The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

You might have thought it reasonable that this be included in the reconstruction of the port, not so long ago? 

It was, but they conveniently ignored that fact, other than the shortish extension of double track at the Trimley end - The double track was supposed to extend at least as far as near where Orwell Station used to be at Nacton, if not as far as Warren Heath or Derby Road.   The only structure on the line that will not take double track is Spring Road viaduct in Ipswich, and the two "recent" bridges (ie in the last 40 years..) over the A14 and Ransomes Way had abutments constructed that were convertible to take double track bridge decks.

If it hadn't been for WW2, the line was proposed for doubling as far back as 1938 !

EDIT: Just checked the 2008 edition of my Felixstowe Branch booklet and the line was supposed to be doubled between MP 78.5 and Trimley, as stated in the December 2005 T&W Order application by the Port of Felixstowe. They had dropped the Warren Heath to MP 78.5 section to save money on widening the bridge deck over the A14...

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Extra info added
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

It was, but they conveniently ignored that fact, other than the shortish extension of double track at the Trimley end - The double track was supposed to extend at least as far as near where Orwell Station used to be at Nacton, if not as far as Warren Heath or Derby Road.   The only structure on the line that will not take double track is Spring Road viaduct in Ipswich, and the two "recent" bridges (ie in the last 40 years..) over the A14 and Ransomes Way had abutments constructed that were convertible to take double track bridge decks.

If it hadn't been for WW2, the line was proposed for doubling as far back as 1938 !

It could also be mentioned that for every container that passes through the port it charges a "Port Infrastructure" fee which is meant to contribute to infrastructure improvements like doubling the branch.....

They've been charging this fee for quite a few years now!

Edited by admiles
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

They say that some Antwerp traffic is having to be diverted to Zeebrugge.

The container berths either side of the river dock that has the new lock into the Kallo Dock basin were very busy last week, when I last sailed from Antwerp, as were the river berths for the behemoths which are close to the Zandvliet & Berendrecht locks. I'll be there again on the 21st, so will see if it's still manic with box boats & their movements.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

EDIT: Just checked the 2008 edition of my Felixstowe Branch booklet and the line was supposed to be doubled between MP 78.5 and Trimley, as stated in the December 2005 T&W Order application by the Port of Felixstowe. They had dropped the Warren Heath to MP 78.5 section to save money on widening the bridge deck over the A14...

I had noticed the convertible abutments while down here in Ipswich and wondered what they were for

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, admiles said:

It could also be mentioned that for every container that passes through the port it charges a "Port Infrastructure" fee which is meant to contribute to infrastructure improvements like doubling the branch.....

They've been charging this fee for quite a few years now!

This doesn't particularly surprise me, Norwich Airport did something similar for many years and probably still do

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Has there been a rush on cocktail sticks by any chance?  None to be found anywhere except poncey bamboo ones from Waitrose at £1.25 a pop! :O  I normally pay about 20p a pack!!!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Has there been a rush on cocktail sticks by any chance?  None to be found anywhere except poncey bamboo ones from Waitrose at £1.25 a pop! :O  I normally pay about 20p a pack!!!

Further up I did mention the shortage of timber :lol:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

There are two distribution bottlenecks - from ship to railhead, and from railhead to the complex of distribution centres between Daventry and Coventry known as the "Golden Triangle". Our major container ports were built without rail provision, and now we are living with the results. 

They do have rail connections but Tilbury and to a lesser extent Felixstowe have to share the rails with intensive commuter services.

On 13/10/2021 at 21:05, PhilJ W said:

They do have rail connections but Tilbury and to a lesser extent Felixstowe have to share the rails with intensive commuter services.

The Felixstowe - Ipswich service is hourly between 5:30 and 23:30, not really that intensive. According to the Port website there are 74 - 76 freight movements per day so a total of about 100  trains per day.

In 2019 a Network Rail project - a 1.4km passing loop between Trimley and Nacton - was finished  but to my knowledge no further work has been done to increase the capacity of the mainly single track line.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The Felixstowe - Ipswich service is hourly between 5:30 and 23:30, not really that intensive. According to the Port website there are 74 - 76 freight movements per day so a total of about 100  trains per day.

