Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

Glad to see they've finally produced an update on the crane, also the J26; it's been an unconscionably long time since they've said anything much about both of these projects.   Takeover of the company was perhaps the reason for this.

I'm not fazed by the price increase given that it's taken so long.  I hadn't expected a match truck to be included, it struck me as odd that it wasn't there originally, but adding it is a very smart move as it does take the sting out of the inevitable price hike, althpugh like others on here I was planning to put something together myself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Glad to see they've finally produced an update on the crane, also the J26; it's been an unconscionably long time since they've said anything much about both of these projects.   Takeover of the company was perhaps the reason for this.

I'm not fazed by the price increase given that it's taken so long.  I hadn't expected a match truck to be included, it struck me as odd that it wasn't there originally, but adding it is a very smart move as it does take the sting out of the inevitable price hike, althpugh like others on here I was planning to put something together myself.

Probably because the different railway companies had different types of match truck.

There are at least two kits for GWR ones available for example. The Cambrian kits one and this.

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/GWR_matchtruck.htm

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably because the different railway companies had different types of match truck.

There are at least two kits for GWR ones available for example. The Cambrian kits one and this.

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/GWR_matchtruck.htm

Jason

And there is the Bygone Wagons 3D output available as complete or just the top.

Mike Wiltshire

crane.runner.1.jpg.2022263d16f8a1c7b362f3c26f3b3a25.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is a new price stated anywhere? I haven't seen any reference to it. Still nineteen pounds something on Oxford's website. 

Unfortunately, "this year, hopefully" seems to be the message for delivery, though that's better than no info at all!

I'll be adapting a Chivers 'Ling' kit to go with my Stewarts Lane one.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Is a new price stated anywhere? I haven't seen any reference to it. Still nineteen pounds something on Oxford's website. 

Unfortunately, "this year, hopefully" seems to be the message for delivery, though that's better than no info at all!

I'll be adapting a Chivers 'Ling' kit to go with my Stewarts Lane one.

Still shown on the official OR website as £19.95 RRP for all variants, but I fully expect this will change.

Rails of Sheffield for example have it listed for pre-order for £16.95!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No. 31 of the Midland's second batch of four, purchased in 1899, was allocated to Bristol. As far as I'm aware, the LSWR didn't have any cranes of this type, so presumably it's the Bristol crane in the photo. Although assigned to the Locomotive Department, they were quite often made use of by the Engineers' Department, so a loan to the Joint seems by no means improbable.  

Pre-1900 LSWR cranes were built by Dunlop & Bell on 6-wheel underframes.

Post-1900 the favoured supplier for cranes up to 20tons was Stothert & Pitt of Bath.

36-tonners were later supplied by Ransomes & Rapier (1918) and Cowans, Sheldon (1922). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can anyone point me towards a suitable match truck for an LNER example? (Ex-GN section, 1930s).

Cheers.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, phil gollin said:

The crane is currently undergoing some major changes for the new mechanism

Why am I getting a bad feeling that this means it's now significantly more complicated (i.e. expensive) than it was ? 

I really wasn't expecting it to be 16 quid but I think the estimates of 4 times that might be conservative. 

Edited by Wheatley
Typing wiv thumb
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I think it's still a bit early to be worrying about it. We don't know, and we have no way of knowing.

Oxford stuff has always been priced very competitively, so until we know for sure I'm certainly going to stay more on the hopeful side.

Edit: As proved by the fact the J26s are still at an RRP of £130 (£110 at some retailers) despite global economic factors that have happened since they were first announced.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's not going to be £16.50 now that's for sure! Oh well, at least whatever it will be I can take £16.50 off! 🫣.

Cheers,

Jim.

• Like 2

The crane is currently undergoing some major changes for the new mechanism

I hope this doesn't mean they are turning it into a working toy like Bachmann did, which significantly increased the price.

• Agree 5

50 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

I hope this doesn't mean they are turning it into a working toy like Bachmann did, which significantly increased the price.

