New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

3 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

You can see 78010 (Black) and 78022 (Green) in the background of some of the pictures in this post

Hang on!

That's the Limited Edition one that disappeared!!

😍

Might be worth rejoining the CC sometime soon....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Currency would be hedged anyway (and they might well have got that right - they sometimes show a profit on their currency hedging) but the fall in shipping costs has been dramatic although production costs will presumably reflect the movement in oil prices and Chinese energy costs.  So lots of things in the mix but they, and nobody else, highlighted greatly increased shipping costs as part of their reason for substantial price increases and that reason is no longer applicable.

I'm not here to defend Hornby for the sake of it but I can't believe that folk genuinely think that with all the appalling inflationary headwinds affecting business plus the need to cover for volatility, that because one factor has gone in their favour they will drop prices when none of their equivalent competitors are doing so. Anybody running any company at all is going to want to try and maintain margins in the face of what are extreme business challenges.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hang on!

That's the Limited Edition one that disappeared!!

😍

Might be worth rejoining the CC sometime soon....

Jason

Not sure but I think it sold out as its not visible to me as a member.

Wonder if Hornby will honour the price considering the increase of normal releases have seen since announcement. 

3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Wonder if Hornby will honour the price considering the increase of normal releases have seen since announcement. 

I don't think it was actually on the website long enough to sell out.

I reckon someone had made a boo boo and put it up early as the next Collectors Club models were the Class 90 and then there is another Terrier to come.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/Hornby-club

Jason

41 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I don't think it sold out. It went on the site very quietly and went off just as quietly.

The question I am more interested in is whether the existing pre orders are valid or if they will change the code or something.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/10/2022 at 12:53, No Decorum said:

Oh what a sense of humour you have! 😆

Well based on what the company itself has previously in a Trading statement issued in November 2021

971222904_TradingStementNovr2021.jpg.c484c427cb218f998e9e0413bdd7f7b4.jpg

It reads that an increase in retail prices was solely to cover increased shipping costs.  So logically now that shipping costs have tumbled there is clearly room to reduce the increase that was applied back then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I'm not here to defend Hornby for the sake of it but I can't believe that folk genuinely think that with all the appalling inflationary headwinds affecting business plus the need to cover for volatility, that because one factor has gone in their favour they will drop prices when none of their equivalent competitors are doing so. Anybody running any company at all is going to want to try and maintain margins in the face of what are extreme business challenges.

See my post above.  They said they increased retail prices to cover increased shipping costs - not for any other reason.  

So as shipping costs have tumbled that reason is now either invalid or definitely far less valid that it was so logically some of that price increase ceases to have any validity.   If they want to maintain higher prices for other reasons that is up to them and I would sooner they remained 'profitable than go down the pan at the hands of the Receivers.   But as a publicly quoted company I would at least hope that they might be straight about it and say that is why they have increased prices and are maintaining that increase.  There is alas such a thing as 'the law of unintended consequences' and they might well have landed in that position  by choosing a single, highly variable, cost as the justification for a price increase when they could have said 'a range of costs' or some such words..

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well based on what the company itself has previously in a Trading statement issued in November 2021

971222904_TradingStementNovr2021.jpg.c484c427cb218f998e9e0413bdd7f7b4.jpg

It reads that an increase in retail prices was solely to cover increased shipping costs.  So logically now that shipping costs have tumbled there is clearly room to reduce the increase that was applied back then.

I don’t dispute that for a minute. What tickled my funny bone was the thought that Hornby (or any manufacturer for that matter) would reduce prices.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, No Decorum said:

I don’t dispute that for a minute. What tickled my funny bone was the thought that Hornby (or any manufacturer for that matter) would reduce prices.

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to, but TBH when making excuses I think picking less volatile subject might be a better idea.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Here's a quick snap I took earlier which may provide a better/alternate view 🙂

IMG_3363.JPG

Well 78022 is the R3837 K&WVR (Preserved), Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78022 - Era 11 - CLUB EXCLUSIVE.  I have just checked and my pre-order for this loco is still showing (today) on the Hornby site. I assume this was announced at the beginning of January 2021 (I cannot remember) - but both my order and confirmation email from Hornby are dated 10th February 2021. So it may have been advertised for a few weeks?