In 2019 a Network Rail project - a 1.4km passing loop between Trimley and Nacton - was finished  but to my knowledge no further work has been done to increase the capacity of the mainly single track line.

It seems ridiculous that millions have been spent on widening the A13 to give better road access to the new Europort when rail access improvements would cost far less. The installation of container handling facilities at Ripple Lane would also help to relieve congestion at both Europort and Tilbury.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It seems ridiculous that millions have been spent on widening the A13 to give better road access to the new Europort when rail access improvements would cost far less. The installation of container handling facilities at Ripple Lane would also help to relieve congestion at both Europort and Tilbury.

I thought there were container/ swap body-handling facilities at Ripple Lane, operated by Stobart? I certainly remember them being used for the China- UK trials, and for a fruit & veg services to and from Spain.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 18:21, 30801 said:

Toys next.....

That might be bit close to home for members of this forum.

Big boys toys and all that.

Mmmm?

I'm not after anything in particular at the moment, but I might just stock up on as much RTR as I can...just in case like. :angel:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I thought there were container/ swap body-handling facilities at Ripple Lane, operated by Stobart? I certainly remember them being used for the China- UK trials, and for a fruit & veg services to and from Spain.

Thats only a small part of the site, there's room for a lot more facilities (unless its been sold off to build more houses that no one can afford). I think the swap body facilities were something to do with Fords.

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats only a small part of the site, there's room for a lot more facilities (unless its been sold off to build more houses that no one can afford). I think the swap body facilities were something to do with Fords.

Ford has still got a limited swap-boy service between Dagenham and Almusafes, but the spare space on the train is used by Transfesa and Stobart for perishables traffic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The more shortages at McDonalds, the better!

WHy?

Is it because they sell the best coffee at half the price of the gucci latte spots?

Or the fact that they sell consistent quality grub, that isn't dressed up like a fashion statement?

Their drive-thru service is far superior to paying for parking, then having to walk through the covid-zone and sit in amongst the super-spreaders trying to look like a sophisticate?

Or is it that they power their delivery lorries on the spent cooking oil?

Rather than paying lip service toso-called Eco-credentials?

My only complaint is, the drive-thru order points are all on the right side  of any vehicle.....

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

WHy?

Is it because they sell the best coffee at half the price of the gucci latte spots?

Or the fact that they sell consistent quality grub, that isn't dressed up like a fashion statement?

Their drive-thru service is far superior to paying for parking, then having to walk through the covid-zone and sit in amongst the super-spreaders trying to look like a sophisticate?

My only complaint is, the drive-thru order points are all on the right side  of any vehicle.....

Not meaning to be rude or offensive in any way, but you don't happen to be a F*t B****rd  by any chance?

p.s. For the hard of thinking, this meant to be a friendly joke, not a dig at alastairq.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Funny 6

28 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not meaning to be rude or offensive in any way, but you don't happen to be a F*t B****rd  by any chance?

Erm ..Nope?

Why is there a presumption that folk who drink Maccydees coffee, and sometimes eat maybe a small double cheeseburger, or a Sausage & egg Mcmuffin, are going to be [any fatter?] larger than those who eat the pet rabbit's dinner?

At least I don't pay for the gratification of being seen somewhere like Pret a Manger?

I prefer to only pay for the food, not the ambience or kudos....I leave that to those who have so much surplus cash, they don't know what to do with it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

WHy?

Well, point by point.

• I rarely buy prepared coffee from coffee shops of any description, McDonalds or "gucci latte spots".
  • That you know what you'll get at a McDonalds anywhere in the UK isn't a recommendation. A "consistent quality" can be a good or bad thing.
  • "drive-thru"? Consume in the car and stink the place out, park somewhere else and leave the discarded packaging blowing in the wind, or take it home and eat it colder?
  • One of the most repulsive things is to drive behind a vehicle powered by recycled cooking oil,following the wake of an apparently mobile chippie.

Then there is the clamour of brainwashed children wanting to be taken to a McDonalds, and the drifts of takeaway detritus left by their consumers.

Homogenised chain-feeding-stations are a destroyer of diversity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5