Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

My Lucknow has also arrived today, joining her crimson sister. A little bit of minor work needed, as a tender axle and tender buffer had each come out at some point, but once popped back in (and a dab of glue for the buffer) all in lovely condition.

Now I just need to get some free time in the garage to put them on the test track!

IMG_20211220_154144.jpg

IMG_20211220_154430.jpg

IMG_20211220_154448.jpg

Edited by Dragonfly
  • Like 4

As an international Rails customer my Precedent has been deferred until after Christmas.  I'll take as karma that Australia is now 2-0 against England in the current Ashes series. :beee:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

Picked up my Lucknow from the Post Office this morning on the way to work - Only managed a quick look but it appears the front left buffer has gone exploring down the other end of the box. No bother though, it's an easy fix! (I'm actually amazed nothing else was damaged with the way the lady in the post office was hurling around the very-obviously-labelled-as-fragile box!). 

Aside from that though, it looks a gorgeous model and I can't wait to get home later and pop it on the rolling road! 

- James 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Picked up my Lucknow from the Post Office this morning on the way to work - Only managed a quick look but it appears the front left buffer has gone exploring down the other end of the box. No bother though, it's an easy fix! (I'm actually amazed nothing else was damaged with the way the lady in the post office was hurling around the very-obviously-labelled-as-fragile box!). 

Aside from that though, it looks a gorgeous model and I can't wait to get home later and pop it on the rolling road! 

- James 

Are you surprised Parcel delivery firms don't know the meaning of the word " Fragile"

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, johnd said:

Are you surprised Parcel delivery firms don't know the meaning of the word " Fragile"

"Fragile" means test with all vigour, doesn't it? If it ain't rattling and deformed, you haven't been thorough enough.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2021 at 08:28, Jol Wilkinson said:

The information required to design LNWR carriages is readily available (I know that because I've done it with etched kits).

Is the current level of RTR competition driving the need for ever more accurate models? Judging by the Hornby tv programme currently running, do the RTR manufacturers/commissioners prefer to create a model of something that they can actually photograph, measure and 3D scan? There are very few LNWR (and possibly other pre-group railway) in preservation.

Would the economics work out? Lets say you design and tool up for three of four different coaches, albeit of  the same style such as LNWR 42ft corridor stock, what sales do you need and at what price for that to be profitable? The likelihood would be that you might sell one set for each loco sold at best. This is a very loco centred hobby as we have seen from the enthusiasm for this new loco, despite the lack of stock to go with it, other than the generic coaches from Hornby and Hattons. Those that collect RTR locos might not want to buy any coaches.

My own stock of LNWR models currently stands at ten passenger locos and thirty five carriages and that is a not enough coaches for a balanced representation of operation (like many modellers I have too many of the rare/unusual and not enough of the everyday).

The Bachmann SE&CR 'birdcage' coaches are probably the ones to look at for a comparison here - 3 different vehicles with a 40-some year lifespan, produced in 5 liveries (two pre-group, two grouping and one BR), but very much at the higher end of the price range (Rails, as it's their thread, currently have the SE&CR livery ones at £71.50 each). I don't know what the sales figures are for them, but a quick look though a couple of the larger retailers shows the two pre-group and the later grouping liveries still in stock, and the earlier grouping and BR liveries sold out. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Bar the two front buffers coming out of my Talavera, I am certainly impressed by this arrival. Magnificant in her LMS livery. Now you've the tender please bring out a LNWR Cauliflower guys!! 

Out of interest, can this model be used to represent the last member of the class, LNWR 25001 'Snowdon'?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nick C said:

The Bachmann SE&CR 'birdcage' coaches are probably the ones to look at for a comparison here - 3 different vehicles with a 40-some year lifespan, produced in 5 liveries (two pre-group, two grouping and one BR), but very much at the higher end of the price range (Rails, as it's their thread, currently have the SE&CR livery ones at £71.50 each). I don't know what the sales figures are for them, but a quick look though a couple of the larger retailers shows the two pre-group and the later grouping liveries still in stock, and the earlier grouping and BR liveries sold out. 

They were very heavily discounted though.

I got a three car BR set for £100. Which was about half the price I paid for my Roxey version when you consider the extras such as the wheels and finishing kit. Thankfully I got the Roxey version with the different composite coach which Bachmann don't do. So at least it's different.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone remember the Hattons Generic coaches in LNW livery ?

The Hattons generics thread was largely killed off since the delay to June 2022 was announced, but aiui they are still coming…

thats the best rtr option for LNW coaches (It might be an even bet that Hornby might do some as well).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nile said:

They already tried, and failed, to do LNWR livery.

Yep Hornby generics will do for now, and yes I’d love to have the right coaches but too many other projects take up the building stock so these will remain an indulgence ;) 

2E021C63-B3A0-4C28-9F43-A90A778EA0CF.jpeg.9db0900900e4447165cccefd19a0217a.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi PaulRhB

Could I ask how you went about painting the roof on Hardwicke please ?

Would be helpful to me to know too, I’m thinking Games Workshop, abaddon  black base (bought for the job but not yet applied).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Hi PaulRhB

Could I ask how you went about painting the roof on Hardwicke please ?

Tamiya flat black brushed on thin as a primer then I masked off the two brass whistles with the insulation off some wire and a bit of heatshrink, (I was shrinking the tube with the soldering iron a bit at a time and offering it up until it was a cozy fit).

Then I popped the loco in a plastic bag, I’d cut a slit in for the cab to go through, and masked around the sides and gave it a top coat with Halfords satin black spray I had in stock. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Thanks, excellent job and really improves the look of the loco imo.

I want a black cab top on mine and then run it with 3 or 4 BR blue grey Mk1s as I saw and photographed it running with. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, john new said:

I want a black cab top on mine and then run it with 3 or 4 BR blue grey Mk1s as I saw and photographed it running with. 

I saw it with 4 Mark 1s in May 1976 going from  Grange over Sands to  Carnforth. This was at Arnside. Trevor

790 Hardwicke Arnside May 76 0273a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I got to finally unwrap and open my Lucknow today and it is a lovely little thing. One snag with It it though  is that the packing material seems to have reacted with the cab roof. It’s not able to be wiped off and I’m reluctant to use anything aggressive on it until I’ve spoken to Rails on Wednesday. Has anyone else had a similar experience or could give me any advice? Thanks as always! 

13770D5A-0579-4330-8112-51BBDEA405E1.jpeg

Edited by MartynA
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm glad to see that people are getting their deliveries - the models look amazing and the reviews seem to back that up.

I'm a first-time Rails customer. I pre-ordered this loco back in November, but haven't heard anything from them since then - no dispatch notice and no extra payment taken. When I checked my account it says the price has increased to £250, so I have £220 left to pay. This seems... odd... since their website shows it as in stock for £220.

I will drop them a line on Wednesday, but I just wondered if anyone else is in the same position?

Thanks,

Rob

EDIT:

I've spoken to them - the price discrepancy is a website glitch and my order is on the dispatch backlog. I'm really looking forward to seeing it now! 

Edited by RobGlos
Update after speaking to Rails
  • Like 2