Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

OK all you language experts, can someone explain the rule for converting

London to Londoner

Bristol to Bristolian

Glasgow to Glaswegian

Mars to Martian

Liverpool to Liverpudlian

Goole to Goolie?  credit to Jasper Carrot

I've turned it into a game on a long car journey with kids, think of a place/ see a signpost and come up with the answer. Try Barnstable, Lydd, Berwick-upon-Tweed ....

How does the comparative rule work in French, German, Urdu ...

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe that your use is conversational, which is surely the most practical form of any language. 

I was appalled recently when a thoroughly decent modeller with a very popular thread was taken to task for his imperfect use of English. By someone 'senior' who I believe was once a teacher, who then claimed he doesn't know how PMs work.

Most of us speak and write imperfectly at times. It doesn't stop the world rotating.

PMs don't work.  They go on long holidays, then bullsh1t when asked how they were financed.  Bill

• Funny 15

3 hours ago, pgcroc said:

Sorry already have done, may not work quite so well:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/27065/bachmann_usa_46211_bus_with_high_railers_maintenance_of_way_vehicles/stockdetail

There is also the H0 Michelin by P???? and a 00 kit for the British Karrier/ LMS lurking on my Shelf of Shame

Edited by Canal Digger
correction
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pgcroc said:

Nothing new at all; Red Arrow Lines/Philadelphia Suburban Transportation had one in the early sixties. It was a stock GM "New Look" transit bus fitted with Hi-Rail equipment. The experiment did not work out as well as hoped so the Hi-Rail parts were removed and the bus soldiered on for many more years as a regular bus.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/76/fd/7576fdee1e78674e43ea741a6b8b1a8b.jpg

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Indeed. Hebrew, for one consists of the consonants and leaves the reader to fill in the vowels.  ...snip...

"The Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning and the Hebrews learn it backwards; which is absolutely frightening."

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Nothing new at all; Red Arrow Lines/Philadelphia Suburban Transportation had one in the early sixties. It was a stock GM "New Look" transit bus fitted with Hi-Rail equipment. The experiment did not work out as well as hoped so the Hi-Rail parts were removed and the bus soldiered on for many more years as a regular bus.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/76/fd/7576fdee1e78674e43ea741a6b8b1a8b.jpg

IIRC the LMS did too. Then there were the road/railer trailers in the UK. Didn't catch on.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all,

...snip...These gardens have alight show during Christmas time so the grandmother invited us to go with her. Afterwards we had a very fancy dinner, so we had to dress appropriately. The outcome was this very 1893 Worlds Fair photo my sister took of me. Here are a few other photos, they don't do the place justice.

Douglas

Nice but the colors are too modern-looking (can I say led?) to my eye; they just do not fit the surroundings.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Then there were the road/railer trailers in the UK. Didn't catch on.

There was/is(?) a version of them here

102_4990.JPG.07649f0dbaf7c5c8b2aec25ee593f6a4.JPG

102_4989.JPG.8f0dceaa2e4f65b0ba382e9a1fb84f86.JPG

1280278610_0016102_4979posted06may18.JPG.b51a0fd963858dca8a8d270fffffbbc2.JPG

1480803980_0016102_4992posted06may18.JPG.edd56425655a26ec3a8613dad447d381.JPG

I took these photos on 19nov2011 at Dalton, Georgia*. Both NS and CSX pass through Dalton, the Triple Crown is on NS trackage and the rails in the backround are CSX. A really great train watching spot as both lines go directly to Atlanta.

