The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

6 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Called the doctors this morning to try and find out whether I should self isolate or not. The only response I got was that they are sending out the letters this week, so I will need to wait and see if one drops on my mat. I am kinda hoping on the one hand but on the other, I’m locked away for 12 weeks!

I don't want to put on a damp blanket on things, but with the current climate of food deliverys, self isolation is going to be impossible for me unless my local supermarkets get things fixed pdq.

I'm 66 and have chronic COPD, plus mild diabetus 2...I'm rather annoyed as vunerable as I am I still have to go out too shop for supplys, thats if there are any. But keeping my hopes up and trying not to imagine myself as being a drain circler..lol Actually, on thinking further on, I have no right to expect any special baby sitting really, just take my chances with the rest of you who have to carry on regardless!

Stay well all.

Roger

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

The sun is shining, I am more cheerful and the sleep apnoea machine is working.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea a few years ago and given a C-PAP machine. I couldn't believe the difference it made. If I fall asleep without it now I toss and turn and wake myself continually. It's a fantastic and genuinely life changing piece of kit.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, StevieD71 said:

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea a few years ago and given a C-PAP machine. I couldn't believe the difference it made. If I fall asleep without it now I toss and turn and wake myself continually. It's a fantastic and genuinely life changing piece of kit.

Me being cheerful feels bizarre but I now have a machine set to 14.4 and will see how it goes. Thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neil said:

One benefit of lock-down at Fortress Rushby has been an improvement in my diet. I've realised that in the past I would tend to overeat because there was an abundance of nosh in the cupboards and I could easily pop out to the shops to top up. Though we're far from starving, with deliveries few and far between, we need to be careful and this has been the motivation to avoid pigging out. The scales have indicated that movement is heading in the right direction, Mrs R says that a toned Adonis is still some way off.

Same here, amazingly I have lost 3.5 lbs since last week.......been trying for months at a NHS WW program (rubbish) for my “pre diabetic” warning.......but at 3.5 lb a week I will have disappeared long before COVID-19 gets me :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, midlands said:

I don't want to put on a damp blanket on things, but with the current climate of food deliverys, self isolation is going to be impossible for me unless my local supermarkets get things fixed pdq.

Stay well all.

Roger

From what I saw they are slowly getting back to normal

I went to a Sainsbury's during oldies (& vunerables it said on the tannoy) hour and most things were in stock.

Fruit and veg fully stocked, meat was reasonable milk also. UHT was low but they still had some,  pasta and rice were pretty thin, although I did get a kilo of dry penne and a kilo of brown basmati, tinned foods were very low and no paper products at all.

If you have enough bog roll you should be able to get most other things

My mood has improved somewhat today, now for some gardening.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I might get some UHT milk (if there is any) on my next supermarket excursion. It would make self-isolation much easier.

But, back in the day when I last tried it, I could not drink UK UHT milk. It had a strange nutty flavour. Is this still the case? No problems with French UHT which is the default when I am there. 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, midlands said:

Er, ok am I missing something here? Self Isolation...far as I recall means stopping in home and not going out...that possibly include hanging out with the nice folk down at the local shops?

Roger

Absolute self isolation is as you describe, social distancing doesn’t mean being locked away in one room. Not everyone can get food or medical deliveries and I am now on a pavement waiting to get into my chemist to pick up my monthly prescription!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

From what I saw they are slowly getting back to normal

I went to a Sainsbury's during oldies (& vunerables it said on the tannoy) hour and most things were in stock.

Fruit and veg fully stocked, meat was reasonable milk also. UHT was low but they still had some,  pasta and rice were pretty thin, although I did get a kilo of dry penne and a kilo of brown basmati, tinned foods were very low and no paper products at all.

If you have enough bog roll you should be able to get most other things

My mood has improved somewhat today, now for some gardening.

It was always going to take a while for the stocks to recover from the initial wave of panic buying.

It would not be economical for any supplier to run at 50% capacity so they can't simply double production. Now most of the panic buyers have stocked up, purchasing should ease off, at least a little.

