Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Just so you know, I'll be waiting for your 37/4, and not going with Bachmann's.

Hi Ian,

We better get cracking with it so, it seams (sorry, seems) like it might be a good idea. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

Even if it was as good as the Accurascale 37 (which I don’t think it will be) have you seen the price?! The basic version costs nearly the same as DCC sound from Accurascale. The sound fitted prices just go up from there. I’ve ordered four Accurascale 37 already and will order more from batch two

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

Even if it was as good as the Accurascale 37 (which I don’t think it will be) have you seen the price?! The basic version costs nearly the same as DCC sound from Accurascale. The sound fitted prices just go up from there. I’ve ordered four Accurascale 37 already and will order more from batch two

You're forgetting that Bachmann stuff doesn't tend to sell at RRP (15% off immediately most of the time) making the non CC ones £208 not £245. Sound ones are also sub £300. If you also consider that the price of AS's first batch is very quickly becoming irrelevant* then actually it's what AS charge for batch 2 that's the interesting comparison.

For me, assuming the prices aren't world's apart the offering will be what dictates what I buy. I won't be cancelling any AS ones, and the two Bachmann ones announced aren't for me anyway so let's see what next week brings. Although after 5 AS ones and the 6 Bachmann ones I already have I aren't sure what space there will be!

*Irrelevant as they are more or less sold out at retailers IIRC and are completely sold out at AS other than 403 which was only announced the other week, and so those of us with locos on order can enjoy the price, those who haven't ordered them don't have long to make their minds up.

I don't want any of the AS ones I haven't already ordered which also makes the price difference irrelevant to me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, what's with Bachmann doing separately fitted nose top doors? That seems to be a weird and unnecessary choice. I can't see any advantage to it for representing the doors as per prototype, and it adds complexity and therefore cost to their model. Any choice in the design of any given part of a model really ought to be looking at the best way to have fidelity to prototype. Is there any advantage to doing the nose top doors like that...?

Edited by Ian J.
Speeling

• RMweb Premium

Well Bachmann pushing boat out . If I were Accurascale I’d announce the next batch now so that people know what’s coming and consider before committing to Bachmann . I’ve said before I’m waiting for a 80s Scottish 37/4  and I’ll certainly hold off for Accurascale if I knew it were coming , beyond the occasional hint .

The Bachmann one will be good . They are certainly pushing design but they /Kader are also good are at pushing the price as far as it can go . I’d be much happier spending my money with a company that’s trying to keep prices in check . Come on give me the opportunity to spend more money with you . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

See Bachmann have gone for the scottish ones as perhaps a safe option? No sign of any /6s which where big sellers for accurascale. 

Be intresting to see who jumps at the scottish /3s first or go even more out there with a /9!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

See Bachmann have gone for the scottish ones as perhaps a safe option? No sign of any /6s which where big sellers for accurascale. 

Be intresting to see who jumps at the scottish /3s first or go even more out there with a /9!

Still only the Borg have managed to get 7 of 9 spot on though.......

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

Am I in a minority? I want some Stratford ones.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Ian,

We better get cracking with it so, it seams (sorry, seems) like it might be a good idea. 

Cheers!

Fran

I noticed that, too. Also, given that I had to wait until a basic new Bachmann 47 was available for just under £200 on Ebay after it came out, I don’t think you guys have much to worry about.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Maybe it's just me, but I will end up with both the new Bachmann and Accurascale model. There's enough space in the market for more than one high end 37. To be honest the price difference isn't wide enough to knock the Bachmann out of contention for me. What might swing it is that as well as being cheaper Accurascale showed with the Deltic that the whole experience from picking the box up is special. The attention to detail and premium feel of everything does add a sense of satisfaction. That would make a difference for me if prices were tied but it is a big bonus when Accurascale is cheaper.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I’m going to stay with Accurascale as I think they win just about hands down.  From communication and approachability at shows, openness regarding delays and their customer service is second to none.  Also it’s the little things that make Accurascale hard to beat (well, in my eyes) such as the removable roof panel to access the PCB board.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if for batch 2 the accurascale chaps might be tempted to add a working fan! Since then they are competing with the SFX version with the exception of the glazing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, E100 said:

I do wonder if for batch 2 the accurascale chaps might be tempted to add a working fan! Since then they are competing with the SFX version with the exception of the glazing.

the class 31 already has servo activated fan and stay alive as standard in all models. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

All things being equal , I think I’d give the new boys a run when they produce 37s I want or close enough I can renumber - as long as the running is good and everything doesn’t fall off in transit.

They seem to have the detailing nailed and the price point .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Accurascale ones fill a number of specific gaps for me in terms of type (37/6) and livery so am very much looking forward to those arriving.

Whilst the new Bachman versions are significantly more expensive, I would not rule out getting one of those too but only if it were one I “need” to fill another gap.

So looking forward to their August announcements but based on the pre-production samples yesterday it looks like the BR green, BR blue/Scottish and GSYP are likely to be well catered for.

My real disappointment with the previous Bachmann 37s has been the continued deterioration in quality/volume of the speakers in the factory sound fitted versions. The oldest one I have, 37425, is still the best for volume and clarity, newer 37884 is not quite as good and 37800 was even less so.

My others have now had upgraded speakers fitted.

Hopefully the new twin speaker set up in the new Bachmann versions will be much better, and the type specific sound profiles and improved lighting are nice to have.

It will be interesting for us all to be able to compare the Accurascale and all new Bachmann 37s directly against each other.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have already I believe 5 Accurascale 37 on order. However if you wish to make a hands on critical assessment of the competition,I suggest you nip over to DEMU at Sutton Coldfield before 16:00 close of play today. Or have some of you already been ? I bought the two new releases …both sound….yesterday and they are currently sitting on my tabletop having been played with on & off since 5:00pm yesterday . Have to say I am a lot poorer but well happy with quality and performance   Even folks on DC Analogue…my choice for now. 

As is posted above,there is plenty of room still in the market for both editions .Ponder awhile.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Pteremy said:

Speaking as someone who does not need any 37s (but would buy a mid 60s south wales one) the best thing about this is that Bachmann have responded to the competition by raising the bar themselves not by having a hissy tantrum. 

Very true, and also not by rushing a half-baked model to market. 

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

As is posted above,there is plenty of room still in the market for both editions .Ponder awhile.

Yeah, I don't really understand people stating their allegiances before one of the options arrives on the market to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah, I don't really understand people stating their allegiances before one of the options arrives on the market to be honest.

With all forthcoming models we don't know how good they will be until they arrive.  The CAD, lined sample et al are very hepful in getting an idea of the level of detail and accuracy, but they give no indication of performance - haulage power, speeds etc. 

The trend to pre-ordering anything (and inability to get it if we wait for delivery) means we have to take a lot on trust.  For instance I don't think we knew in advance that a certain gas turbine loco couldn't cope with 2nd radius curves.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I will end up with both the new Bachmann and Accurascale model. There's enough space in the market for more than one high end 37. To be honest the price difference isn't wide enough to knock the Bachmann out of contention for me. What might swing it is that as well as being cheaper Accurascale showed with the Deltic that the whole experience from picking the box up is special. The attention to detail and premium feel of everything does add a sense of satisfaction. That would make a difference for me if prices were tied but it is a big bonus when Accurascale is cheaper.

Personally I don't notice the box when the model is on the layout ;)

I do notice them when storing the things as the larger the box the more the boss thinks I own :)

I agree both Bachmann and Accurascale look good. At the moment Bachmann is more in my era and location and available now so is rather tempting!

• Agree 3