Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

On 26/11/2023 at 15:22, Compound2632 said:

one needs two cranes not just one; most things need to be lifted at both ends:

Naaaaaaah. The easy way to coal.  😉   Not a high viz in sight but a great opportunity for ModelU.  How many men does it take to service a Duchess?  "Oh-er missus".

28584004286_e2449e23a8_k.jpgA temporary measure by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 14
  • Funny 3

12 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Naaaaaaah. The easy way to coal.  😉   Not a high viz in sight but a great opportunity for ModelU.  How many men does it take to service a Duchess?  "Oh-er missus".

28584004286_e2449e23a8_k.jpgA temporary measure by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

The jib is too long for the 15 ton crane, you'd need a 45 ton crane to do that job, I can see it working with a Hornby Dublo crane and, say, Duchess of Montrose!  You could also use the current Hornby version of both too...

I feel sorry for the blokes hoisted up with the wagon to shovel the coal into the tender!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The jib is too long for the 15 ton crane, you'd need a 45 ton crane to do that job, I can see it working with a Hornby Dublo crane and, say, Duchess of Montrose!  You could also use the current Hornby version of both too...

Indeed, and I might pose my Bachmann SR crane with a Merchant Navy at some point in a similar configuration just for fun 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2023 at 12:10, Fair Oak Junction said:

I've not found any info on what match trucks the SR 15t cranes would have run with, so I'll probably just use a generic ex-LSWR 3 plank with the jib rest from the wagon it comes with.

Usual thing for most railways was a double bolster wagon with the bolsters removed and a dedicated jib support added.

Bear in mind that would normally be mounted centrally to avoid unequal loading, hence my selection of a longer wagon. 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 01:10, Fair Oak Junction said:

I've not found any info on what match trucks the SR 15t cranes would have run with, so I'll probably just use a generic ex-LSWR 3 plank with the jib rest from the wagon it comes with.

I did a bit of looking at what was used for the Stewarts Lane crane, Happy to PM you if you'd like some of the info? I'm looking at a 3D print/scratchbuild hybrid to get it out of my head and into real life. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

I did a bit of looking at what was used for the Stewarts Lane crane, Happy to PM you if you'd like some of the info? I'm looking at a 3D print/scratchbuild hybrid to get it out of my head and into real life. 

That would be great, thank you!

3 minutes ago, it's-er said:

Goodness - we could have modelled that scene above entirely with Hornby Dublo products in the 1960s!  Am astonished!

John S

The HD crane was 1959 - 61/2 so in the 50s* even!

* Just!

• Like 3

On 27/11/2023 at 12:10, Fair Oak Junction said:

There's a photo of DS316 in 'Service Stock of the Southern Railway' ( Oakwood Press, 1993 ) .... the match truck looks to be a purpose-built long wheelbase steel framed two-planker with a timber jib rest. It's a Lens of Sutton Photo so should be available from https://lensofsutton.co.uk.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 07:55, Compound2632 said:

Who is that article by?

All it says at top of the page Cowans Sheldon 15ton steam breakdown cranes by Peter Tatlow Part 2, Mk2 cranes. there must be a Mk1 cranes as well

Ian G

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ian G said:

All it says at top of the page Cowans Sheldon 15ton steam breakdown cranes by Peter Tatlow Part 2, Mk2 cranes. there must be a Mk1 cranes as well

Peter Tatlow being the author of a compendious and probably definitive three-volume work on railway cranes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

It's nice to see work in progress at last! 

I'm not entirely sure whether I really want an included match truck - I was actually looking forward to repurposing a spare three plank wagon for the job. But I suspect they'll sell more with one included, because not everybody will want to do that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I'm not entirely sure whether I really want an included match truck - I was actually looking forward to repurposing a spare three plank wagon for the job. But I suspect they'll sell more with one included, because not everybody will want to do that. 

If, when it comes to it, you don't want the match truck, I'm interested! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I would dearly like to recreate a scene illustrated in Chris Handley's Maritime Activities of the Somerset & Dorset Railway, where the boiler of the company's coaster Julia has been lifted out for transportation to Highbridge Works. The boiler looks like a significantly out of gauge load. The crane looks like one of this ilk. I guess it must have come round from Bath or Bristol to carry out this manoeuvre and presumably to repeat it in reverse after the boilermakers had done their repairs. Julia is already on scene, although its boiler must somewhere inside its solid wooden hull!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

The crane looks like one of this ilk. I guess it must have come round from Bath or Bristol to carry out this manoeuvre and presumably to repeat it in reverse after the boilermakers had done their repairs. 

No. 31 of the Midland's second batch of four, purchased in 1899, was allocated to Bristol. As far as I'm aware, the LSWR didn't have any cranes of this type, so presumably it's the Bristol crane in the photo. Although assigned to the Locomotive Department, they were quite often made use of by the Engineers' Department, so a loan to the Joint seems by no means improbable.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Nice to see the Midland style match wagon progressing 👌

Way back soon after the crane was announced, I did start bashing a Midland match wagon from Slaters parts etc. However, the geometry of the jib rest looked more challenging every time I looked at the drawing and so, with Oxford having gone quiet on the crane, I'm afraid I let progress slip!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

.... As far as I'm aware, the LSWR didn't have any cranes of this type, ....  

IF Oxford Rail have any sense they will release the crane(s) in as many (incorrect) pre-grouping and BR regional liveries as they can  -  nearly all layouts can find a use for a light crane.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7