New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2023 at 08:00, GreatWesternFan220 said:

Had a quick check on Hornby's website the other day. Looks like R3838 78010 has been pushed back to "Summer 2023". R3836 78047 is still showing "Spring 2023". Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I got a mail from Hattons with the same dates. 

3 hours ago, RonnieS said:

Oh Thanks. I also asked Hattons and got this

So Hattons looks to be in the dark, very much the same as everybody else.

I'd wager it has the same 4 pin JST connector between loco & tender with two wires for pick up two for motor. Pick up on all loco & tender  wheels via pogos. As this loco has been coming for a number of years Hornby has probably stuck with the 8 pin NEM 652 socket due to space limitations within the tender body.

It would be nice to think Hornby has applied a bit of lateral thinking to utilise a Next 18 socket  (or even better a plux 22) along with a decent size speaker housing but taking into account the length of time since it left the drawing board I think we'll be lumbered with the 8 Pin. Easy enough to convert though.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Well it looks like these have all been delayed again by another 3 months!

Just checked the Hornby website and they are all now either Summer or Autumn 2023 

Bit like one of those auto answer systems!

"You are moving forward in the queue". "You only have another 3months  (?) too wait ".

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Maybe they're holding it back due to an appearance on series 99 of "Hornby: a Marketing world" or whatever it's called.

Funny you mention that.  On the Hornby programmes you do sometimes spot things "lying around", but I haven't yet seen any "Mickey Mouse" shaped metal or plastic yet.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2023 at 12:34, cessna152towser said:

Interesting that when I contacted Hornby in January of this year regarding my pre-order from 2020 for R3836, Standard 2MT 78047, the reply which I received was:- "Thank you for contacting us, unfortunately this item is completely sold out, your order most likely got cancelled if the payment method failed, you should have had received an email back then, but I am unsure of what has happened."

Completely Sold Out, they said, just a few weeks ago, yet now it is showing on their website as available for pre-order - but for a price of 217.99 compared to the 179.99 originally quoted.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AMJ said:

I wonder if the delay has been so that they can tweak the board so that a HM7000 based chip can be easily placed inside.

I thought it had already been mentioned that this, and other items, were slow in appearing due to the factory Hornby placed the contract with having been especially hard hit by COVID. 

And before anyone says just move it elsewhere, if the factory has started tooling, or even manufacture, you are going to owe them a LOT of money to void the contract.....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fireline said:

I thought it had already been mentioned that this, and other items, were slow in appearing due to the factory Hornby placed the contract with having been especially hard hit by COVID. 

And before anyone says just move it elsewhere, if the factory has started tooling, or even manufacture, you are going to owe them a LOT of money to void the contract.....

I had seen something about the tooling was lost/damaged in a factory move so had to be restarted but of course without any official confirmation it could all be conjecture. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/03/2023 at 10:50, Pre Grouping fan said:

I had seen something about the tooling was lost/damaged in a factory move so had to be restarted but of course without any official confirmation it could all be conjecture. 

Sounds like rumour mongering, let alone conjecture!

• Agree 1

On 29/03/2023 at 10:50, Pre Grouping fan said:

Possibly a duplication of the 6mt reasons. 

Paul.

Had an email today from Hattons regarding my pre-order for R3838 (78010):

"Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between September 2023 & October 2023

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

This information is to be used as a guide only."

Hopefully not too long to wait now 🤞

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

I am now going to treat the actual arrival of this fabled model, should it ever take place, as a sign of the Apocalypse...

Well; "apparently" there are confirmed reports of aliens arriving in Nevada this week so maybe the 2MT will not be far behind them.

I'm not sure if "apparently" refers to "confirmed reports" or "real aliens"?

Maybe "Comet" models to a 2MT.

• Funny 5

4 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Well; "apparently" there are confirmed reports of aliens arriving in Nevada this week so maybe the 2MT will not be far behind them.

I'm not sure if "apparently" refers to "confirmed reports" or "real aliens"?

Maybe "Comet" models to a 2MT.

I'm wondering if there is a market for me to do a 3d printed 2MT shell. I once ruled it out and started on the 3MT because Hornby were going to do the 2MT, but its looking more like they just want to permanently put everyone else off doing.

Be strong accurascale, you'll beat them to the market if you fancy a go?!

Anon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

I'm wondering if there is a market for me to do a 3d printed 2MT shell. I once ruled it out and started on the 3MT because Hornby were going to do the 2MT, but its looking more like they just want to permanently put everyone else off doing.

Be strong accurascale, you'll beat them to the market if you fancy a go?!

Anon.

Accurascale beat them too it?

Forgive me I just tripped over all those Accurascale Manors in my local model shop. They must have some kind of cloaking device as I can't see them!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Accurascale beat them too it?

Forgive me I just tripped over all those Accurascale Manors in my local model shop. They must have some kind of cloaking device as I can't see them!

Jason

Well modellers are asking for more and more features on their locos!