I do think that the Bachmann crane was over-engineered for the majority of its customers, yes. But I do also think that having it poseable is useful, because a lot of buyers of cranes are going to want to put them into action scenes rather than having them always in jib-down mode as would be the case in transit. 

Oxford did manage that with the rail gun, though, without feeling the need to replicate the real life mechanism in the way that Bachmann did with their crane. And I think most people would be satisfied with relatively limited moveability - just being able to lift and rotate the jib is probably enough. So hopefully they can find a suitable compromise between functionality and simplicity.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

On 15/03/2024 at 10:38, Ollie K said:

Can anyone point me towards a suitable match truck for an LNER example? (Ex-GN section, 1930s).

Cheers.

The Sheldon Mk2 swan neck 15-ton crane 961604, which went to Colchester in November 1947, was originally GNR.

At Colchester it was coupled to four vehicles:

Tool Van 961515, ex LD&ECR (GCR) 51842 6-wheel 34’ brake third. 

Mess and Packing Van 961520 ex GER 6-wheel 945 brake third 62332.

Crane Runner 961658 a converted ex GER double bolster and

Guard Truck 961657 a converted ex GER Diagram 17 high sided wagon. 

My model is mix of D&S kits, modified as necessary and the crane runner is scratch built. 

20230814_141804.jpg.3eafb2dfc4f828cd619a02e6fa3aa8fc.jpg

Paul

20240316_112520 (1).jpg

Edited by PaulG
photo of complete breakdown train
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/03/2024 at 17:29, PaulG said:

The Sheldon Mk2 swan neck 15-ton crane 961604, which went to Colchester in November 1947, was originally GNR.

At Colchester it was coupled to four vehicles:

Tool Van 961515, ex LD&ECR (GCR) 51842 6-wheel 34’ brake third. 

Mess and Packing Van 961520 ex GER 6-wheel 945 brake third 62332.

Crane Runner 961658 a converted ex GER double bolster and

Guard Truck 961657 a converted ex GER Diagram 17 high sided wagon. 

My model is mix of D&S kits, modified as necessary and the crane runner is scratch built. 

20230814_141804.jpg.3eafb2dfc4f828cd619a02e6fa3aa8fc.jpg

Paul

20240316_112520 (1).jpg

Thanks Paul. Has your layout appeared in any exhibitions or magazines? Looks terrific. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ollie K said:

Thanks Paul. Has your layout appeared in any exhibitions or magazines? Looks terrific. 

Thank you for your comments and the layout has appeared in Model Rail and from time to time, I post photos on RMWEB (see "Colchester c1950 4mm/OO gauge" under the modelling heading ), various Facebook pages and Great Eastern Railway Society News. 

Paul

Edited by PaulG
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2024 at 14:03, Compound2632 said:

If, when it comes to it, you don't want the match truck, I'm interested! 

How many do you want? 😂

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 57xx said:

How many do you want? 😂

Probably three. One to go with the Oxford crane, one to go with my D&S crane "when" I get round to building it, and one to use the jib support in a shorter match wagon for a 5-ton hand crane.

• RMweb Gold

Is the match truck based on a revenue earning wagon or a specific (or worse generic) build for the crane?

mine will be redundant once I convert the crane into the GW version, but if there is something useful it could be converted into that would be a bonus 

7 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Is the match truck based on a revenue earning wagon or a specific (or worse generic) build for the crane?

Comments upthread, based on the CAD render, suggest it's a Midland style match truck. The Midland Railway, unlike most other companies, did have a standard design of match truck, and there are documented examples of them being used with a Cowans Sheldon crane of the type Oxford are making. See comments on this subject in this related topic:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/148508-crane-match-trucks/

So it is the obvious choice if a match truck is being included, because it will be definitely right for at least some of the versions and "close enough" for many of the others. But if you're not modelling a location which would have seen a Midland crane, and you'd prefer a more accurate match truck for yours, then the included match truck isn't going to be much use for anything else.

• Thanks 1