Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Cornelius,

Any comment re the absence of a dome flange - it does look a little odd?

CJI.

When we studied the original CAD this wasn’t obvious, due to the way models are rendered in 3D. There is a very small flange on the Engineering tooling samples, but this has been lost through tool polishing and then paint on production models. Chalk it up to experience, it’s our first model.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

When we studied the original CAD this wasn’t obvious, due to the way models are rendered in 3D. There is a very small flange on the Engineering tooling samples, but this has been lost through tool polishing and then paint on production models. Chalk it up to experience, it’s our first model.

To be fair it’s not really a noticeably missing feature (from my point of view that is) main thing is the models have been delivered, they look good and run well. As you say its your first RTR loco so not going to be perfect (I mean I’d put it in the Top 3 locos for this year but I might be biased slightly).

Just need more locos of a similar calibre now………..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very convincing weathering, Dave. Was this done with brush or airbrush, please?

No airbrushes were harmed in the weathering of this model, Cap'n. Washes, brushed paint and weathering powders only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Grabbed the micro layout out of the loft this evening and gave victory a little test and I must say I am super impressed with this model 👏 

Runs super smooth straight out of the box, can negotiate the tight corners of the yard no problem and the colour of the locomotive fits in with my black and white themed layout perfectly!

Top job PI, looking forward to the next model! 

CFCAAFD6-74A4-408F-AECD-EEDC1C563400.jpeg

3A0C2750-46C3-4F67-99B5-C8149DC76ABE.jpeg

B50BFE3C-7BC8-412C-B73F-C663197B6884.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Returned from the wilds to the north of Preston (locally known as “Garstang”) where mobile signal is negligible and the WiFi service non-existent, to discover a plain but nevertheless exciting box in the porch! Hooray! She’s here at last!!

Nothing else to say - so bog-eyed from two nights looking after two coachloads of other peoples’ kids that she’ll have to await unboxing until Tuesday night!

The anticipation would be killing me, if my aching body wasn’t already!*

HOURS OF FUN!

* Amazing how physically tiring it is herding young musicians around an outdoor pursuits centre for a couple of days!! 🥱

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Here's mine getting used to its new surroundings on Ladybank Road. Runs very nicely thank you (some of my other locos sprinted away on the same controller setting!). Only (minor) problem was that it tripped over the coupling dropper a couple of times on facing points so droppers removed for now.

P1010127.JPG.6e5284e9aa3e241c50dfc8ae50857959.JPG

• Like 4

A question for @pauliebangerif I may. I am struggling to get a decent "chuff rate" for the victory and was wondering if you can offer an insight please? I am using a Zimo MS500 and CV 267 is set too the maximum value of 255 but this still gives a chuff rate of 7 per wheel revolution. And help/information gratefully received. 

P.S. well done to PI on their debut RTR loco release. 

• RMweb Premium

A quick unboxing of mine. Two very minor issues with mine, the next18 blanking plug had come out, and a slide bar had popped out of the motion bracket. 
Both fixes are covered in the video, and I suspect they occurred as the package had taken a bit of a knock on the way. I am very pleased with it however.

• Like 5

On 06/11/2022 at 15:36, James Hilton said:

I added a tiny spot of oil to the motor shafts (each end of the motor). Transformed.

I would suggest anyone who wants to improve the quietness of their Victory that this is a good course of action. Motor bush/bearing lubrication often makes a big difference to noise, but oil must only be applied very sparingly to avoid contamination of the electrical parts. 

I have done as suggested and it has made a tremendous difference. Very happy with it now and Just have to wait for my sound decoder to complete it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I had a look at my green example over the weekend. Upon fitting a Dapol imperium next18 decoder found it operated in reverse but a simple CV change sorted that. Very impressed with the running qualities and it easily pulls every goods wagon I own around my admittedly imperfect track work. My example wasn’t silent rather a pleasing whirring sound, but I’ll have a go at sparingly oiling the motor bearing to improve the already good running.

OliverSR

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have done as suggested and it has made a tremendous difference. Very happy with it now and Just have to wait for my sound decoder to complete it.

I have found that doing that has had more effect that anything else on several models, especially old ones which haven’t been run for a while. It doesn’t solve the problem always but when it does, it’s amazing.

