ABS models (Adrian Swain)

shipbadger

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I shall ask.

D

Thank you, it's Adrian's bits more than his kits* that interest me the most and I suspect many others.

All the best !

*It's not a crime to speak in rhyme, although I can't do it all the time.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

When you ask, I need several sets of SR brake van buffers for detailing a rake of Lima bogie hoppers so please ask about them too.

Cheers

PhilB.

Can you be more specific? Part number and number of packets will help.

Duncan

On 16/10/2022 at 11:35, drduncan said:

Can you be more specific? Part number and number of packets will help.

Duncan

I'll have a look at what I have to see if I still have the packet. These are for 4mm and I would be looking for about 8 sets - 32 buffers!

Phil B.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wilton 34041 said:

I'll have a look at what I have to see if I still have the packet. These are for 4mm and I would be looking for about 8 sets - 32 buffers!

Phil B.

Which is probably two spins of the casting machine, so not a huge order.

Taking over a production business such as ABS it not easy, especially if the tools, moulds, etc. are not well documented. Which mould produces what items and how many? Many moulds have several different items in them. The same can apply to etch tooling. Getting your head around that, knowing what will be more popular and hence can be prioritised, etc. is far from easy.

More than one range of products has "disappeared" despite going into new hands, because it proved to be too difficult or not economic to get it into production again. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Many of the parts (4mm) Adrian produced are now available from other suppliers such as Lanarkshire Model Supplies. The SR buffers mentioned above I believe are.

The parts I think may be missed most are the brakegear sets mainly for freight stock. These made for quick building and a more than acceptable appearance for many of us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/04/2022 at 08:07, drduncan said:

...a lot has been done, with a lot still to do including examining the moulds and making replacements…

Duncan

Any updates Duncan?

Fortunately there are still some parts turning up on eBay* but I don't know for how much longer this supply's going to last.

* they're mine, so don't you dare out bid me 🤪😂

@Tim Dubya 
I’ve had an update from my mate.

The database of parts for each kit is complete, it’s now a case of matching the large amount of stock castings to the relevant parts/kits in the database. As many kits share common components this is likely to be time consuming so at the moment it’s still uncertain what kits can be produced from stock and which will require new castings.

I’m told It is hoped that there will be a stand at the South Hants MRC (Portsmouth) show in November, but this is an aspiration and is not confirmed.

Hope this helps. 

Duncan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, drduncan said:

“Fourmost ABS (4mm wagon kit and associated parts) will be at the South Hants MRC show at Admiral Lord Nelson’s School on Saturday 18 November.”

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

Is that the new incarnation of the ABS 4 mm range ?

Unfortunately, I cannot get down to that show.

I wonder if they have a website, or at least contact details ?

All the best

Ray

6 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Duncan.

Is that the new incarnation of the ABS 4 mm range ?

Unfortunately, I cannot get down to that show.

I wonder if they have a website, or at least contact details ?

All the best

Ray

Yes it is. I think there is a website being set up but I don’t have any details.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, drduncan said:

Yes it is. I think there is a website being set up but I don’t have any details.

That is very good news. There are definitely some wagon kits I originally missed and would like to get.

I will keep an eye out for further announcements.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, drduncan said:

I eagerly look forward to further announcements, as I've already run out of several varieties of FourMost wagon brake-gear.

Whitemetal castings add a useful bit of weight to plastic kit wagons, especially open ones where there's little room for adding lead. 

John

• Agree 3