New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

The same style coupling bar which has been used on pretty much every Hornby model for at least ten years? I don't think there are any issues with it, I think people would have heard of them by now!

Then if you haven’t already done so take a look at the 9F coupling bar which cannot be shortened to the close up position due to the design of this particular model . The gap is far too wide as a result. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Then if you haven’t already done so take a look at the 9F coupling bar which cannot be shortened to the close up position due to the design of this particular model. 

Yes, it can. As mentioned on the 9F thread by me, to you, you can shorten it by removing it at both ends and spinning the bar 180 degrees. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Yes, it can. As mentioned on the 9F thread by me, to you, you can shorten it by removing it at both ends and spinning the bar 180 degrees. 

And indeed I have attempted that and it doesn’t work . Have you tried it with any success ? You might care to look back a page on this thread and read that West Hill Wagon Works have produced a replacement coupling bar for the 9F and that the next iteration will be fitted with the new style clip in bar .I did raise this matter with Hornby….as I posted a while ago here…..and they are aware of the problem.A replacement part was promised but hasn’t materialised to date. Hence West Hill seem to have stepped up to the plate. 

2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

And indeed I have attempted that and it doesn’t work . Have you tried it with any success ? You might care to look back a page on this thread and read that West Hill Wagon Works have produced a replacement coupling bar for the 9F and that the next iteration will be fitted with the new style clip in bar .I did raise this matter with Hornby….as I posted a while ago here…..and they are aware of the problem.A replacement part was promised but hasn’t materialised to date. Hence West Hill seem to have stepped up to the plate. 

Yes. Sufficiently annoyed by this being dragged up again I went and got mine out, close coupling it (not how I normally run it) using the standard drawbar. Picture included.

IMG_20230724_103245.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Yes. Sufficiently annoyed by this being dragged up again I went and got mine out, close coupling it (not how I normally run it) using the standard drawbar. Picture included.

IMG_20230724_103245.jpg

My sincere apologies for causing you a severe case of irritation.I will now go to the cupboard for a slice of well seasoned humble pie. To cut to the chase ,this time it works and the gap has disappeared and lo it’s a 9F as it should be. I can only plead fat finger and short sightedness.Which begs the question,why did Hornby respond to me as they did and why are West Hill making a replacement bar ? I’m not making this up btw. Thanks for the wake up call.Must try harder next time. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2023 at 15:32, Ian Hargrave said:

Only qualm I have after viewing the website ( not the best way of judging what we’re going to get out of the box admittedly ) is the loco to tender coupling bar which has dogged the first issue 9F. Hopefully they will by now be fitted with the new design plug in strip. In no way could I compare this with the Accurascale Manor btw.It is what is and having seen preproduction samples I believe we are about to receive Hornby at its very best.

Re: the coupling bar. Now sorted…see above…

• Like 1

The latest edition of The Collector dropped through my letter box today with an update on the 2MTs. The first 2 models are in containers and due in the UK ant the end of August with the others following apparently 2-weeks after. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2023 at 10:37, Ian Hargrave said:

All that is required is a plastic yogurt pot lid (black ideally!), a belt hole punch and a craft knife. I've made scores of these to shorten the gap on mainly Hornby locos. Quick, cheap and you can experiment to get the minimum to suit your own curves. Top tip, you can often get a few mil closer by removing the tender to loco mini buffers. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

All that is required is a plastic yogurt pot lid (black ideally!), a belt hole punch and a craft knife. I've made scores of these to shorten the gap on mainly Hornby locos. Quick, cheap and you can experiment to get the minimum to suit your own curves. Top tip, you can often get a few mil closer by removing the tender to loco mini buffers. 

Many thanks for this…I appreciate the tip. But…as you can see a couple of posts back,I have managed to reverse the bar which has dramatically shortened that gap. I can only assume that my aborted first attempt was due to being short sighted and less nimble with my fingers than I used to be.That said,the holding screws ( particularly on the underside of the tender front ) are very short and all too easily lost. Still,there has to be an easier way than this fiddling surely otherwise West Hill wouldn’t be marketing a replacement.  92167 still runs well but her appearance is much more like the prototype. Now we eagerly await the little sister 78XXX.

