Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It's not all doom and gloom down here.   Last night we watched a bit of telly and Beth made herself aG & T, at the same time she complained about the number of whisky bottles in the drinks cabinet.  Of course I had to be a supportive husband so did my bit by finishing a bottle of Glenlivet that was at the front.

Jamie

Did you offer to share? :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 8

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I'm sort of stuck. I can't decide whether the reversing loop should fly over or duck under.

21Dec21.png.d4aa2e0423db3638477e7cc708bb58b5.png

That's lot of duck under if something goes wrong

I am assuming it is all hidden though

My money is on flyover

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

That's lot of duck under if something goes wrong

I am assuming it is all hidden though

My money is on flyover

Andy

The storage loops at the rear will be behind a removable back-drop. Fly over is a bit simpler but I'm thinking a duck under would look better. The gradients would be quite gentle either way. (It's about 31 feet long.)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

The storage loops at the rear will be behind a removable back-drop. Fly over is a bit simpler but I'm thinking a duck under would look better. The gradients would be quite gentle either way. (It's about 31 feet long.)

I can see a semi open scenic duck under sneaking a train around with just the roof being seen being quite attractive, but still think over is better 

Of course the setting would also make a difference 

Urban setting could go either way

Rural definitely fly over

Andy

Who wishes he had time for building layouts

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Andy:  Is the layout to be viewed from the bottom side of the drawing?   Then a flyover would conceal a lot of the layout unless it's mounted very low.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Andy:  Is the layout to be viewed from the bottom side of the drawing?   Then a flyover would conceal a lot of the layout unless it's mounted very low.

Yes, the straight side is against a wall so a flyover would block a lot. I think it's going to go under. It's a bit more work but I think it will be worth it. The loops at the end will be "off stage". I think I can do it with nothing steeper than 1:130. The undeveloped goods and shed will be at the right end.

The baseboard is in place with a test circuit on it. I just need to get off my backside and start laying track :D

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Of course but I knew the answer. She diesn't like Whisky, I don't like gin so our respective supplies are safe unless the kids come.

Jamie

I like both, so could do serious damage if ever I came a calling.

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

I'm sort of stuck. I can't decide whether the reversing loop should fly over or duck under.

21Dec21.png.d4aa2e0423db3638477e7cc708bb58b5.png

You'd be better off doing 7 mm scale:   A small secondary junction. Much less stuff and therefore more time to enjoy what you do have.

image.png.24f4b099d1ab6ddcc27a74f5b246bd6e.png

(A free low resolution drawing from the SRS website:  High definition versions are available for a fee either as individual drawings or as specific areas via a CD.)

42xx and 56xx trundling along the main, and those cheeky little pannier chappies scuttling back and for along the branch. What's not to like?

It could even be brought up into the diesel era with class 37 and a 95xx 'Teddy Bear' and various DMUs to provide passenger services, but even Brian (br2975) would be hard pushed to run that as a C2 operation.:laugh_mini:

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

42xx and 56xx trundling along the main, and those cheeky little pannier chappies scuttling back and for along the branch. What's not to like?

Er, how long has Hippo got......:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I posted this on another thread.

Watch for the idiot at 0:50 who takes a 'wrong turning' and tries to drive down the river.

I love the way this obviously a local spectator sport.  My personal favourite is the Range Rover being recovered by a Freelander worth probably 98% less than the car it's recovering.  Your car might be four wheel drive, but it's the wading depth you need to know at times like this; maybe only two of those stranded vehicles could have negotiated that water safely and only if driven properly.  Which neither of them were.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

..........those cheeky little pannier chappies scuttling back and for along the branch.....

They're spreading like Covid. Last night I saw a TV advert that featured what looked like a 7mm pannier tank in the fictitious Great Northern and Southern livery from the Railway Children. Is there no corner safe from them?

Dave

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

That makes it worse Stephen - it means that the little sods can time travel too!! They're like bl**dy Daleks.

Dave

Exterminus! Exterminus!

We are panniers from the GWR.

You will obey!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14