The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold

So I had an appointment at the main hospital’s Urology department for next Monday. Yesterday afternoon, that department called to tell me that they were adopting telephone consultations as they didn’t want people coming to the hospital for the clinic. I think this is eminently sensible and so I agreed.

The one thing that concerns me is that they may ask me to shove my I-phone up my rectum. If they do, the answer will be “No way, Jose”!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

So I had an appointment at the main hospital’s Urology department for next Monday. Yesterday afternoon, that department called to tell me that they were adopting telephone consultations as they didn’t want people coming to the hospital for the clinic. I think this is eminently sensible and so I agreed.

The one thing that concerns me is that they may ask me to shove my I-phone up my rectum. If they do, the answer will be “No way, Jose”!

Maybe you shouldn’t have bought the iPhone Pro Max then? :o

:lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Oh, I dunno....

Stick it on vibrate and then phone yourself.....

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Could I encourage those with smart phones to download the Covid-tracker App which will help statisticians to monitor symptoms and also social distancing.

You can find it on the Apple App Store by typing ‘Zoe’ in the search box, and make sure you don’t download the lesbian dating app instead.

If the whole country use it it will be enormously helpful in detecting clusters of infection and also flag up when the infection is subsiding.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Could I encourage those with smart phones to download the Covid-tracker App which will help statisticians to monitor symptoms and also social distancing.

You can find it on the Apple App Store by typing ‘Zoe’ in the search box, and make sure you don’t download the lesbian dating app instead.

If the whole country use it it will be enormously helpful in detecting clusters of infection and also flag up when the infection is subsiding.

I'm sure, if it is TOTALLY secure, it may be a good thing but:
It is being run by a UK University - aren't they supposed to be closed? Exactly who are they sharing that data with? Have those people they have chosen to be involved been vetted as I am sure they are outside the NHS - that body has enough to do as it is!

I am luckily clear of the virus (I think) but as you can see, I am VERY cautious about so many of these on-line sites that suddenly pop up. We are being prompted by HMG to be cautious in physical contact and I don't think that is a bad thing in the virtual world too. Let's face it, there are plenty of low-life citizens looking to profit from this present problem.

• Agree 4

Thursday Bulletin - Read and Destroy.  Not turned computer on for 2 days to save the interweb from total collapse.  It seems to have worked.  Turned out LOTS of paper from files in home office.  Just how many 18 year old gas bills does a person need?  Done some 'gardening (actually a bit of 'tidying/pruning (hacking actually)'.  Been using the lathe to make a set of split axles for Ruston.  They're currently in the 'glue (proper Araldite) setting' phase.  Walking the estate each day.  I think I now know the position of every bit of rough pavement within 200 yards of the house.  Had first milk delivery - in pint glass bottles.  They don't half look small!  For a bit of excitement I might go and trundle on the turbo-trainer in the shed for a bit.  Or possibly paint something and watch it dry.  Minder was really exciting this morning.....................

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

It is being run by a UK University - aren't they supposed to be closed? Exactly who are they sharing that data with? Have those people they have chosen to be involved been vetted as I am sure they are outside the NHS - that body has enough to do as it is!

I am luckily clear of the virus (I think) but as you can see, I am VERY cautious about so many of these on-line sites that suddenly pop up. We are being prompted by HMG to be cautious in physical contact and I don't think that is a bad thing in the virtual world too. Let's face it, there are plenty of low-life citizens looking to profit from this present problem.

well the BBC are reporting the app was

'Created in just three days by researchers at Guy's and St Thomas' hospitals and King's College London university'--https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52033210

so doesn't sound too suspicious as these are highly reputable UK research institutions!

UK universities might be closed to on-campus teaching of students but still operating for the purposes of research and online teaching.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I was out of the house early this morning, first time since Saturday that I've been past the end of the driveway, taking the car to be repaired in Dorchester and doing shopping for ourselves and an 88 year old extended family member. The roads and towns were eerily quiet (like a Sunday from the 1970's) and although I had to go to 3 different supermarkets I did finally get everything on the list and stocks seem to be returning to more or less normal (I am impressed by the social distancing system that Tesco have adopted).

