The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Is it just me that looked at those empty shop shelves and thought that if all else fails you could buy the shelves and build a cracking height adjustable exhibition layout on them ? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Seems the latest item in high demand are:

Freezers.

I don't have room for a freezer because my house is full of bog roll.

Edited by 30801

57 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

If there is a shortage of Toilet Roll I may be forced to getting a daily paper, plenty of pages of strong and absorbent.

One of the London mayoral candidates sent round their first tabloid paper sized missive yesterday. I'm saving it for toilet emergencies. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was in one of our local pubs yesterday . The landlady said that their suppliers were out of loo rolls and hand sanitizer / soap so she has had to go to local supermarkets daily but with the limitation on how many she can buy its making it difficult to make sure the toilets are kept stocked. Apparently our local large supermarket haven't had these on her more recent trips so is having to go farther away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Bees and chimpanzees ‘look after their own’. They don’t seem to threaten our position as world-dominant, though.

But do the bees and chimps know this? :D

John P

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Good advice which will you can almost guarantee will be roundly ignored by a great many people, who will put themselves and others at risk by ignoring advice to back-off on social contact when the time comes. 

Or am I too lacking in faith in my fellows?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Good advice which will you can almost guarantee will be roundly ignored by a great many people, who will put themselves and others at risk by ignoring advice to back-off on social contact when the time comes. 

Or am I too lacking in faith in my fellows?

Worked well in Italy!

• RMweb Premium

The weekly supermarket order was placed last night for delivery today.  We don't have a supermarket within walking distance, choose not to run a car (there is very little need to do so around London) and make weekly visits where we can come away with as much as we can wheel in the trolley.  Which is pretty much all the smaller stuff.  The bigger and heaviest stuff we get delivered whilst acknowledging that this contributes to atmospheric pollution.

However .....

I ordered a 9-pack of toilet rolls.  The usual brands was shown as out of stock but several alternatives were available.  I ordered one of those.  Just now I received my pre-delivery alert text which advises me that there is a substitution on the order.  The 9-pack of toilet rolls are now apparently out of stock and have been replaced by .............................. 

A 9-pack of our usual brand which was not available to order last night!!! 

In other news I counted three mask-wearers whilst at work today which is the same total as yesterday.  Not a lot when I am dealing with probably tens of thousands of people.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, kernowtim said:

My local tesco has run out of pasta, despite signs put up limiting purchases to 5 per customer,  as well as loo roll.

Our little CooP still had toilet rolls this afternoon, plenty pf pasta and rice

I guess we will have a bit of a respite until the country goes into step 2 containment. Then there will be another phase of panic buying, I guess though the supermarkets and distributors will be preparing for this event

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news I counted three mask-wearers whilst at work today which is the same total as yesterday.  Not a lot when I am dealing with probably tens of thousands of people.

How odd. Every time I see a picture on the news, everyone is wearing masks. I thought I was the only in the country not wearing one.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 57xx said:

How odd. Every time I see a picture on the news, everyone is wearing masks. I thought I was the only in the country not wearing one.

I've not seen anyone wearing one (I have on the news of course). I'm not at all persuaded that they have any real effect in stopping you catching anything, and only limited effect in preventing spreading.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 2