The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Killybegs said:

As of this morning, the Garda (Police) have been manning road blocks around the country and turning back anyone who had no valid reason to be travelling. This includes the two main crossing points between NI and Donegal and will hopefully stop the Easter exodus to second homes. The two or three back roads crossing the border could get fairly busy. There have been reports of people travelling in the middle of the night earlier in the week to avoid attracting attention.

Police were doing the same down here on the A30 and A38 a few weeks ago, and I expect they will be out again for the Easter break to turn ignorant SI breakers back home hopefully, it is a bit of a double edged sword this virus, we are going to have Summer in a beautifully empty Cornwall and we cannot take advantage.....oh well, all in that boat together.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

we are going to have Summer in a beautifully empty Cornwall and we cannot take advantage.....oh well, all in that boat together.

Been feeling the toll of it of late - haven't had much sleep for the last 3 nights, was up at 05:00 today (03:00 yesterday, 02:00 the night before) and took Madame her cup of tea in bed at 07:00, "why don't you have a lie down? It's not like you've got anything to get up for..." she said. I've only just now woken up again to an absolutely glorious day here on the Wiltshire-Dorset borders feeling totally refreshed, full of vim and vigour and with a cup of tea and a hot buttered crumpet am looking forward to a day replete with modelling and gardening possibilities. :^)

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

with a cup of tea and a hot buttered crumpet am looking forward to a day replete with modelling and gardening possibilities. :^)

Sounds good to me, but honestly....buttered crumpets for breakfast.....no,no,no :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Sounds good to me, but honestly....buttered crumpets for breakfast.....no,no,no :lol:

Put a poached egg on the crumpets and they are great anytime of day. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Been feeling the toll of it of late - haven't had much sleep for the last 3 nights, was up at 05:00 today (03:00 yesterday, 02:00 the night before) and took Madame her cup of tea in bed at 07:00, "why don't you have a lie down? It's not like you've got anything to get up for..." she said. I've only just now woken up again to an absolutely glorious day here on the Wiltshire-Dorset borders feeling totally refreshed, full of vim and vigour and with a cup of tea and a hot buttered crumpet am looking forward to a day replete with modelling and gardening possibilities. :^)

Glad you had that refreshing sleep; works wonders. Anyway, waking in the night is quite common in many circumstances  as you probably know? Many moons ago I was given a little exercise by 'someone that knows' about these things. You try to adjust your position for a more relaxed 'lie'. Then you 'focus' your closed eyes right in front of your face as if looking at a page of paper, create a square in which numbers will go from  1 to 10 across a top line of squares and then 11 to twenty on the second line and so on until there is a 100 square of squares. Do not fill in the numbers until you have 100 small squares. Then you begin to fill in the numbers in your head, filling each square as if writing then in chalk on an old Blackboard. If you get to the 100 square you then return to the 1 and gently rub that out, then the 2 and so on. You really have to focus on every number. If you are still awake at 100, guess what...….yup, return to writing them from 1. Sounds weird and not far from counting Sheep, but it really can work. Wearing ear plugs can help too!!!!!!

Good luck.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Crumpet is crumpet. Buttering is an option but not the one I would choose. 

Careful!!!!! Some sort of minimum spread of a beautiful perfumed Oil can be ……….. inetersting!

ATB

Bon Chance

Phil

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Ohhhh. Whipped cream... ;)

Well, the late, lamented Mrs OD Mk 1 had a selection of whips, but purely as part of owning horses. The current Mrs OD (Ashcombe) has high heels, black elbow gloves and a Cruella wig - but then she is an amateur actress. Since we are currently stuck on opposite sides of the Channel, even seeing each other is a forlorn hope right now....... 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what's going on here?

An RAF Globemaster ZZ171 has taken off from Brize Norton and done several low level circuits around Exeter Airport before flying to Birmingham and doing the same:

1280155151_planeflight1.JPG.2fc54f141279a6f5b5be1aa082fb73c1.JPG

It's now on it's way back to Brize.

Where it is now doing the same.

EDIT updated

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, melmerby said:

An RAF Globemaster ZZ171 has taken off from Brize Norton and done several low level circuits around Exeter Airport before flying to Birmingham and doing the same:218515817_planeflight.JPG.ca868516dafecf183df4dd99d05bcfc1.JPG

I'd like to suggest, in 'normal' times, some sort of covert exercise. However, I believe they are taking advantage of the lack of traffic to do crew training over Airports that might need to be used in 'emergency situations'. I think they will be up at Finningly again soon, but lots of planes seem to come to this area to do circuits as it is one of the longest runways and not that busy even at peak times. These big planes could be useful to transport supplies and or equipment to certain areas, maybe even personnel during these times?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'd like to suggest, in 'normal' times, some sort of covert exercise. However, I believe they are taking advantage of the lack of traffic to do crew training over Airports that might need to be used in 'emergency situations'. I think they will be up at Finningly again soon, but lots of planes seem to come to this area to do circuits as it is one of the longest runways and not that busy even at peak times. These big planes could be useful to transport supplies and or equipment to certain areas, maybe even personnel during these times?

Phil

It seems to be doing a series of low (1250') and very low level (25') passes over the runways with approaches from different directions at different speeds.

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, melmerby said:

An RAF Globemaster ZZ171 has taken off from Brize Norton and done several low level circuits around Exeter Airport before flying to Birmingham and doing the same:

EDIT updated

C130 was doing similar a few days ago but went down past Lands End pottered around a few other oddities and back to Brize..........taking advantage of traffic clear skies for a bit of training most likely, no tin foil hat needed.....hopefully.

edit...then again....those two destinations will have the new Nightingale Centres.......ohhhhhhhh :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

edit...then again....those two destinations will have the new Nightingale Centres.......ohhhhhhhh :lol:

That's what I was wondering. The NEC Nightingale will be open in a couple of days.

• RMweb Premium

Just had news which brought it too close to home, our oldest friends of over 45 years have just told us their next door neighbour died this morning at home, full blues and twos etc etc.....he was younger than us, but had been working hard for the past two weeks trying to keep a maintenance business running after some of his employees went off sick......really quite upset.

Keep safe, keep away......

• Friendly/supportive 15

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

EDIT updated

Just pilot training and familiarisation.  A pilot new to the aircraft type will be practicing the handling of the type and that includes flying to other Fields, which look different and have different procedures. It will also include the airways and area radar to get from one Field to the next.  In addition to the conversion training, the fully qualified pilots will fly sorties very similar to those, just to practice the skills.  All perfectly normal activity, regardless of civil airline activity.  We like our Royal Air Force to be good at what they do - and that needs constant practice, which is why they are so very good.  When you see them pass close overhead, give them a wave, they can see you very well from up there and will appreciate the gesture.

Julian

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Butter and Marmite, both spread on when still good and hot so they melt into the little holes....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Just pilot training and familiarisation.  A pilot new to the aircraft type will be practicing the handling of the type and that includes flying to other Fields, which look different and have different procedures. It will also include the airways and area radar to get from one Field to the next.  In addition to the conversion training, the fully qualified pilots will fly sorties very similar to those, just to practice the skills.  All perfectly normal activity, regardless of civil airline activity.  We like our Royal Air Force to be good at what they do - and that needs constant practice, which is why they are so very good.  When you see them pass close overhead, give them a wave, they can see you very well from up there and will appreciate the gesture.

Julian

Now you’ve spoilt a conspiracy theory for thousands of people :lol:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3