The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

That I can see going down like a lead balloon, and it sounds rather like a depressing swing to going extreme. I really don't think people will actually tolerate that level of restriction in this country. It's one thing to quarantine someone who's ill or might be to protect others...

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Well in France life is just about to change.  As of midnight all places where the public can assemble will be shut with the exception of food shops, chemists, medical services and the election booths tomorrow.  Restaurants, bars, clubs, other shops etc. will be closed.  Over 70s must stay at home.

Developments will surely follow.

I've just been talking to Mrs. Dave who is in France at the moment. She didn't know about the closures till I told her, apparently she saw nothing about it on French television.  She was planning on eating lunch in a restaurant, fortunately she has enough food in.  I didn't tell her about not being supposed to go out because of her age, there was nothing about that on the BBC page I saw.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave 46 said:

I've just been talking to Mrs. Dave who is in France at the moment. She didn't know about the closures till I told her, apparently she saw nothing about it on French television.  She was planning on eating lunch in a restaurant, fortunately she has enough food in.  I didn't tell her about not being supposed to go out because of her age, there was nothing about that on the BBC page I saw.

Dave

Dave you could send her this link

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-edouard-philippe-annonce-la-fermeture-des-lieux-publics-non-essentiels-14-03-2020-8280051.php

It includes a video of part of the announcement.  Timing of 20:05 means it will have missed many early evening broadcasts - perhaps deliberately.

Edit to add:

I am trying to find out whether the announcement used devoir or n'est pas permit to indicate must not.  For the non French speakers the difference is must not go out ( as in should avoid at all costs) versus are not permitted to go out.  It may seem a mute point but trust me it isn't.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That I can see going down like a lead balloon, and it sounds rather like a depressing swing to going extreme. I really don't think people will actually tolerate that level of restriction in this country. It's one thing to quarantine someone who's ill or might be to protect others...

That is the sense I get from casual conversations.  Not only might it lead to unrest, at the least to mass disobedience the policing of which would be even less acceptable, but the political unacceptability could also be Boris's downfall.  

It's not the war.  Even during the Blitz the restrictions were not that draconian.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It's not the war.  

Oh but it is.  It is a war against a virus that has the ability to turn the world up side down.  The sooner people realised this and stopped treating it like a bad case of flu, the better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

My father who is 74 with underlying health problems pointed out that there are couple of dozen or more bugs out there which could do him in and this is just another one to add to the list therefore he is not in the least bit bothered about all the fuss.

Mind you he and I both come from a dedicated line of certified workaholics and he says he has too much to be do to worry about any bugs,

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

Not sure how practical that is, but it is becoming ever more clear that where the virus does cause fatalities, the risk increases in line with age.

I think I slip under the wire as a mere stripling of 68 in fairly rude health but I've already reduced going out to indoor activities somewhat and am minimising contact with my 91-year-old mum and 86-year-old stepfather for their protection.  They, on the other hand lead what I regard as a fairly busy social life of lunches out and afternoon card playing and won't fancy it at all.   

What does bother me is the prospect of not getting my fortnight's (UK) steam railway fix, currently booked for the last week in  June/first in July.

John

• Friendly/supportive 5

It's certainly affecting us all.

I picked one twin up from Lancaster Uni today, no more lectures till (perhaps) after easter & all her studies will be on line. The other twin travels to Liverpool Uni daily and she has just received an email at 4pm this afternoon that the whole uni is closed for lectures until at least the end of this academic year. News to follow re studying on line / exams etc. Son is in the working in Democratic Republic of Congo last three weeks - coming home Friday - he's probably safer where he is !!!

All of this milarkey after someone thousands of miles away had a bowl of Bat soup !!!!!!!!!!!

The game has changed, and we don't yet know the rules.

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Oh but it is.  It is a war against a virus that has the ability to turn the world up side down.  The sooner people realised this and stopped treating it like a bad case of flu, the better.

People do realise that, but that doesn't mean they're going to support every extreme idea either. You can always kill with overkill, but beware the collateral damage.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

People do realise that, but that doesn't mean they're going to support every extreme idea either. You can always kill with overkill, but beAware the collateral damage.

I beg to differ.

There are some 15000 PSG supporters who celebrated the home side win outside an empty stadium and 3000+ Athletico Madrid supporters who travelled to Liverpool who give an immediate lie to the point that people realise the seriousness.  I still see  some people giving cheek kisses here in France and there will be thousands of other cases showing that the message just has not got through to many numpties.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

In Italy, the hospitals are doing triage on admissions. Over a certain age and with underlying conditions and you are quietly parked in a corner to await your fate as they are prioritising ventilators to those who might reasonably survive.

ive heard today that NHS are working on a similar policy for the peak infection period. The cut off age mentioned was surprisingly young.

stay safe

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Nations across the whole globe, large and small are taking drastic measures and effectively closing down normal day to day activity.

They are taking these actions in full knowledge of the significant economic and social consequences that will ensue.

Does anyone think they are doing this for fun?

Yet there are still people on here (and elsewhere) who continue to think it's a fuss over nothing and everyone is over reacting.

Beyond belief !

The PM, Boris Johnson and his government can do nothing but be guided and put their trust in the hands of the scientific and medical advisors, whether their advice is correct or not.

The same is happening in many other countries.

They have spelled it out loud and clear about what is to expected to happen.

It's only a matter of when and not if.

We all have a duty to take note of the advice, stay as calm as we can be and prepare as best we can.

