Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

Thanks John! I’d not seen these although I’m not sure I’d have put the logo in that position myself anyway, but if anyone wants one like this I’m happy to offer a commission service for the full job.

Looking at the model and the prototype photos I think that, if I was doing a full conversion, I'd replace the dome and safety valves; add tank breathers; apply a few rivet transfers; and do a repaint with numberplates.

Unless I'm missing something major, that would be it.

John Isherwood.

PS. If really picky, perhaps replacement tank fillers and buffers.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

To me, it's yet another review where S***T****s seems to entirely miss the point of the product and its target audience. Whether it's deliberate or as a result of poor understanding, it's nice to see a lot of people in the comments seemingly call him out for unnecessarily rubbishing an amazing locomotive.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

There is a Sam's Trains review now.

TL;DR version: the painting and assembly is iffy in places, but it's good value and runs like a champ.

Such a knowledgeable chap. 

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

what is the best way to access the geared end on the motor for lubrication?

Hi Robert, as you say, just gently pull the grey box up vertically - it should just be a tight push fit in the chassis and then you can access the worm gear and worm (a touch of silicon grease wouldn’t do any harm here) and the motor bearing - just the tiniest drop of oil here, and add more if needed.

Edited by James Hilton
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, James Hilton said:

hi Robert, as you say, just gently pull the grey box up vertically - it should just be a right push fit in the chassis and then you can access the worm gear and worm (a touch of silicon grease wouldn’t do any harm here) and the motor bearing - just the tiniest drop of oil here, and add more if needed.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I’m hoping to run it at our (Barnsley) exhibition this weekend. 
Robert

• Like 1

Totally sold on this (ironically, it was the Sam's Trains review that alerted me to it!); definitely the review model too, as it worked at Astley Green colliery near Worsley (in which district I had relatives and first properly encountered steam in '68), and I could conceivably use it in a Lothian coalfield guise.

But, why are both links to purchase playing up tonight?   Arrrrrgh!!!  Somebody help me out!

Thank you. As they say, no such thing as bad publicity! It is lovely so many of you understand the product and felt compelled to say so, thank you all who have engaged here, there and everywhere in such a constructive manner.

Link to the LRS store:

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/planet-industrials

of course also available at Rails:

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/planet-industrials

2 hours ago, HExpressD said:

Out of interest, can someone at PI confirm which model has sold the best so far?

You are right!

Maroon is ahead, the others are all about the same, and perhaps not as far behind as it feels.

We have good stocks of all at Light Railway Stores.

Rails have their ROD version too, but sold out in IW&D (we’ve got those available).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

James from your plans can you tell me how many spokes the wheels had?

Gordon it’s not immediately clear as the wheels show balance weights, I’d guess 14. The drawing I just looked at is the one in the instructions, which you’ll have with the model. Hope that helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Look at the broadside shot of 667 on the last page : opposite spokes are in line so it's an even number - count between opposites and you'll get seven ....... so there would be fourteen in total ! ( crankpin between spokes )

Sorry WG but not according to the drawing by Don Townsley in the Planet Industrials pamphlet for the loco and the picture of number 19 clearly show that there are not directly opposing spokes.

A good hint for working out the spoke count.

Gordon A

• Like 1