The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Any chance someone can 'self isolate' me from the Mrs for a few weeks ?  She is now 'working from home' which seams to entail rattling off emails to colleagues, drinking hot drinks made by me (on demand) and adding to the ever expanding list of jobs she's noticed needing doing round the place. It was much better when she went orf to work and came home too knackered to notice anything ! 

I keep looking longingly out the window at Sanctuary ( my workshop) but she can hear the front door handle going at a 1000 yards, even with headphones on (conference call doncha know)  and I hear those terrible words again. . . 

Oh  can you just. . . . . .    :cray_mini:

Sounds like my house.

weathers nice, my wifes taken my office, i’m working from the garden, wearing shorts and sunglasses.

I work in sales so normally want to keep conversations secluded, but my neighbours are a BBC journalist, A Royal protection expert who likes my whisky too much, A  Corporate Lifestyle guru (just don't ask), retired ex-spy (her stories are fantastic and she has a few medals and given script details to a Hollywood film), a  Bank manager and an ex-Falklands serviceman who legally possesses a rifle and doesnt like foxes... oh and a neighbour who hides his interest in model railways, denys all, yet gives away way too much in any basic conversation.

so IT discussions are largely of no relevance around here.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Well its been very quiet around my way today.

The air quality over London has improved remarkably...(either that or my eyesight has)... on a good day I can usually see the vague outlines of London tower blocks as planes circle into Heathrow above, a good 14 mile north from my home, and a wide view that must be 40-50 miles across london.

From my house today I can view all the way from Surrey to the hills of North London, its been a bright couple of days, but the green hills on the other side are easily in sight.. I’m guessing its Edgware or Barnet I’m seeing, 40 miles or so away... usually thats lost in a haze.

Maybe just west of Edgware, north of Harrow Weald? There's some good view points up there on Old Redding.

6 hours ago, NittenDormer said:

Chimnea surely? Chiminea only to Dick Van Dyke.

Chiminea is a thing with a tall chimney. It's origins are in Mexico and the American southwest.

Chimæra / Chimera is the mythological beast (lion/goat with snake head tail)

Dick Van Dyke was quoted as follows:

“I appreciate this opportunity to apologise to the members of Bafta for inflicting on them the most atrocious cockney accent in the history of cinema.”

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The air quality over London has improved remarkably...(either that or my eyesight has)... on a good day I can usually see the vague outlines of London tower blocks as planes circle into Heathrow above, a good 14 mile north from my home, and a wide view that must be 40-50 miles across london.

From my house today I can view all the way from Surrey to the hills of North London, its been a bright couple of days, but the green hills on the other side are easily in sight.. I’m guessing its Edgware or Barnet I’m seeing, 40 miles or so away... usually thats lost in a haze.

I cannot resist quoting from a music hall song by Gus Elen:

"If I stood up on the chimbley I could see across to Wembley

If it wasn't for the houses in between"

Chris 

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

12 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

They are a wonderful tool when used correctly.

We speak of mobile phones.  Yes they are - turn it on when you need to use it, not have it clamped to your ear constantly.  It is your slave, not your master, though fewer and fewer people seem to know that.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
left something out
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

One of the cats woke me at 05:00, very insistently demanding to go out. Not being able to go back to sleep (thinking/worrying about the kids) I had a cuppa and was just looking out of the window admiring the dawn starting to spread across the horizon, when I saw something I have not seen in days:

1811180322_signoflife.JPG.80f4e07c6e136a5a3e2cabe54f3d6668.JPG

It felt like in the movie 28 days later where Jim looks up, sees a contrail in the sky and realises that not all of the world has succumbed to the Zombie apocalypse...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

We speak of mobile phones.  Yes they are - turn it on when you need to use it, not have it clamped to your ear constantly.  It is your slave, not your master, though fewer and fewer people seem to know that.

Chris

Too true. Nearly crashed into a young lady on a bicycle yesterday when she suddenly veered across the road in front of me. She was, of course, texting on her phone.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

That is a remarkable improvement - even allowing for the current weather and that we are in early Spring.

I don't know where you were in Surrey but I don't think Barnet and Edgware would be visible due to Hampstead Heath ridge being in the way.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Simon G said:

Just heard on the news that Trump wants to lift all restrictions in the US by Easter.  I know that the man is a total halfwit, but this is his most breathtaking piece of utter stupidity yet.  How does he think that China managed to shut down the virus in Hubei province?

This is Trump you are talking about. The word "think" is totally redundant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

The plonker is just desperately trying to save the US economy and hence his chance of re-election.

At first the Republicans buried their heads in the sand and hoped it would go away, now panic has set in.

If only the Virus could be programmed to search out total F. Wits....

8 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

I keep looking longingly out the window at Sanctuary ( my workshop) but she can hear the front door handle going at a 1000 yards, even with headphones on (conference call doncha know)  and I hear those terrible words again. . . 

Oh  can you just. . . . . .    :cray_mini:

Just say No...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That is a remarkable improvement - even allowing for the current weather and that we are in early Spring.

I don't know where you were in Surrey but I don't think Barnet and Edgware would be visible due to Hampstead Heath ridge being in the way.

although its a nice morning, I was going to take a picture, but alas the haze has returned, I guess now weekend has passed daily life is catching up.

I’ll take a picture later, but it was nice to see green hills on north London.

Were towards Banstead in Surrey, elevation (according to google terrain is 100m), it looked comparative on the otherside, if theres any experts that are more informed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, gordon s said:

So far, nothing, but I suspect that's because only two or three people have my mobile number......;)

.....and it's always switched off unless I'm calling someone anyway.

Who said I'm living in the past...:D

Jethro Tull?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Chris

Agree but for some if they don't have their phone or no signal; its the end of the world!

• Agree 2

Finally got my UK_Gov 'Stay at home' text this morning!

But I'm off to work shortly, that nice Mr. Gove said I was 

an essential worker, so I have to go and fix a leaking tap,

and unblock a toilet, for someone who is self-isolating.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Finally got my UK_Gov 'Stay at home' text this morning!

But I'm off to work shortly, that nice Mr. Gove said I was 

an essential worker, so I have to go and fix a leaking tap,

and unblock a toilet, for someone who is self-isolating.

On behalf of JCM, perhaps HMG should add further advice to the populace that we should keep up our intake of fibre and senator - the availability of sanitary engineers to deal with mega-logs could otherwise be strained. :rolleyes:. Hat, coat, door.......

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

Any chance someone can 'self isolate' me from the Mrs for a few weeks ? 

Divorce lawyers worldwide are rubbing their freshly-washed hands at the prospect of a bumper season ahead. Obviously I hope this doesn't happen to you.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Divorce lawyers worldwide are rubbing their freshly-washed hands at the prospect of a bumper season ahead. Obviously I hope this doesn't happen to you.

...and midwives etc starting to gear up for busy run up to Christmas?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And the estate agents are queuing up behind them!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Murder defence barristers might also be in for a bumper season!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4