascale require and the fact that they have got ESU doing a custom settup specifically for their models they can have them done and coded or pogrammed to there own needs,since they do them to sell direct i dont know why people dont buy their own items?, would you buy a Ford new and try fit a Skoda ecu to it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3