The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In France the Government simply used the small print in phone contracts that says they are entitled to broadcast via the phone providers. No doubt UK is doing the same. Hard to see the harm in any of this. No, the Government does not know your number, but your provider does. 

No.

HM Government had to persuade the providers to do this as there is no formal arrangement with the phone companies.

Apparently they were in negotiations with them some years ago to have a "Broadcast" facility but in the end nothing happened.

I wonder whether the system can bypass the phone number entirely as my old Android phone which doesn't even have a an account or number* still gets texts from Vodafone.

*The account was transferred to a new phone.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Latest Chimera built and roaring away. Slightly taller chimney than standard due to sections salvaged from the last two

8BFEAFC0-366F-414A-ABAF-C7D481E7B85A.jpeg

I hope it isn't a chimera as this is an example:

latest?cb=20120615060217

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Well its been very quiet around my way today.

The air quality over London has improved remarkably...(either that or my eyesight has)... on a good day I can usually see the vague outlines of London tower blocks as planes circle into Heathrow above, a good 14 mile north from my home, and a wide view that must be 40-50 miles across london.

From my house today I can view all the way from Surrey to the hills of North London, its been a bright couple of days, but the green hills on the other side are easily in sight.. I’m guessing its Edgware or Barnet I’m seeing, 40 miles or so away... usually thats lost in a haze.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, runs as required said:

Has everybody received a HMG text message to stay indoors for 12 weeks?

Or is it just the 1.5 M of us threatened with being specially selected?

Or is it, as my (Huawei) phone suggested, simply Spam?

:huh:

dh

I got the text this afternoon.  It did cause a bit of a panic as I was talking to the boss in the office at work, having just finished 8 hours driving a bus.  Wondered if it was specifically targeted at me, or a general message to everyone - but nobody else at work had recieved the text.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Well its been very quiet around my way today.

The air quality over London has improved remarkably...(either that or my eyesight has)... on a good day I can usually see the vague outlines of London tower blocks as planes circle into Heathrow above, a good 14 mile north from my home, and a wide vw that must be 40-50 miles across london.

From my house today I can view all the way from Surrey to the hills of North London, its been a bright couple of days, but the green hills on the other side are easily in sight.. I’m guessing its Edgware or Barnet I’m seeing.

I believe that 'The World/Planet' is sending us a message. It isn't doing it very kindly though. 

OK so my 5th positive for today is that my new meds are not the same as the old meds (The Who version but with variation). Old meds were terrible for about 6 weeks before they settled in a few years back; filth called Sertraline. I suspect the new meds are called Walkabouts as they are, I am told, going to make me all mellow and relaxed.

Cheers my friends, tomorrow is another warm and beautiful Spring day I see.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 23/03/2020 at 11:59, Simon G said:

The same has happened here.  Our lane has a a WhatsApp Based community support group where people have offered to do shopping for others, and the village Parish council has given details of contacts for help in each district within the village.

I may need this support as I have just had a text telling me that I am in the extremely vulnerable category.  It didn’t come as a surprise, but still feels like a kick in the teeth.  We are now trying to sort out how I can keep separate from my wife.  It sure isn’t proving easy.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<We are now trying to sort out how I can keep separate from my wife.  It sure isn’t proving easy.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No way!  At our ages we both need support from each other as we've done all our married life, so any separation is certainly not going to happen.  We self isolate from others and do most of what is needed but there are some things, even to save humanity, that go too far!

Brian. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I got the text this afternoon.  It did cause a bit of a panic as I was talking to the boss in the office at work, having just finished 8 hours driving a bus.  Wondered if it was specifically targeted at me, or a general message to everyone - but nobody else at work had recieved the text.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52017451

21 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... No way!  At our ages we both need support from each other as we've done all our married life, so any separation is certainly not going to happen.  We self isolate from others and do most of what is needed but there are some things, even to save humanity, that go too far!

Down in our eighties we need to lean on one another more than ever before.

(interesting how the words of the wedding service are so beautifully anticipatory of the stages through life - speaking as an Agnostic)

But J needs her own bathroom and i have also taken to sleeping in guest room because i keep her awake at night with alternately  snoring and insomnia!

Old men are a whole lot more disgusting than ‘fragrant’ old ladies.

:slow:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2020 at 19:51, Mallard60022 said:

Positive No. 5 for today was seeing the Red Arrows doing their thing over the far horizon from 36E. Cool.

Sadly that was it as I am in 'super flight mode' too but not the Airforce sort of flight. Gonna have to resort to more meds if the Doc will allow that tomorrow (phone consultation guaranteed if I phone to book at 08.00). 

My goal tomorrow is to get my yesterday evening's disintegrated tooth fixed but I have t go to a Private Clinic in Dore, just outside Sheffield as my regular dentists & no dentists locally, even private, would even look at it. I had to be in agony and swollen like a Beano character's toothache, totally broken tooth don't count but Mrs private dentist in Dore Clinic said you are hurting aren't you, yes you are so see you tomorrow. The fee is not a lot more than my normal NHS fee but I don't give a to be honest and will eat a large humble pie when it is fixed.

So fellow Webbers, I recommend you don't bust any teeth or any thing else for that matter.

Bless you all.

Phil

Hope your tooth is soon sorted, Phil. Seems a long way to go though.

• Thanks 1

Just heard on the news that Trump wants to lift all restrictions in the US by Easter.  I know that the man is a total halfwit, but this is his most breathtaking piece of utter stupidity yet.  How does he think that China managed to shut down the virus in Hubei province?

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The air quality over London has improved remarkably...(either that or my eyesight has)... on a good day I can usually see the vague outlines of London tower blocks

I was riding across to my daughters last week and the blocks in Manchester were the clearest I had seen them in many years of travelling that road.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Positives today were getting more work done in the garden and setting up a virtual speed and distance recorder on the old turbo trainer that SiL has given us.

Another benefit is that it's much quieter than usual, no background hum from traffic and town. A woodpecker was clearly audible this morning. First time I've heard one here in the 13 years we've lived in this house.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

What Lloyd posted is widely known, and sold as, a Chimera. What you posted is maybe a chimaera?

What Lloyd posted is a Chiminea

Never heard it called a Chimera.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Just heard on the news that Trump wants to lift all restrictions in the US by Easter.  I know that the man is a total halfwit, but this is his most breathtaking piece of utter stupidity yet.  How does he think that China managed to shut down the virus in Hubei province?

Ah well it is only a Chinese disease, it doesn't affect Americans much.;) Ha-Ha!

The plonker is just desperately trying to save the US economy and hence his chance of re-election.

At first the Republicans buried their heads in the sand and hoped it would go away, now panic has set in.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Any chance someone can 'self isolate' me from the Mrs for a few weeks ?  She is now 'working from home' which seams to entail rattling off emails to colleagues, drinking hot drinks made by me (on demand) and adding to the ever expanding list of jobs she's noticed needing doing round the place. It was much better when she went orf to work and came home too knackered to notice anything ! 

I keep looking longingly out the window at Sanctuary ( my workshop) but she can hear the front door handle going at a 1000 yards, even with headphones on (conference call doncha know)  and I hear those terrible words again. . . 

Oh  can you just. . . . . .    :cray_mini:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16