The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The wonderful weather is just so uplifting. Fortunately we have few people around here unlike (say) Leeds where there are people everywhere if you go out. Must be truly frightening in London having seen the pics of the Tube. 

Went for our permitted bike ride this morning, Views at Crowden Station area on the Woodhead route ere stunning.

Very few people about, Station car par empty except for the signalman, two motorcyclists having a rest at Woodhead Dam, one horserider, three cyclists, a handful of walkers.

Derbyshire Police were out yesterday turning back people arriving by car for a walk at Ladybower. Filming people at Curbar Adge last night by drone, footage from their Twitter post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52044452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e7cc4823bfe8a066d09efef%26Fines up to £960 for breaking UK anti-virus rules%262020-03-26T16%3A01%3A44.435Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:be4717c5-6ccd-4a20-aac1-ef0acf740eea&pinned_post_asset_id=5e7cc4823bfe8a066d09efef&pinned_post_type=share

1243168931503882241?s=201243168931503882241?s=20

They reported this afternoon that our High Street was a lot quieter than yesterday but elsewhere had to break up a picnic party.

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Only seen a few planes over 36E today, both Freighter/Parcels (one was from Chicago to Frankfurt). Others seem to be Dublin Amsterdam but there are a few early morning US to ? flights, Dubai I think. 

Didn't see one plane in the time we were out.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m sorry, Android users, the Covid 19 Tracker App is indeed available to Android users.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Removed reference to crows and jackdaws

17 hours ago, Kingzance said:

It is being run by a UK University - aren't they supposed to be closed?

I work for a UK university - we closed the doors almost two weeks ago and have been pretty busy working from home ever since.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, sharris said:

I work for a UK university - we closed the doors almost two weeks ago and have been pretty busy working from home ever since.

My wife does too.  No change in her workload.  Lecture materials posted online for students to view.  Face-to-face meetings now done via Skype or similar.  She was even on the interview panel for someone's PhD viva at a middle eastern university the other day which was all being done remotely.

The students themselves also still have studying to do and work to submit.  People appear to have assumed universities are closed along with schools.  (Not that schools are completely closed, of course.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

France has an existing website called EcoleDirect, designed to allow interaction between pupil, skool and parents. Unsurprisingly on the first day of skool closure it crashed. Various workrounds have been devised by brighter, motivated kids w their teachers. Teachers trusting chosen pupils to log into skool LANs, for example. You feel separation is providing bonding, oddly. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, teaky said:

My wife does too.  No change in her workload.  Lecture materials posted online for students to view.  Face-to-face meetings now done via Skype or similar.  She was even on the interview panel for someone's PhD viva at a middle eastern university the other day which was all being done remotely.

The students themselves also still have studying to do and work to submit.  People appear to have assumed universities are closed along with schools.  (Not that schools are completely closed, of course.)

There is thing called Zoom that is a sort of video conference thing. We have done our Pilates Classes to this format this week (sniggering allowed). 

Positive for today...my Grandaughter has a place at the Glasgow School of Art. She is a very talented, artistic person. She does not get much of that from her paternal Grandad's genes, although I did do  A level Art about a hundred years ago so it seems now.

P

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Decided to venture outside and prune some buddleia branches. Somehow managed to secateur the palm of my hand when a stick moved as I was cutting. 

Now back inside again. :(

• Friendly/supportive 10

My wife is zooming at the moment, friends on line from Ireland, UK, Netherlands and Italy.

I'm off out on the bike now that I have finished the strimming, it's a beautiful sunny day.

Edited by Killybegs
correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I’m sorry, Android users, the Corvid Tracker App is indeed available to Android users.