Sometimes something interesting comes through:

102_4996.JPG.13412c13f42210a94839a5b9cf7e5677.JPG

102_4997.JPG.1063114eed8933b9dc3575dd4c690970.JPG

102_4998.JPG.f926701e9532d9e37a669c52b4eec292.JPG

Here is the track plan of Dalton; the photos were taken at the Dalton Freight Depot:

102_5048.JPG.57315f132f32969ca71ccdb831b6718f.JPG

*The great locomotive chase during the War of Northern Aggression took place a few miles north of Dalton; the tunnel location is now a public park.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I speak (or did speak - it's quite a while since I used it) a reasonable amount of German with, I am told, a slight Westphalian accent, presumably through having lived there when in the RAF. I was once on a night train from Düsseldorf to Munich sitting opposite a lady with whom I had the occasional light conversation and thought, 'What a nice German lady. She realises I'm not German and is speaking a nice, clear non-dialect German for my benefit.' When we got to Munich and she was getting her suitcase I said, in English without thinking, "Let me get that for you." She stopped and said, "Are you English?" It transpired that she was English and that all night she'd been thinking, 'What a nice German man. He realises that I'm not German and is speaking...........'

Dave

Look what happened to Gordon Jackson when he slipped from German to English.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm often mistaken for German when abroad, I get spoken to in that language first, then something else probably Eastern European, then I speak English.....then the Isle of Man thing causes all sorts of issues when folk want detail.  No not the UK, but like the UK, but not part of it......confused even more by my accent 'are you Scottish or something?' often is heard from struggling English speakers from other countries. Why aye man.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

OK all you language experts, can someone explain the rule for converting

London to Londoner

Bristol to Bristolian

Glasgow to Glaswegian

Mars to Martian

Liverpool to Liverpudlian

Goole to Goolie?  credit to Jasper Carrot

I've turned it into a game on a long car journey with kids, think of a place/ see a signpost and come up with the answer. Try Barnstable, Lydd, Berwick-upon-Tweed ....

How does the comparative rule work in French, German, Urdu ...

Those from Poznan are known  as pyry

It has something to do with potatoes 

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pgcroc said:

90 years ago.

image.png.6745d41a94c9db2b869a28e4381f7181.png

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

IIRC the LMS did too. Then there were the road/railer trailers in the UK. Didn't catch on.

The Bonner system.

https://manxelectricrailway.co.uk/wagons/bonner-road-rail/

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bbishop said:

English derives from Frisian whilst Dutch derives from German.  Then Frisian and German are West Teutonic languages whist the Scandinavian languages are North Teutonic.  (And can we keep the LNWR out of the discussion?)

Bill

Some years ago Dutch friends of ours came over here to stay and spent a few days in Scotland on the way. On arrival our friend Wim said that he had noticed quite a few dialect words in Scots that were either the same as or very similar to words in Frisian dialect.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

in French, German, Urdu ...

French is as varied as English. Urdu I have been informed adds walla to the name of the city so Delhiwalla or Lahorewalla. A Berliner is a doughnut…

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

French is as varied as English. Urdu I have been informed adds walla to the name of the city so Delhiwalla or Lahorewalla. A Berliner is a doughnut…

Hence JFK’s declaration “I am a large jelly doughnut”. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Some years ago Dutch friends of ours came over here to stay and spent a few days in Scotland on the way. On arrival our friend Wim said that he had noticed quite a few dialect words in Scots that were either the same as or very similar to words in Frisian dialect.

Dave

A Norwegian I worked with recognized some Scots dialect words, too. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Reminds me of my time in Singapore, when after a few months I asked for a cup of coffee (yat boi gafe or something similar) and the office went quiet. It was apparent from the looks on their faces they were scared, he can speak Cantonese, what has he heard when they were speaking about me etc.).

All our kids went through school here in BC in French immersion, two of them up to their last couple of years, one all the way through. They don’t get to use it much now, but say they find it quite easy to get back into it after a couple of days in a French environment.

One son also spent a couple of holidays with the French-speaking family of a school friend in Quebec in his early twenties, so picked up a lot of ‘real’ French-Canadian French. Some years later, the BC company he worked with had French Canadian contractors working on a job. Son was in a room with a couple of them who were seriously ‘dissing’ his company in French. Son just casually joined the conversation in the same tone of language they were using. Stopped the conversation dead!

• Like 5
  • Funny 6