New tooling - BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0 2MT 78xxx

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2023 at 11:47, Paul_sterling said:

I'm wondering if there is a market for me to do a 3d printed 2MT shell. I once ruled it out and started on the 3MT because Hornby were going to do the 2MT, but its looking more like they just want to permanently put everyone else off doing.

Be strong accurascale, you'll beat them to the market if you fancy a go?!

Anon.

On 11/06/2023 at 13:53, RedgateModels said:

Do tell 🙂

Hi guys

I have started a conversion of a Bachy class 4 2-6-0 into a 3MT.

001a.jpg.4cc5325a52b70b3ab61b4a2e87c8b3ca.jpg

006a.jpg.eec93127a4d42420204bbb8ca1e43627.jpg

The new boiler, a lot of the boiler fittings can be reused. The chimney needs to be made 2mm higher. I am not in any hurry to finish it because the day I do there will be an announcement of the announcement of the announcement that an RTR one will be along in 5 or 6 years time.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi guys

I have started a conversion of a Bachy class 4 2-6-0 into a 3MT.

001a.jpg.4cc5325a52b70b3ab61b4a2e87c8b3ca.jpg

006a.jpg.eec93127a4d42420204bbb8ca1e43627.jpg

The new boiler, a lot of the boiler fittings can be reused. The chimney needs to be made 2mm higher. I am not in any hurry to finish it because the day I do there will be an announcement of the announcement of the announcement that an RTR one will be along in 5 or 6 years time.

I too have been looking at a 3mt Clive, albeit full replacement of the bodyshell. Still at CAD stage at present as other commitments prevail. 

Thanks. 

Paul. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

I too have been looking at a 3mt Clive, albeit full replacement of the bodyshell. Still at CAD stage at present as other commitments prevail. 

Thanks. 

Paul. 

Saves me starting to do this too 😁

Capture.PNG.3cbc8e66562cc8b3c908384434b8b496.PNG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

When/if?  the Hornby 2MT turns up, I'm waiting to see if any of the yoochoob reviewers/influenzas dare to use the collocation "eagerly anticipated"???

🤭  Thankfully only one ever got allocated to my modelling realm and it arrived just after my timeframe cut-off date so I will continue not to eagerly await it's arrival from Hornby 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

🤭  Thankfully only one ever got allocated to my modelling realm and it arrived just after my timeframe cut-off date so I will continue not to eagerly await it's arrival from Hornby 

I'm beginning to wonder if a nit yer announced TT120 version will be here before the long ago announced 00 version?   Either Hornby still  haven't got enough advance orders for it or something else is distracting their attention (and spending).

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Either Hornby still  haven't got enough advance orders for it or something else is distracting their attention (and spending).

I suspect that TT120 is taking more resource than they expected on several fronts. I'm more interested on the Caprotti Black 5 but that also seems a distant dream at the moment. Can you bequeath a pre order or does it die with you?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Thanks. 

Paul. 

Hi Paul, I hope you persevere with this, I would be very interested and have a spare 76xxx to donate chassis etc. I have seen some of your excellent work on this and other forums and I have no doubt it would be a well-manufactured item!

I still remember H.C. Casserley describing the 77xxx in 'The Observers Book of Locomotives' as " A very ugly engine", but one that is redolent of the N.E., Sc. R. and latterly Southern Region.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Hi Paul, I hope you persevere with this, I would be very interested and have a spare 76xxx to donate chassis etc. I have seen some of your excellent work on this and other forums and I have no doubt it would be a well-manufactured item!

I still remember H.C. Casserley describing the 77xxx in 'The Observers Book of Locomotives' as " A very ugly engine", but one that is redolent of the N.E., Sc. R. and latterly Southern Region.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Too Kind Peter. 

I hope to persist with it, its a relatively simple shell, with decent depth running plate to help with print stability. I've also been asked about producing an O4/8 boiler/cab as well, and when I'm going to finish the N10 (!) but family life and a certain lambton Locomotives Trust does take up a lot of my time. 

Thanks.

Paul. 

13 hours ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I think TT120 is to blame for many OO gauge models being badly delayed. I believe that much production capacity has had to be re allocated  in favour of the new scale.

I think the more likely suspect is a thing called Covid. You might have heard of it. It was in all the papers....

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Fireline said:

I think the more likely suspect is a thing called Covid. You might have heard of it. It was in all the papers....

Thank you for your sarcastic comment.  Yes, covid did cause delays but shoehorning TT120 into the production shechdules has made a poor situation worse  in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Trevor Hammond said:

Thank you for your sarcastic comment.  Yes, covid did cause delays but shoehorning TT120 into the production shechdules has made a poor situation worse  in my opinion.

Interesting view, can you tell me where you found that out, that TT is being made in the same factory as their 00 stuff and therefore has caused delays on 00 products? 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I think TT120 is to blame for many OO gauge models being badly delayed. I believe that much production capacity has had to be re allocated  in favour of the new scale.

SK Explicitly said this is not the case within the first 10 mins of the 2023 range launch video.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Hammond said:

If that was the case then all those orders for TT stuff would be being fulfilled. They aren't.

In fact there is only about two dozen TT items in stock and most of those are just different identities of the same thing (not counting track and buildings).

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

Interesting view, can you tell me where you found that out, that TT is being made in the same factory as their 00 stuff and therefore has caused delays on 00 products? 

Hardly relevant.  Hornby use a variety of factories so whichever one is making what doesn't necessarily makre any difference. to manufacture of items being  made by other factories.

Covid could of course still lead to delays unless production is switched frm a badly affected factory to one which is working ok and has capacity.  If anything I would wonder if money is likely to be a factor in at least come cases.  Hornby have been borrowing heavily - presumably at least partly driven by TT120 associated costs - and they have to pay for everything they have manufactured.  So there surely has to be a business decision about where to spend the money Ihey  have available at any particular time, especially if it is expensive borrowed money?

The Annual Report is due soon and that will hopefully put things into full perspective but it s clear that for whatever reason Hornby sales fell sort of target in their final two quarters.  There could be various reasons for that but I presume their sales g forecasts, and thus their budgetting, would be partly based on new releases arriving in the afvertised quarters so there should be explanations of why they fell short.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

so there should be explanations of why they fell short.

Just business/financial aspect. Nothing on the P.R. front.  😉

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hardly relevant.  Hornby use a variety of factories so whichever one is making what doesn't necessarily makre any difference. to manufacture of items being  made by other factories.

Yes. Thank you. This is exactly the point I was making

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, HExpressD said:

Yes. Thank you. This is exactly the point I was making

Possibly, but then Hornby have finite resources, e.g. project managers and money, so production capacity across factories isn't the only potential bottleneck.

• Agree 3