The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't forget to panic buy your toilet rolls if you're going for the vindaloo!

And a fridge to put the loo roll in! Sellers of white goods e.g. fridges and freezers did a roaring trade last year thanks to the selfish idiots.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Right then.

It's nearly 5:30 and I fancy panic buying a take-away curry tonight.

Mrs Ron is on-board with this plan.

I hope that doesn't start a mad, mass dash to the Tandoori.

Don't all rush at once.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Well, I guess it's either that or an economy-size pack of Loperamide.

Huw.

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Alexander Mercouris operates as part of Sputnik's corrosive disinformation programme.

A lot of truths and factual analysis, used to back up an agenda of disinformation, with particular aims in mind.

Hi Ron,

Surely, only the goons that trust the BBC wouldn't know that ?

Gibbo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Panic buying or Fear of Missing Out!

You decide?

On the local TV news everyone queueing for petrol had a valid reason (healthcare/carer, taking relative to hospital, work commute, etc). All of us here on RMweb know the panic buyers are 'someone else' but not us.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Ron,

Surely, only the goons that trust the BBC wouldn't know that ?

Gibbo.

Another ridiculous comment means you are removed from yet another topic.

• Round of applause 4

21 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here Is Alexander Mercouris explaining it all to much greater detail than I am able to:

Gibbo.

He doesn't sound very trustworthy....

https://www.legalcheek.com/2017/07/barrister-who-was-disbarred-after-forging-lady-hale-letter-sued-for-200000-by-ex-client/

As for panic buying, I was up in London last week and the Waitrose in N8 didn't seem to have any empty shelves or shortages. The petrol stations in London certainly did.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

Panic buyers.   Why? Why?  Oh why?

I was in the supermarket today.    A woman was buying pancake mix!     She bought a dozen eggs,  six pints of milk  and a bag of flour.

Rediculous!!!

I just hope all this stuff was for making pancakes.

In previous years, some shops have refused to sell stuff like this to teenagers during October.

I suspect that there might have been fears that some of this stuff might get "weaponized" for Halloween.

The police sometimes appear to think so - it hasn't been unknown for them to have posters printed, strongly suggesting that they'd really prefer it if people treat this stuff as baking ingredients.

Huw.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

suspect that there might have been fears that some of this stuff might get "weaponized" for Halloween.

Surprised Mrs Y hasn't been taken in by the Feds for excessive baking today, 3 Christmas cakes, oatcakes and a stock of Yorkshire Pudding snacks. Mention of the middle one may cause one of my colleagues to find an excuse to come over to film something.

• Funny 3

Few daily or frequent drivers, drive other than from necessity. I typically drive round trips of 170-200 miles, 2 or 3 times a week at present. That means I get two trips reliably, three trips and I'm uncomfortably close to an empty tank or an airlock.  Also I'm reluctant to set out on a trip unless I'm fully fuelled for it, in present circumstances. This means that whereas normally I fill up about once a week, I'm now filling up two or three times and driving round with more in the tank than usual. Most of my colleagues are doing the same. Given that RAC etc will neither bring fuel nor recover if I run out, I don't see any option. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't worry, Mrs Ron went to our local  Macro cash-n-carry this afternoon and stocked up.

4 packs of 24 rolls

I can graduate to a Phall now, without worry.

No bog-off this time round, which is a bit cr*p.

p.s. As I've mentioned previously, we've been bulk buying kitchen roll, toilet roll, tissues, washing detergent sachets and softener and a few other items, for probably getting on for 20 years now.

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Amateurs! The only curry worth eating is a good Vindaloo - and no, I don't have Johnny Cash singing away later...

...but I digress :P

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Surprised Mrs Y hasn't been taken in by the Feds for excessive baking today, 3 Christmas cakes, oatcakes and a stock of Yorkshire Pudding snacks. Mention of the middle one may cause one of my colleagues to find an excuse to come over to film something.

Yorkshire pudding snacks, that sounds interesting. Personally I like golden syrup over them

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Yorkshire pudding snacks, that sounds interesting

Mini puddings with cocktail sausages, stuffing and cranberry sauce. :o

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Don't worry, Mrs Ron went to our local  Macro cash-n-carry this afternoon and stocked up.

4 packs of 24 rolls

I can graduate to a Phall now, without worry.

No bog-off this time round, which is a bit cr*p.

p.s. As I've mentioned previously, we've been bulk buying kitchen roll, toilet roll, tissues, washing detergent sachets and softener and a few other items, for probably getting on for 20 years now.

So you  have been panic buying for two decades. What do you know that the rest of the world doesn't?

• Funny 7

Prices prices  !! Up Up Up .My wife fancied a seat come gazebo thingy .500 quid .Hesitated a month while I sorted out  some new fencing and generally made  good the area .Its now 750  squids .Wife  has now canceled  it amid fairly strong lanquage for her "gosh ,good grief ,blow that" etc .I am very relieved .It looked humungeously heavy  to lug  down the garden and build .A rustic bench and arbour  ordered ,much cheaper and lighter .Phew,saved by price  inflation.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

Not really a "panic buying" story, but I do find that the persistence of WFH is a great hindrance. I'm presently trying to clear my desk for a change of job, and both old and new jobs are at least a week behind where I'd normally expect to be. I don't submit notice until I receive confirmation of offer, and if it wasn't that my old job is expiring anyway I  would be at least a month off the pace by now - I'm presently  on course to receive confirmation of offer mid-way through the week before start date and there will be items I'm meant to complete before leaving, which won't even be started. 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, friscopete said:

Prices prices  !! Up Up Up .My wife fancied a seat come gazebo thingy .500 quid .Hesitated a month while I sorted out  some new fencing and generally made  good the area .Its now 750  squids .Wife  has now canceled  it amid fairly strong lanquage for her "gosh ,good grief ,blow that" etc .I am very relieved .It looked humungeously heavy  to lug  down the garden and build .A rustic bench and arbour  ordered ,much cheaper and lighter .Phew,saved by price  inflation.

The wholesale price of timber (and most building materials) has shot up over the past year, granted your gazebo was most likely the very same item sitting in the shop but I guess if the RRP goes up while it’s waiting there……

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

The wholesale price of timber (and most building materials) has shot up over the past year, granted your gazebo was most likely the very same item sitting in the shop but I guess if the RRP goes up while it’s waiting there……

A good friend of mine does a lot of work building bespoke decking - yes, timber costs have indeed gone stratospheric. Supply issues? Possibly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, MarkC said:

A good friend of mine does a lot of work building bespoke decking - yes, timber costs have indeed gone stratospheric. Supply issues? Possibly.

It apparently all stemmed from supply issues at the timber yards and the need for social distancing, at least that’s what our local timber yard (a real one that actually machines tree lumber) passed on to its customers.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I don't submit notice until I receive confirmation of offer

Very wise.

I had a colleague who got a better offer from a competitor firm and he told the boss what he thought of him.

Then he had the medical which showed traces of blood in his urine.  Fortunately further tests proved OK, but in the meantime when somebody asked "What's wrong with Iain?", one of my colleagues said "He's p*ssing blood and Sh*tting bricks" . 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, MarkC said:

There have been global issues with timber markets and prices are said to have reached record levels earlier this year.

It has been spurred on by high demand in the US, because of the backlog caused by COVID has led to a building boom, resulting in shortages.

Russia has also been holding back on supplies, according to one report I’ve read.

• Informative/Useful 2