Taking the line of "nobody is going to tell me what to do...." may well be seen as being not only anti-social, but as irresponsible and if the situation deteriorates to levels being seen elsewhere in Europe, possibly a danger to your fellow citizens.

• Agree 7

I posted this under the "Panic Buying" thread, but it's just been suggested on the BBC News that all over the age of seventy may be asked to self-isolate for four months - that's a long time to sit in doors. For many, food and other necessary items  can be delivered, but for many this is not an option.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I posted this under the "Panic Buying" thread, but it's just been suggested on the BBC News that all over the age of seventy may be asked to self-isolate for four months - that's a long time to sit in doors. For many, food and other necessary items  can be delivered, but for many this is not an option.

My wife spoke to her parents in Kent on the phone earlier today.

They are in their mid 80's and my father-in-law is in poor health.

They are well prepared with plenty of food and supplies, large freezers both fully stocked up and are now prepared for having to stay at home.

They have been pleased that several of their neighbours have been round and told them to ask if they need anything and not to hesitate calling if they need help.

It's good to hear that spirit of community is still around.

• Friendly/supportive 14

19 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

ive heard today that NHS are working on a similar policy for the peak infection period. The cut off age mentioned was surprisingly young

Well that's going to cheer a lot of us up :-)

Evidence ?

Stu

• Agree 2

We need leadership, a Churchill figure.

I won't diss Boris  - yet - he has his work cut out. He may, just may, be the right person at the right time.

We shall see.

Self isolation for the over 70's may save many. We need the wartime spirit to support them (and each other). Have we still got it - both as individuals and as a nation ? - The scenes at the virtually ransacked north London Tesco today shows it's not there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-uk-supermarkets-panic-buying

I'm sure all here on rmweb have such a spirit. 

Brit15

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Ironically, the people likely to be least impacted by this pandemic will be those who get the virus early, experience mild symptoms and then recover.

Knowing that you’ll inevitably have to face this devil sooner or later, I can see a lot of people just wanting to get it over and done with.  Especially if you are personally in a low risk demographic.

This really will be a test of our modern society, the governments approach is very dependent upon a sense of national collective responsibility, but the conflicting pressure for self-interest is strong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

47 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

I picked one twin up from Lancaster Uni today, no more lectures till (perhaps) after easter & all her studies will be on line. The other twin travels to Liverpool Uni daily and she has just received an email at 4pm this afternoon that the whole uni is closed for lectures until at least the end of this academic year.

I'm on the staff of Imperial College (but on the research side, so I don't do that much teaching) - we received a missive from the college president on Friday night saying that from Monday all teaching will be on line instead of the traditional lectures.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Nations across the whole globe, large and small are taking drastic measures and effectively closing down normal day to day activity.

They are taking these actions in full knowledge of the significant economic and social consequences that will ensue.

Does anyone think they are doing this for fun?

Yet there are still people on here (and elsewhere) who continue to think it's a fuss over nothing and everyone is over reacting.

Beyond belief !

No, not beyond belief. That's equating scepticism with going right to the extreme of rejecting anything that's being said. A healthy society is one that questions and does not simply obey meekly, one that makes politicians really have to make their case for their decisions. To dismiss expecting that of them as "thinking it's a fuss over nothing and everyone is over reacting" is rejecting holding them to account, particularly when the proposals are so severe and represent a very sudden change in approach (an approach that I've thought has found the right place on a difficult line so far).

You'll get the cooperation (the people who'll never pay any attention to anything notwithstanding) if you make a good enough case for it. You won't if you say "shut up and do as you're told."

Taking a deep breath though, that said I'm not clear whether the idea is to order people over 70 stay at home (how's that going to be enforced?) or to strongly recommend that they do, but they won't have the police jumping on them for getting some shopping and checking everyone's birth certificates.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Reorte said:

No, not beyond belief. That's equating scepticism with going right to the extreme of rejecting anything that's being said. A healthy society is one that questions and does not simply obey meekly, one that makes politicians really have to make their case for their decisions. To dismiss expecting that of them as "thinking it's a fuss over nothing and everyone is over reacting" is rejecting holding them to account,......

Nobody is saying we should obey meekly.

When a tsunami is rushing in and the cry is RUN, are you going to stand there arguing the toss?

As for scepticism, that needs to be tempered with the overwhelming evidence of what’s going on all around and by the information that is flowing not only from expert medical and scientific sources, but from live on the ground, happening right now experience.

This is not an academic exercise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, sharris said:

I'm on the staff of Imperial College (but on the research side, so I don't do that much teaching) - we received a missive from the college president on Friday night saying that from Monday all teaching will be on line instead of the traditional lectures.

I guess that assumes that all students have Ipads & the like and the Internet website can  handle the extra load.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Nobody is saying we should obey meekly.

When a tsunami is rushing in and the cry is RUN, are you going to stand there arguing the toss?

Depends where I'm standing, how far above the shoreline.

What do you do if someone shouts STAND! though? It might be that that's the best chance you've got, running will only make things worse, but if they've been shouting RUN so far and it still doesn't look good where you are right now?

As for scepticism, that needs to be tempered with the overwhelming evidence of what’s going on all around and by the information that is flowing not only from expert medical and scientific sources, but from live on the ground, happening right now experience.

This is not an academic exercise.

And you don't find a very sudden change of direction odd? I'll still want to hear what the experts say, why the big change of tack, and not just be told "they've said do this." You might not have five minutes with a tsnumani but we do here, even though we've not got days or weeks.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Just seen the front pages of Sunday's papers.  What a load of scare mongering over speculative nonsense!!

There's enough of that on these pages without having to turn to the Sunday papers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2