Standard Cowans Sheldon 15T Crane (mk1 and mk2 Jib) announced!

Garethp8873

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

2nd rtr crane to bite the dust…

Hattons Plasser has been sleeping a long time.

I suspect cranes are not everyones cup of tea.

Its a wagon, but its a wagon most only want 1 of.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Hattons Plasser has been sleeping a long time.

I suspect cranes are not everyones cup of tea.

Its a wagon, but its a wagon most only want 1 of.

The Hattons Plasser was definitely cancelled.  And I would have wanted a couple of them, but your point is valid.

I wouldn't mind a crane tank loco, though I suspect they would achieve even fewer sales than the wagons.

However as far as I know the Cowans Sheldon is still pending, at least officially, albeit a very long time coming.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

However as far as I know the Cowans Sheldon is still pending, at least officially, albeit a very long time coming.

Has anyone emailed Oxford to ask?

13 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Has anyone emailed Oxford to ask?

My two pre-orders for these are with Rails, who I assume would notify me if they became aware that they were not going to materialise eventually.  I suspect they will tell me of an increase from £16.50 if they do happen though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If Oxford Rail's future is still under consideration by the new powers-that-be, you may be waiting a while!

John

Indeed John, my thoughts exactly.

I'm now rather glad that I bought the Bachmann 45t crane with 50% off  from TMC earlier in the year.

• 4 weeks later...

Oxford Diecast confirmed that some projects were paused including the crane. They seem to suggest it's the next rail project after the J26.

See 1:08:13 onwards. https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1OyKAWMPPlLJb

Edited by 1andrew1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

59 minutes ago, 1andrew1 said:

Oxford Diecast confirmed that some projects were paused including the crane was paused. They seem to suggest it's the next rail project after the J26.

See 1:08:13 onwards. https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1OyKAWMPPlLJb

Thanks for the info, however the link doesn't work unless you are prepared to register as a user of twitter.

Don't suppose they'll be honouring the original advertised price (£16.50 from Rails)

Edited by Michael Hodgson

23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Thanks for the info, however the link doesn't work unless you are prepared to register as a user of twitter.

Don't suppose they'll be honouring the original advertised price (£16.50 from Rails)

There are other public links available on the Oxford Diecast website.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

There are other public links available on the Oxford Diecast website.

Do you have the link please as I can’t find any news on the crane or general videos. Searches only come up with the two product links shown as ‘future’.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

By the time they eventually emerge, the postage will probably cost that! 🙃

TBH, I thought that price was laughable from the word go.

If they get them out in the next couple of years, accurately dimensioned and to even a half-decent level of detail, anything under three times that will look pretty good to me...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Do you have the link please as I can’t find any news on the crane or general videos. Searches only come up with the two product links shown as ‘future’.

Go to Youtube. Search for Oxford Diecast Live. The Oxford Rail discussion start just over one hour into the video. I am out in the ocean so no real bandwidth to research the precise link.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Mike Harvey said:

Go to Youtube. Search for Oxford Diecast Live. The Oxford Rail discussion start just over one hour into the video. I am out in the ocean so no real bandwidth to research the precise link.

Thanks for the info and as a result, 

go to 1hr 8mins 50sec

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for posting the link and also the time-stamp that Oxford Rail gets a mention. I am delighted to hear that Oxford plans to keep the Rail side of the business going. I have several Oxford Rail products, locos and wagons, and like them all.  Tom

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2023 at 18:28, Mad McCann said:

Can't imagine there would be less of a market for a more generally useful crane than for a great big railgun.

That, considering it's a niche item to say the least in railway terms, seems to have been popular seller.

Davy.

I agree, although the rail gun may also have gained a few sales from crossover appeal with military modelling and history enthusiasts. It was nicely done and a bit of a bargain.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I agree, although the rail gun may also have gained a few sales from crossover appeal with military modelling and history enthusiasts. It was nicely done and a bit of a bargain.

Yes, it makes sense when you take into account that Oxford is primarily a manufacturer of model vehicles rather than model trains. The railgun fits neatly into Oxford's collection of military and historical vehicles in the Diecast range as well as the Rail range. I can easily imagine a military diorama featuring it. And I suspect that, for that reason, only Oxford could really have pulled it off, because the other model railway manufacturers don't have that existing crossover market to draw on.

The crane, on the other hand, is a purely rail item that doesn't have any particular interest to vehicle model collectors. So it won't have that crossover appeal, which may well be one of the reasons why development hasn't been a priority.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2