Driving back on virtually deserted roads through the rolling Dorset countryside bathed in glorious sunshine I came across this in the CD changer that perfectly matched my slightly melancholic and reflective mood...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I was out of the house early this morning, first time since Saturday that I've been past the end of the driveway, taking the car to be repaired in Dorchester and doing shopping for ourselves and an 88 year old extended family member. The roads and towns were eerily quiet (like a Sunday from the 1970's) and although I had to go to 3 different supermarkets I did finally get everything on the list and stocks seem to be returning to more or less normal (I am impressed by the social distancing system that Tesco have adopted).

Driving back on virtually deserted roads through the rolling Dorset countryside bathed in glorious sunshine I came across this in the CD changer that perfectly matched my slightly melancholic and reflective mood...

Nice piece - used I think in American Beauty, the images are well matched too.

Just now, boxbrownie said:

Or it sounds like the NHS trying to keep you and your family alive..........the Lesbians don’t care :rolleyes:

Maybe, but I will take my chances without the 24/7 surveillance opportunities. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

You can find it on the Apple App Store by typing ‘Zoe’ in the search box,

What about those of us with an even-smarter Android phone, no point going to the Apple App Store for that? :P

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Sprintex said:

What about those of us with an even-smarter Android phone, no point going to the Apple App Store for that? :P

Paul

For several years more Android phones have been sold than iPhones, some haven't yet caught up with reality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Nice piece - used I think in American Beauty, the images are well matched too.

Apparently so, I haven't seen the film but I think I remember hearing bits of the piece being used in advert soundtracks going back at least 15 years. It was on a Cafe del Mar compilation CD I bought years and years ago, never paid huge attention to it before but today I was skipping through tracks as I was driving along and nothing seemed to "click" with me until this came on, right place, right time...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Positives today.

• Stretched the morning bike ride a little so we could give Sammy a socially isolated Birthday wave. He was having a virtual birthday party this afternoon on the on-line group set up by the parents of his friends.
  • Not killed anyone yet although a couple of candidates have given me the urge to.
  • Great views on the ride back over the hills, strange to see only two contrails over Manhester and the Peak District.
  • No,1 compost bin cleared out and a new batch started in that one, No.2 now closed until it is ready for use.

Keep safe one and all, more bike riding, gardening and possibly modelling tomorrow. The modified version of the Stones Ventilators that Guy Rixon put on Shapeways for me arrived today so I have 3 LMS P1/P2 vestibules to finish off.

Only seen a few planes over 36E today, both Freighter/Parcels (one was from Chicago to Frankfurt). Others seem to be Dublin Amsterdam but there are a few early morning US to ? flights, Dubai I think. 

• RMweb Premium

The wonderful weather is just so uplifting. Fortunately we have few people around here unlike (say) Leeds where there are people everywhere if you go out. Must be truly frightening in London having seen the pics of the Tube. 

Real positive today is that my new meds have lasted all day as far as anxiety relief is concerned. OK I am spaced out but hey man, peace and love. Finally, cheesy though it may be I am going to have the clap at 20.00:pleasantry:

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

I think you are right to be cautious, but on a couple of points:

Universities are shut down - as teaching/learning organisations. 

They will legitimately remain open as centres of research provided that it can be conducted in a safe manner.   It is the students that have been sent home, the lecturers, researchers and professors remain.

Working on the Coronavirus would seem to be a very legitimate and urgent field of work at present and Imperial College London are currently very active in supporting the government and NHS.  I am sure they are not alone but they currently have the limelight.

I would be surprised if many of the engineering faculties are not providing support for things such as the manufacture of

urgent medical items via new technologies.  Often this will be through longstanding links with and sponsorships from manufacturing companies.  

Edited by Andy Hayter
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Just seen the most wonderful of things; virtually everyone in our street out cheering the NHS.  In the last week I have never seen so much conversation (at 2+ metres range), and warmth, and laughter in this place.  Neighbours are keeping an eye out for each other.

Hoping it continues beyond the crisis.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1