• Like 2

As a long standing Hornby Club member, I have just received the Summer issue of The Collector in which there is a one page article on the forthcoming BR 2MT's. It says: "At the time of going to press, the container carrying the first of these models had left China and was expected to arrive in the UK at the end of August. It will take a further couple of weeks before supplies can be distributed to the retail trade".

It goes on to say "The first to arrive will be Cat.Nos. R3836 and R3838, closely followed by the rest approximately a fortnight later.  The sixth model - a Club Exclusive No.78022 (R3837) should be here in September.

Interestingly it says with regards the "Club" model, details of this and how to order will be circulated to members shortly.  Some may recall, that following announcement this model disappeared from the Hornby site. Luckily in my case, I ordered it on announcement, and have the confirmatory email, and it is listed in my pre-orders - the initial price to Club Members was £149.99 - I wonder what it will be now?

• Informative/Useful 5

On 02/07/2023 at 21:15, adb968008 said:

the only 78xxx I have was a Hornby 46400 conversion 35 years ago.

You actually did one then! I too bought a Hornby 46400 even longer ago (circa 1979/80 I reckon) to have a go at this conversion, spurred on by my cherished 1958 edition of 'The Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain' stating of the 78xxx, "This is the smallest of the BR standard types and, amongst the tender classes, alone possesses a running-plate of moderate height, resulting in the best proportioned engine of all the new designs." It was destined to become one of the first projects, if not the first project, I would alas never to get around to when I realised the steam-roller wheels would have to go, and back then rewheeling a steam loco with valve gear didn't appeal to this mainly diesel modeller.......🥴!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

As a long standing Hornby Club member, I have just received the Summer issue of The Collector in which there is a one page article on the forthcoming BR 2MT's. It says: "At the time of going to press, the container carrying the first of these models had left China and was expected to arrive in the UK at the end of August. It will take a further couple of weeks before supplies can be distributed to the retail trade".

It goes on to say "The first to arrive will be Cat.Nos. R3836 and R3838, closely followed by the rest approximately a fortnight later.  The sixth model - a Club Exclusive No.78022 (R3837) should be here in September.

Interestingly it says with regards the "Club" model, details of this and how to order will be circulated to members shortly.  Some may recall, that following announcement this model disappeared from the Hornby site. Luckily in my case, I ordered it on announcement, and have the confirmatory email, and it is listed in my pre-orders - the initial price to Club Members was £149.99 - I wonder what it will be now?

Interesting note RE the club model. I managed to order one close to announcement as well so it will be interesting to see how early orders are treated. In the past Hornby have honoured original prices where the cost rose between announcement and delivery.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Anyone had the payment requested/taken from Hornby for the Collectors Club 78022 yet?

Nope, but given they haven't announced it yet I doubt it is on the way with the rest. I am just hoping my order will be honoured when they do announce it.

12 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Nope, but given they haven't announced it yet I doubt it is on the way with the rest. I am just hoping my order will be honoured when they do announce it.

There was a Hornby delivery schedule document floating around a month or so back that had the collectors model of 78022 on it, showing it as expected into the warehouse around August.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 minute ago, Northmoor MPD said:

There was a Hornby delivery schedule document floating around a month or so back that had the collectors model of 78022 on it, showing it as expected into the warehouse around August.

Ah wow, that would be good if it is.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2023 at 21:53, TomScrut said:

Yep fingers crossed, It does seem a long time since that was on the page.. just out of curiosity why does it not even appear on the club as unavailable anymore.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Ighten said:

why does it not even appear on the club as unavailable anymore.

Lol. I'd say  probably because the Hornby Website can be ... unhelpful, shall we say.

I'm not sure there is a coherent set of Reasons Why it works like it does.

I find you can often locate something, by searching by "R" number, that should have been visible in a section but wasn't, if you get my drift.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ighten said:

just out of curiosity why does it not even appear on the club as unavailable anymore.

Because it hasn't had an actual official announcement yet.

What we have had:

1. A hint it would be announced at the following annual announcement. It wasn’t.

2. The accidental publication and subsequent removal of the product page.

3. A livery sample shown at a model railway show. IIRC it was shown alongside the then to be annouced club LNER P2 model.

4. Mentions of it in the club magazine.

• Like 1