Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

48 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, I mentally doubled Hatton's predicted price from the word go!

John

I am pretty much of the same mindset as you, it would be very hard to believe that a model of this type could be sold at a price lower than a standard 4 wheeled wagon made by either Bachmann or Hornby, a price of £35.00 plus would be more believable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

It was originally priced at more than a standard 4 wheeled wagon from Oxford Rail.
Will the price of Oxford Rail wagons double when sold in a Hornby box?

This is the 64 thousand dollar question in my opinion, the answer so far has been 'no' judging by the recent batch of Pilchards*, but that may of course change in time, I have no idea what Hornby's strategic plan is for the OR product line in the medium term.

* granted they're still in OR boxes...

Edited by spamcan61

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

It was originally priced at more than a standard 4 wheeled wagon from Oxford Rail.
Will the price of Oxford Rail wagons double when sold in a Hornby box?

Right now, that's still an if rather than a when. 

With a new top team in place, and the introduction of TT:120 to muddy the waters, a realignment of Hornby's OO ranges could well be on the agenda, and might be more comprehensive than just subsuming Oxford into the Hornby brand. 

Notwithstanding that the better Oxford wagons are actually superior to many sold in red boxes, I think Railroad may be considered overdue for some adjustment. An easy way to emphasize such a restructuring might be to keep the stuff that's aimed at the very young as Railroad and reconstitute the rest into a proper "budget" range, possibly under the Oxford Rail brand.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I have taken a chance and already have the crane runner waiting for my GWR conversion of the Oxford. Bygone wagons of Tasmania if anyone else wants one and they deliver to the UK. 

https://bygone-wagons.com/446779589

Mike Wiltshire

621406090_cranerunner.jpg.77ac54c17f3293dd0fd3621170135ef5.jpg

I've stockpiled one of Rapido's SECR 2-plank ballast wagons to make a match truck for my Stewarts Lane crane, though I'm not sure that one will be long enough.... 

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

My pre-order from Rails in Feb 2020 was at £16.50, and they're still listing it at that.

Seems to be a bargain compared to the Bachmann Ransomes & Rapier job.

It's obviously going to be a lot less complex than the Bachmann crane. But Oxford managed to deliver the rail gun, which is a pretty complicated piece of machinery, at a relatively low price. The venerable Hornby cranes have been around for a while and, while very much of their era (and now downgraded to the Railroad range), are cheap enough. Oxford only need to pitch theirs somewhere in between the Hornby and Bachmann models for it to be good enough for most people.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hummm... no longer listed on the Hornby website. Does that mean it's quietly getting dropped???  

Given previous delays (3yrs and counting for my H class) it feels unlikely Hornby will remove it just because they don't have an eta yet?

My pre-order is still visible as pending in my orders (first pre-order with Hornby direct to lock in the price, given likely price hikes prior to delivery), and it is still listed as a future release on the Oxford Rail website, so fingers crossed still in development 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drnick said:

Hummm... no longer listed on the Hornby website. Does that mean it's quietly getting dropped???  

Given previous delays (3yrs and counting for my H class) it feels unlikely Hornby will remove it just because they don't have an eta yet?

My pre-order is still visible as pending in my orders (first pre-order with Hornby direct to lock in the price, given likely price hikes prior to delivery), and it is still listed as a future release on the Oxford Rail website, so fingers crossed still in development 

Could equally be that Oxford Rail are about to be liberated from The Empire! 😇

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As a retailer I've heard nothing about the cranes since I got a price list from Oxford with them on last July, usually listing them on the price list means they are close, the fact it's been a year and we've had nothing else does worry me.

Gary

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2023 at 12:30, drnick said:

All preorders on the Hornby site have been cancelled as they no longer stock OR... Had an open wagon and the SR Crane cancelled on me :(

35 minutes ago, D3489gibson said:

All preorders on the Hornby site have been cancelled as they no longer stock OR... Had an open wagon and the SR Crane cancelled on me :(

I wonder if Hornby have changed their mind about bringing the Oxford brand in house, so to speak. The Oxford Diecast website is still being updated with product news, albeit solely vehicles at the moment with nothing recent in the Oxford Rail section. So maybe the OR products that were listed at Hornby will simply shift back to OR.

• Agree 2

Pre orders maybe. Still plenty of stock otherwise.

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/collections/oxford-rail-models?langPath=Hornby-uk&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_collection]=Oxford Rail&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_brand]=Oxford Rail&page_id=120805&sort_by=8&page=1

I reckon the cranes are probably going to be removed from sale and reposted at a sensible price. 

Anyone thinking they would be still be £17 is very optimistic.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pre orders maybe. Still plenty of stock otherwise.

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/collections/oxford-rail-models?langPath=Hornby-uk&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_collection]=Oxford Rail&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_brand]=Oxford Rail&page_id=120805&sort_by=8&page=1

I reckon the cranes are probably going to be removed from sale and reposted at a sensible price. 

Anyone thinking they would be still be £17 is very optimistic.

Jason

I took that with a large spoonful of salt when they were first announced.

Realistically, I expect the price to be around three times that if/when they do eventually materialise.

When you only want one of something, the cost is less important, though...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling