The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

And there were still knuckle draggers, including a few staff not wearing masks.

Worse still are the idiots who pull the masks down under their nose.

My son goes up to them and asks them if they would wear their underpants like that with their d1ck hanging over the top.

Obviously only men.

He hasn't been punched, YET!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

10 hours ago, Nick C said:

Another advantage of freezing sliced bread is that you can jsut chuck it straight into the toaster (or under the grill) from frozen - we do this a lot as we don't tend to get through a whole loaf before it goes stale.

The energy inefficiency of this always puts me off. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I usually freeze bread and, for sliced bread, bring out say half a loaf  at a time to the frig. Many Breads, especially part-baked baguettes, don't seem to like being in the freezer for more than a few weeks but German black bread (which I only eat occasionally) seems to last for months.

I'll get a frozen sliced loaf out, put a big sharp knife on top between two slices (or whatever you need) and give the top of the knife a whack with my hand - slices come away from the rest of the loaf no problem.  That way you only need defrost what you need immediately.

11 hours ago, fezza said:

I noticed people buying suspicious amounts of toilet roll in trolleys again. 

Serious question: if you are that worried about the cleanliness of that part of you anatomy, why not install a bidet? Why are these almost non existent in UK bathrooms but universal in just about every other European country? And does this explain Brexit??! 

Wash & Dry bog seat for standard loo's:

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/smart-bidet-toilet-seat-tsb003?campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoLiBlP-E7AIVwp13Ch1Z0gmvEAQYAyABEgIxbvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(Example picked at random)

Wash (front or rear), adjustable pressure, oscillating wash, heated seat, blow dry......

Great fun - I had a wail of a time experimenting with them when working in S. Korea last year.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andytrains said:

How the F.. did we get onto Bidets and Hotels.

Far prefer proper bog paper, if you can get it, now.

Went to Asda earlier and it looked like a plague of locusts had gone through the T paper aisle.

Loads of Pasta and Flour, but the beer aisle was quite sparse.

The first sign I saw of renewed panic buying was a front page newspaper headline - the same paper has now followed up this story with a second front page story.  So...why would a newspaper - and newspaper sales have been declining - want to publish stories that (possibly) lead to a shortage of toilet paper?  How is that going to increase newspaper sales?  I wonder...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

If someone wants to sit at home surrounded by toilet roll and pasta then that's frustrating enough but I hope we don't see overflowing food recycling bins again in a few weeks time when all the hoarded uneaten food starts to go off.

I think I'm going to get even more angry at panic buyers this time around, if they didn't learn from the first time then it shows just how selfish/stupid they are.:mad:

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Binky said:

If someone wants to sit at home surrounded by toilet roll and pasta then that's frustrating enough but I hope we don't see overflowing food recycling bins again in a few weeks time when all the hoarded uneaten food starts to go off.

I think I'm going to get even more angry at panic buyers this time around, if they didn't learn from the first time then it shows just how selfish/stupid they are.:mad:

Years ago when we were having a kitchen replaced and extension we used to pop around ASDA some evenings to the restaurant for simple meal with the kids, usually it was Pizza.....on Wednesday it was an “eat all you can” evening, we had what we normally ate but the kids had plenty of milk shake as I recall....but one Wednesday we saw a family of four at another table finish off their meal and then go up to the counter and load up the plates again with just as much, five minutes later they left the restaurant with their plates still full of the extra food remaining on the table, such a waste and the same mindset, it’s there so I’m having it and sod the rest........absolute morons, and most likely they are stock piling as I write.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Years ago when we were having a kitchen replaced and extension we used to pop around ASDA some evenings to the restaurant for simple meal with the kids, usually it was Pizza.....on Wednesday it was an “eat all you can” evening, we had what we normally ate but the kids had plenty of milk shake as I recall....but one Wednesday we saw a family of four at another table finish off their meal and then go up to the counter and load up the plates again with just as much, five minutes later they left the restaurant with their plates still full of the extra food remaining on the table, such a waste and the same mindset, it’s there so I’m having it and sod the rest........absolute morons, and most likely they are stock piling as I write.

I once worked with a guy who'd lived in Japan with his Japanese girlfriend. He said there were drinks vending machines that would sell different size cans for the same price. People would happily only buy the amount of drink they felt they needed. Only a little bit thirsty on your way to work? Just buy a small can.

We both agreed that it wouldn't work over here. People would buy as much drink as they could if it was the same price then throw the can away half full when they'd had enough!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

16 hours ago, polybear said:

Wash & Dry bog seat for standard loo's:

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/smart-bidet-toilet-seat-tsb003?campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoLiBlP-E7AIVwp13Ch1Z0gmvEAQYAyABEgIxbvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(Example picked at random)

Wash (front or rear), adjustable pressure, oscillating wash, heated seat, blow dry......

Amazing!

The Smart Seat is also an ideal solution for less abled users as it is accompanied with a sleek easy to use control panel.

though I feel that the STOP button should be a bit larger.

What perturbs me is the "Pulsating massage function"...

"Why are you taking so long in the loo, dear"?

"Ahh..hh....."

:crazy:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Whilst I find the mindset a bit weird, I don't complain about it too much. Back when I was at my most broke, folk abandoning largely untouched plates of food was what kept me from starvation. Indeed, I ate quite well on other people's leftovers. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Popped in to my local Morrisons today: no sign of any unusual depletion of stocks.  Maybe folks in Scotland work on the basis that St Nicola has everything under control?

40 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Edinburgh Park , B&Q had a queue to get in earlier today a thing that I thought was history!

The B&Q queue might have been more to do with more people actually working during the week as lockdown has gradually eased, and having to do their DIY shopping at the weekend (plus it's start of a busy time for gardeners at this time of year, preparing to get things ready for winter).  Certainly the supermarkets seem noticeably busier at the weekends than during the week these days.  AFAIK the shops still have to monitor and limit numbers inside.  In fact, now I come to think, I believe that I did have to wait a minute or two to get in to that B&Q last Sunday when I popped in for a new wheel for my wheelbarrow.  It's Hermiston Gait, by the way (it even says so in the receipt), not Edinburgh Park - that's the business park, don't you know, literally on the other side of the tracks - both tram and railway.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

no sign of any unusual depletion of stocks

Sadly, panic-buying seems to have started again here in North Somerset - and we're not under any special restrictions.  Late this afternoon, local Tesco shelves were empty of large packs of bog-rolls, only a few packs of 9, 8, and 4-packs left .  But earlier in the week, there was an offer on 24-packs!

I can't help feeling that supermarkets' action in placing a limit on purchases is a self-fulfilling prophecy...

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2020 at 09:31, Binky said:

it shows just how selfish/stupid they are

I've always thought we must have the biggest gap between perceived intelligence (best education system in the world etc) and reality.

Then I read somewhere that in a survey, only 2% rated themselves below average!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

I can't help feeling that supermarkets' action in placing a limit on purchases is a self-fulfilling prophecy...

There will always be a few imbeciles who will clear the shelves as soon as 'lock-down' is mentioned on the TV - and then the shops would be blamed for allowing them to do so.

Damned if they do; damned if they don't.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Then I read somewhere that in a survey, only 2% rated themselves below average!

Did that take account of the number who could not understand the survey questions? :jester:

Edited by teaky
  • Funny 3

Apart from the reported restrictions on some purchases nothing has so far changed at the store where I work. There have been no queues or one way systems re-introduced - yet, and I am not aware of any shortages (other than the usual reason of a delayed delivery lorry)

A number of the additional and temporary staff taken on earlier have left, some back to their former jobs.

There have however been at least a dozen new recruits taken on this week that I am aware of, perhaps HQ know something I don't!

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Saw a couple with 48 loo rolls in their trolley in Sainsburys yesterday - must pick up some leaflets from the local medial centre on services offered and drop them in such trolleys as if not panic buying they plainly need medical attention,

I usually by in bulk, 48 rolls being the norm.

It's when you see six or more 24 packs in a trolley that you begin to wonder.

I went out yesterday, my choice of Iceland (I know!!) had nothing in stock but next door home bargains seemed to have lots of 24 packs. As we've gone off the ones in Home Bargains I decided I'd wait till later in the week to pick some up as I still have stocks remaining at home.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Loo paper

There is no shortage of it so why panic buy?

But then it is one of those things you should keep in stock, no shelf life worries so say a 24 pack in use and a 24 pack in reserve would be fine (what we do). I remember on panic one we we were fine without buying toilet paper for over a month.

We buy a pack when in use pack is getting low so never go below 30 rolls.

if everyone did this there would have been no panic buying.

We work on the following, what would happen if we could not go out for a month (like when I broke an ankle), just keep up certain staples and rotate them.

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MJI said:

Loo paper

There is no shortage of it so why panic buy?

But then it is one of those things you should keep in stock, no shelf life worries so say a 24 pack in use and a 24 pack in reserve would be fine (what we do). I remember on panic one we we were fine without buying toilet paper for over a month.

We buy a pack when in use pack is getting low so never go below 30 rolls.

if everyone did this there would have been no panic buying.

We work on the following, what would happen if we could not go out for a month (like when I broke an ankle), just keep up certain staples and rotate them.

We buy a particular brand of 16 packs when they are reduced in price - two packs at a time and most likely on several occasions over a week or two if the reduction lasts that long.  Hence we build up a reasonable stock at the reduced pice then don't buy once the price goes back up, we just wait for the next reduction.   The process went a bit awry during the March panic buying season and might go awry again this time round but we do have a reserve stock of various other brands although that has gradually been rundown.   I like to keep a minimum stock of =100 toilet rolls but at times over the years good price reductions have pushed it much higher than that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2