Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Is the rumour true that you are going to produce a working 4mm scale model of a British Rail BLT sandwich, with DCC sound?                                                                                                                                                             

Is one function where you whack it off the counter to see how solid it is?

• RMweb Gold

I inititially read that as 'whacking it off on the counter'; do not google this...  Although I always found BLTs to be soggy and limp, so whacking them on the counter would have been more like splatting them on the counter.  The dry fellows were the ham sarnies, all curled up at the edges with yesterday's lettuce.

Not all Travellers' Fare was bad; the microwaved toasties on HSTs were ok, and the buffets at Bristol TM could do you a fine Welsh Rarebit, proper ones with mustard an' all.  In the 70s the 08.35 Cardiff-Newcastle thought it was running in the 1930s and still did full English breakfast, Luncheon, and Silver Service High Tea.  I once worked a military special between STJ and Carmarthen, German Army panzers going for training at Castlemartin, described in detail in my 'confessions' topic and a Grand Day Out.  This was booked to recieve packed lunches for the officers and men accompanying the tanks, from the buffet on platforms 3/4 at Cardiff Central which was usually nothing to shout home about, and I snaffled myself one of these as well; it was excellent, all fresh top quality ingredients, a cold quarter-chicken, and a mini-bottle of white wine; someone had been sent over to Cardiff's indoor market for the makings, I suspect.  Swapped my breast for a leg, which I prefer, with a panzerleutnant, and not many people can say they've done that and lived to tell the tale...

The 'Brunel' restaurant at the back of the lawn at Paddington was pretty good as well, and not that expensive by London standards, though of course us provincials were horrified by the prices.  It became a standard feature of club trips to That London in the 80s to Central Hall or Wembley for the show. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As we're on an Accurascale / Irish Railway Models thread, I recall the sandwiches offered by Irish Rail catering in the early 80's : limp white 'bread' containing a thin slice of processed ham or very processed cheese with a smear of cheap margarine .... hmmmm ................................... but a slab of their Irish Whiskey Cake was a delight !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 22:39, The Johnster said:

For 64' underframes, there are also the Swindon 123 'Inter City' and 124 'Trans Pennine' sets to consider.  Not to mention the emu candidates not already produced, such as the AM hi-density sets and the attractive 90mph AM10s.  The 123s had a fair geographical spread over their lifetimes and fall within the very popular WR steam/diesel transition period.

I'm for the 124, but it would be interesting to have a set with a 124 cab at one end and a Swindon at the other end, as per prototypes!

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Did I miss an announcement ? Can’t see an new thread or anything 

tumbleweed I'm afraid! 🙂🙃🙂🙃

Edited by reddragon
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

It might have been when you wrote that - but the Hattons thread has sneaked in between since

Off topic, although its not as if I'm interupting anything new, but your mention of Hattons suggests you have a list of threads?

I'm vaguely interested in how we browse differently. I tend to just jump between regular threads, mark the site read after each session then anything new next time is in bold. So I can leap straight to someone posting "is there any news yet" and other unmissable gems.

Is there a more efficient method? 

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Ta Mac!

😁

Jason

Ah, I see now ,

wrong scale !

I was hoping for “ EWS 37s - next 37 batch - 37051, 057, 114 “

Im sure they’ll get to them, preferably before I become old and forgetful 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Im sure they’ll get to them, preferably before I become old and forgetful 

by which time you won't remember that you've forgotten whether you've got one or not, or not ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

On my computer - and Steamport's, presumably - I have https://www.rmweb.co.uk/ as a favourite set up on the opening search engine screen ........ various options thereafter though don't ask me for the technomumble !

I do too.

i meant within RMWeb, how do people generally browse threads....

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - in which case, Dr.Freud, I have to confess to having a short list of threads ( Trade & Products Zone, Prototype Questions, Prototype Discussions & Southern Railway Group ) which I browse to see if there's anything new. 🤓

I can quite easily spend several hours a day doing that.

Generally the answer ends up being, no, there wasn't anything new! :)

28 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

On my computer - and Steamport's, presumably - I have https://www.rmweb.co.uk/ as a favourite set up on the opening search engine screen ........ various options thereafter though don't ask me for the technomumble !

Nope. Don't even look at that page!

Straight to the Forums...

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/

First click is usually Small Suppliers. Then check if there has been any activity on the others in the last few days. Then have a browse through the threads I find interesting such as Kit Building, Modifying RTR, Wright Writes, etc.

If there is news from the RTR boys then I've probably already received about half a dozen emails, mostly from retailers trying to sell me it!

That's why I sign up for them.  So far today I've had WoR, Bachmann, Hornby, Kernow, Gaugemaster, Rails, Locomotion and Key. More the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I said tumbleweed because of the total silence for a least an hour after the Tarmac announcement when it wasn't a class 40, or Stanier!!

I was underwhelmed with excitement