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the tardiness folks. I spoke with Simon Kohler at GETS, and he said he expects the first ones to be around March next year. I specifically asked about the BR Black late Crest version,  R3836 I think. Last time I looked, this approximately matches the expected date on the Hornby website. Let's hope there are no more deferments, and we see these in the near future. Please take the appropriate pinch of salt with this information. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No mention at all of the BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT. I just had a look in the Hornby Shop and all I can add is that it says:

R3838 78010 - R3836 78047 will be available in the Spring 2023.

R3981 78054 - R3982 78006 - R3839 78000 will be available in the Summer 2023.

No mention, which there hasn't been since a week or two after announcement of R3837 78022 Club Exclusive.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I received a DHJ BR class 2MT tender loco I won on Vectis Auctions recently. I have wanted a BR class 2MT for some time, a bit put off with the prices of a new DJH kit by the time I would have bought the motor, wheels etc. My next solution was to buy a second hand Bachy Ivatt class 2 and rebuild it to a BR Class 2. I have a white metal cab ready for the conversion. Then Hornby announced their model, so I pre ordered and I waited.  While expecting Mr Hatton to say my 2MT is in his shop any day and at the same time seeing ones appear on Vectis a few times I placed a bid or three.  I always seemed to lose the bids, so I was quite pleased when I won this one. The price of it compared to the prices I saw the other day on the Hornby site I was also able to afford the green L1 as well.

2MT.jpg.3378d4237f803f4269c7e9c9d779e01f.jpg

It runs really well.

705697323_L1s1.jpg.31fc8a9f4dfe7cfc15b3782e73ce61b3.jpg

The black L1 also arrived today.

When Mr Hatton asks me do I still want the pre ordered Hornby loco I will politely say that I do not.

Good thing is someone else will now be able to buy the one I pre ordered as well as me having a class engine I have wanted for some time.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/01/2023 at 23:19, Clive Mortimore said:

When Mr Hatton asks me do I still want the pre ordered Hornby loco I will politely say that I do not.

I doubt you'll need worry about that

Given Hornby's 'Tears'* system, your email from Mr Hatton will more than likely be

Sorry we haven't received sufficient stock to fulfill your order

Missed out on both of my last pre-orders from them through that (A2/3 & W1)

* deliberate miss-spelling

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 11/01/2023 at 17:18, Bulleidboy100 said:

No mention at all of the BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT. I just had a look in the Hornby Shop and all I can add is that it says:

No mention, which there hasn't been since a week or two after announcement of R3837 78022 Club Exclusive.

Have just checked my pre-order at Kernow for 78010, and its showing there as expected Autumn '23

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 17:18, Bulleidboy100 said:

So, with the revival of this thread  I decided to check my Hornby orders.    No mention of R3836 there either.   I thought I had pre-ordered this at the start of 2020 and then cancelled it in September 2020 when it became apparent that Hornby had over-subscribed their Captain Tom pre-orders and were unable to honour my pre-order for that item, indeed I posted earlier in this thread about the cancellation.  My Hornby account did indeed show cancelled orders from that time but no mention either of a current order or of a cancelled order for R3836.  I wrote politely to Hornby asking them to please check the status of this order.   This is the reply I received

"Thank you for contacting us, unfortunately this item is completely sold out, your order most likely got cancelled if the payment method failed, you should have had received an email back then, but I am unsure of what has happened."

Why would payment have failed?  Hornby do not usually ask for payment until the item is available.  I wonder if Hornby have been conveniently losing some pre-orders so that they don't need to honour the original price?

Edited by cessna152towser
typo

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2023 at 12:34, cessna152towser said:

I wonder if Hornby have been conveniently losing some pre-orders so that they don't need to honour the original price?

My order of R3837 is still there. That's is the one they quietly put on the website as a Club model then quietly removed it too. That's £149.99 on my order so if there's any they'll want to cancel at original price that will be it!