I don't need a Corvid tracker, I can see plenty of the beggars out of the window:jester:

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Me also, just off to get a bus to Lidl & Sainsbury + Iceland if time.  I don't expect bogroll but hope to get most other needs.  I can do without people like the bloke and his 9/10 year old son who were so close behind  at the till that the lad was nudging my rucksack. He got a nudge back.  That Lidl has wheeled baskets with long handles; I wished i'd hung onto mine in the queue as they are over 5ft stretched out.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Me also, just off to get a bus to Lidl & Sainsbury + Iceland if time.  I don't expect bogroll but hope to get most other needs.  I can do without people like the bloke and his 9/10 year old son who were so close behind  at the till that the lad was nudging my rucksack. He got a nudge back.  That Lidl has wheeled baskets with long handles; I wished i'd hung onto mine in the queue as they are over 5ft stretched out.

You should be alright at Sainsbugs. Strict spacing of customers both when entering and at the till. Whilst trawling the aisles it's up to the customers to behave.

Saw a couple of buses pass whilst waiting my turn.

Both completely devoid of passengers but there were plenty of cars on the road, even a tidy queue up to some traffic lights.

On my last trip to Sainsbury's and Tesco the usual bog-roll, dried pasta and rice were nowhere to be seen. Strangely though there was plenty of fresh pasta in the pizza/pasta chiller section, and even fresh pasta has a 'best before' that's weeks away from now. 

Paul

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Going outside, first time since Monday when the 'lockdown' occurred.

Not sure what to expect at or in the shops - I am expecting queuing outside then an Ikea style trip around each aisle where I used to sail around in my own world to my own tune.

How civilised shopping has become again.

Went to Sainsburys, queue outside, several out followed by several in.  Meat and veg in good supply but found you can only buy three packs of meat in total, I had five because I bought three steaks for one meal plus two packs of chicken.

Aldi similar, several out followed by several in, but only one person per basket/trolley - not so much veg today but it was mid afternoon.

It struck me how peaceful it was walking around and everyone giving each other space gracefully, I might actually miss some of this though I haven't had to queue outside in the rain yet.  At least it didn't look stressful for the staff.

Oh and the value of loo rolls must have fallen through the floor on the black market - it was piled high in Quality Save, with Aldi and Sainsburys also showing healthy volumes.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Started tidying up the layout room yesterday, have made encouragingly  good progress. It’s amazing just how much rubbish can be accumulated in a relatively short time (we only moved here 5 years ago). Also made a start on boards for a new exhibition layout, am determined not to waste all this valuable time sitting doing nothing - as an anxiety and depression sufferer it’s probably the worst possible thing I could do! Once the boards are finished I’ll turn my attention to the home layout which has languished in a half- constructed state for far too long. My wife is suitably impressed......

All this plus gardening, the daily dog walk and occasional trips to deliver shopping to my Mum means that time rarely drags (and I haven’t started on those decorating and DIY jobs yet).

One minor peeve with current TV coverage, I’m heartily sick of hearing how things are being “ramped up”, it takes me back  to the days of tedious team meetings and those pointless management buzz-phrases.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Colin said:

One minor peeve with current TV coverage, I’m heartily sick of hearing how things are being “ramped up”, it takes me back  to the days of tedious team meetings and those pointless management buzz-phrases.

For one period this morning the three BBC channels (BBC1, BBC 2 & BBC News 24) all had Coronavirus coverage.

Stop it, it is total overkill, my missus is fed up of non stop CV coverage and is starting to get depressed, they are doing more harm than good.

She's starting to welcome the repeats as something to watch that at least doesn't have CV content.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

For one period this morning the three BBC channels (BBC1, BBC 2 & BBC News 24) all had Coronavirus coverage.

Stop it, it is total overkill, my missus is fed up of non stop CV coverage and is starting to get depressed, they are doing more harm than good.

She's starting to welcome the repeats as something to watch that at least doesn't have CV content.

Perhaps we could have 66% of our licence fee back?.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whist CV is all over the live TV channels, BBC's I-Player is refreshingly free of it. Worth taking a look at it and the other catch up services for less stressful alternatives.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Try having your Grandchildren staying with you for the duration, all we have been watching for the last two weeks is Pepper Pig, Mr Tumble and the bleedin’ Clangers :wacko:

:D

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6