Some things which I have not seen recommended but seem sensible:

Avoid alcohol. It may give you a nice feeling but if we're honest, it is bad for the body & also makes you eat more. I like a beer or a measure of single malt, but they can keep.

Be honest with yourself. Can you manage with a little less food? I am fitter than the average person but if I'm stuck at home, I will be using less calories than otherwise, so I can manage with portions 10-20% smaller, which will make food last a little longer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, midlands said:

Er, ok am I missing something here? Self Isolation...far as I recall means stopping in home and not going out...that possibly include hanging out with the nice folk down at the local shops?

Roger

Shopping is excluded as many can't get food otherwise.  Just keep 2 metres from anyone else.

In Sainsburys people were doing that, less so in Aldi such that I had to warn off a chap that wanted to talk to me about the lack of fresh meat.

Food takeaways are AFAIK also not included, but most either do home deliveries anyway or use Just Eat/Uber/Deliveroo et al.

It's going to take a while for the home delivery services to expand to the new demand level.

• Like 1

My car will be due for MOT shortly. Although testing for hgv and buses has been suspended for three months no such provision has been made for cars. There is a fine up to £1000 for not having a current MOT certificate.  As we are now on twelve weeks lockdown, how are we supposed to get cars MOT'd safely?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

My car will be due for MOT shortly. Although testing for hgv and buses has been suspended for three months no such provision has been made for cars. There is a fine up to £1000 for not having a current MOT certificate.  As we are now on twelve weeks lockdown, how are we supposed to get cars MOT'd safely?

As I understand it Geoff, your vehicle can be driven to a test station for a pre-booked test without it being taxed (therefore strictly legal). Such a dispensation should therefore mean that someone else could take the car to that appointment on your behalf. If the vehicle fails, the situation remains the same as prior to your isolation - you can instruct the test station to do the work or you can remove it to your home or a repair business. If you are in lock-down for twelve weeks, you would not be using the vehicle and a recorded letter to teh DVLA explaining your situation should clear you from a prosecution IF you had to park your vehicle on the public highway during that time. That does of course imply that bureaucrats can act in a sensible manner, let us hope that is the case.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I reckon as of Thursday we will all be isolated except for food shops.

Legislation going through unopposed, will be signed into law on Thursday.

The orderly shut down of department stores and large fast food organisations is further evidence I believe.

It needs to happen, people are still blase about all this, as someone with a great belief in personal liberty I can't believe I am saying this but we need protecting from ourselves.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

That does of course imply that bureaucrats can act in a sensible manner, let us hope that is the case.

"bureaucrats" and "act in a sensible manner" are not usual in the same sentence but I did see a flock of pigs flying around earlier so you may be in luck.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

There are signs that communities are getting organised. Here in mid Wales I've just received notification that a scheme has been set up where volunteers offer shopping services, friendly chat or advice and practical help such as dog walking. This is a very recent development, it may well be that those in other areas where no help has yet been forthcoming will find these sort of start ups happening. Local councils or MP's should have an awareness, worth a call or an e-mail to check.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My brother manages an off licence. He has just dropped off some essential medical supplies on his way home from work. Jim Beam for me, Honey JD for the boss.

IMG_20200323_183150.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

There are signs that communities are getting organised. Here in mid Wales I've just received notification that a scheme has been set up where volunteers offer shopping services, friendly chat or advice and practical help such as dog walking. This is a very recent development, it may well be that those in other areas where no help has yet been forthcoming will find these sort of start ups happening. Local councils or MP's should have an awareness, worth a call or an e-mail to check.

The same has happened here.  Our lane has a a WhatsApp Based community support group where people have offered to do shopping for others, and the village Parish council has given details of contacts for help in each district within the village.

I may need this support as I have just had a text telling me that I am in the extremely vulnerable category.  It didn’t come as a surprise, but still feels like a kick in the teeth.  We are now trying to sort out how I can keep separate from my wife.  It sure isn’t proving easy.

• Friendly/supportive 10