• Like 1

Very happy with mine and have put together my own little video review. There's a rolling road test showing the loco run for the first time out of the box at 5:52 followed by a bit of running on my layout at 7:35. I'm very impressed with the slow speed - shunting wagons around was a really enjoyable with how controllable the Victory is.

As always, viewing is not compulsory 😉

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Very happy with mine and have put together my own little video review. There's a rolling road test showing the loco run for the first time out of the box at 5:52 followed by a bit of running on my layout at 7:35. I'm very impressed with the slow speed - shunting wagons around was a really enjoyable with how controllable the Victory is.

As always, viewing is not compulsory 😉

Always a pleasure to see your reviews. Dangerous too, made me but a J72 I think. Almost got me this little one as well, but I can't put my finger on it, something makes it look generic to me. Still on the fence. But please, make more reviews!

7 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

Always a pleasure to see your reviews. Dangerous too, made me but a J72 I think. Almost got me this little one as well, but I can't put my finger on it, something makes it look generic to me. Still on the fence. But please, make more reviews!

If you get the IW&D liveried version (see higher up this thread) then you are getting a de facto accurate model, no “generic” in it!

The red livery is also based upon an actual loco (“Francis”) although the lined green version is a little more of a “generic” livery, but very much in line with that seen on light railways. The all black livery is perhaps the most “generic” livery, as it allows the modeller to customise as required, whether that is unlined industrial or lined fictional BR livery.

IMHO there is nothing “generic” about the actual loco other than that they were built by a loco building company that had something of a house style. I would say the opposite - they have a very memorable outline. Indeed, one of my earliest railway modelling memories is seeing an article and drawing about these locos in a Railway Modeller, back in the black and white era! Years later, I tried (unsuccessfully!) to turn my sh1tty Hornby 0-6-0 tank loco into one using plasticard! I’ve wanted one for years - Planet Industrials finally allowed me to scratch that itch!

All I have to do now is open the box…

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

51 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

It's also very much the style of the time, with most shunters looking very similar.

I noted a repeated comment on a certain popular loco reviewers YouTube video about the loco being basic in detail. The thing the person repeatedly failed to get their head around is that the Victory is a very austere loco, there may not be comparable levels of fiddly bits that he wants to see, because the original didn't have them. 

Were over the moon with ours, and the bairns even expressed an interest in building a shunting puzzle yard just to play with this loco alone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thank you Steve.

If I’m honest 2022 has been a wonderful year for dreams realised. A photo depicting Francis has sat above my bench for the duration of the project, to act as inspiration and encouragement through the good and bad times we’ve had on the way. Now not only do I have inspiration on the wall, but on the layout too (see Steve’s (cornelius) post above).
8F607E64-70CD-4C52-95DC-8DC081EECF7F.jpeg.32f9f8e12a7dae00c8ae984712ea0b74.jpeg

I have just finished the first of a short list of more involved customisations, more photos and a description on the blog today:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2022/11/commission-victory-in-br-black.html

Still to tackle are some East Kent based ones, a Rio Tinto conversion and then the Lambton cab and GWR etched tank conversions.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, cornelius said:

James has been working on weathering and fitting detail to his maroon loco. I think I'm happy to let the model speak for itself.

314350756_542505834551772_31917120090068

For my own part, I don’t like weathering but I’m very strongly tempted to add those plates when mine appears.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

Thank you Steve.

If I’m honest 2022 has been a wonderful year for dreams realised. A photo depicting Francis has sat above my bench for the duration of the project, to act as inspiration and encouragement through the good and bad times we’ve had on the way. Now not only do I have inspiration on the wall, but on the layout too (see Steve’s (cornelius) post above).
8F607E64-70CD-4C52-95DC-8DC081EECF7F.jpeg.32f9f8e12a7dae00c8ae984712ea0b74.jpeg

I have just finished the first of a short list of more involved customisations, more photos and a description on the blog today:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2022/11/commission-victory-in-br-black.html

Still to tackle are some East Kent based ones, a Rio Tinto conversion and then the Lambton cab and GWR etched tank conversions.

For those who are interested in seeing what the real 667 looked like in BR days : -

667_01.jpg.c28f83352799f33b73e3383bc964e610.jpg

Copyright unknown

667_02.JPG.87eaf28a643f291f989b9f5a359b30fc.JPG

Copyright unknown

John Isherwood.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3